rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Knives Out - Rian Johnson whodunnit

Rian Johnson writes and directs a whodunnit murder mystery with a bunch of people in a house where someone done a murder and everyone is a suspect. Stars Daniel Craig (DAT ACCENT), Chris Evans, Ana De Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, Don Johnson, Michael Shannon, Toni Collette, LaKeith Stanfield, Katherine Langford, Jaeden Martell and Christopher Plummer. Out 27 November US (apparently 29 in UK)

• Upvote 2

tumblr_p7e4vvY9zf1xpdwtoo1_500.gif

That looks like it could be fun.  Very hard to tell from the trailer, with the crazy over-the-top music, whereas the film looks like it could be quite a sedate affair.

• Upvote 2

I was just coming to post this, I think it looks great. The cast is awesome. 

Chris Evan's is really letting lose by the looks of it. I see his next few roles being the complete antithesis of Cap.

4 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Chris Evan's is really letting lose by the looks of it. I see his next few roles being the complete antithesis of Cap.

He dabbled with that in The Iceman some years back. :)

Looks fun. I am slightly cautious of Rian Johnson's films, as despite thinking the Last Jedi was a masterpiece, I haven't really got on with his other stuff - Looper had some great bits and some bits that didn't work at all, I had to stop watching the Brothers Bloom about 45 minutes in as it was so self-consciously kooky and twee that I could feel the murder rising in me, and I haven't watched Brick as it looks even more twee than the Brothers Fucking Bloom. Still, that does look interesting - although what the hell was that CSI: KFC joke all about? Maybe I'm just tired, but I didn't understand it.

1 minute ago, K said:

although what the hell was that CSI: KFC joke all about? Maybe I'm just tired, but I didn't understand it.

About Craig's accent being a bit Colonel Sanders?

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, K said:

I haven't watched Brick as it looks even more twee than the Brothers Fucking Bloom.

I'd consider again. Twee's definitely not the word I'd used to describe Brick. More high school noir.

I've never seen Brothers Bloom, mind.

• Upvote 2

Brick is a great film. This looks like Clue, also a great film. Is that the US name for Cluedo? It just feels all wrong without the "do". 

On 04/07/2019 at 23:53, stefcha said:

This looks like Clue, also a great film.

I'll be happy if it's half as good as Clue. What a fantastic movie.

I really didn't like this trailer, but the cast looks outstanding. And after directing 'The Fly' episode of Breaking Bad, Rian has me for life.

On 04/07/2019 at 09:04, James Lyon said:

I'd consider again. Twee's definitely not the word I'd used to describe Brick. More high school noir.

I've never seen Brothers Bloom, mind.

Twee's probably the wrong word, but the whole concept of kids speaking in this Raymond Chandler / Miller's Crossing kind of hard-boiled slang really puts me off. It just seems like such an affectation. Brothers Bloom does the same thing, except with a kind of retro thirties ambience to the story and setting rather than with the dialogue, and it annoyed the shit out of me.

5 minutes ago, K said:

Twee's probably the wrong word, but the whole concept of kids speaking in this Raymond Chandler / Miller's Crossing kind of hard-boiled slang really puts me off. It just seems like such an affectation. 

You're correct to be wary, it's really annoying.

• Upvote 1

On 07/07/2019 at 14:54, K said:

Twee's probably the wrong word, but the whole concept of kids speaking in this Raymond Chandler / Miller's Crossing kind of hard-boiled slang really puts me off. It just seems like such an affectation.

Are we talking Bugsy Malone, or worse ?

@jonamokWatching The Boys at the moment - I thought he was straight up Antipodean for two episodes and then suddenly he was mentioning English things and doing half a London accent. Most confusing.