rllmuk
bradigor

Women's Football 2019/20

Has been a terrific World Cup to watch. The game has come on leaps and bounds in the last 4 years. If that growth continues at that sort of pace, then the next one will be even better. 

Bleacher Report uploaded this cursed image, then swiftly deleted the tweet when everyone was like “what in the name of everloving fuck is this”

200005F4-ECA1-49B8-A28D-D2B7844C9A6F.thumb.jpeg.f6f45f3ee4cbb6911d281ecb15080223.jpeg

The US v England felt like the real final, a cracking end to end match that really should have gone to extra time. The US just squeezed the Dutch out here.

Deserved winners in the end but it was clinical rather than romantic.

Roll on the Olympics!

4 hours ago, The Fox said:

Bleacher Report uploaded this cursed image, then swiftly deleted the tweet when everyone was like “what in the name of everloving fuck is this”

200005F4-ECA1-49B8-A28D-D2B7844C9A6F.thumb.jpeg.f6f45f3ee4cbb6911d281ecb15080223.jpeg

Lol that airbrushed style looks like it’s painted on the Waltzers

• Upvote 1

So all this recent talk of doing double headers with Men's Premier League games. How do we all feel about it?

England do it once a series in the rugby at Twickenham, I think it's a nice way of growing the audience and giving the womens' teams a bit more of a big match experience. I guess I don't know how well it'll work with teams where the men's match is largely season ticket holders and so on though.

The main problem I have is, who is it aimed at? 

I like going to see Women's football because it is affordable and still highly entertaining. The main thing is I WANT to see it. If all of a sudden I am having to pay a larger amount to watch at a stadium where many there likely don't give a damn about the game, then that becomes off-putting. 

I am confused on how they expect to do the turn around. Is the Women's match ticketed on its own? Is it on the same day? Different days? Do I need a ticket to both? How much does it cost to only watch the women. Can they safely turn empty the stadium from game 1 ready for game 2?

I'd like to see the best WSL teams get to play in better stadiums, but let them have it as a platform of their own. Let Liverpool play at Anfield on a weekend when Liverpool are away* do the £9 tickets all over the ground and it will soon start to fill up. Hell even offer free tickets to families to get them interested. 

I just don't think lumping it in with the men's game works. It makes it a sideshow. 

*Arrange the days based on when Everton are playing so policing isn't affected too much. 

NOTE: this is speculation from me, I've barely read anything about it but:

They're not going to do double-headers every game, it'll likely be one match per team per season. The goal being to get more of the club's regular fans to stay behind and watch a game and see that it's entertaining. You just get to see the second game for free as part of your ticket for the first. People who are specifically going just for the women's team I'm not sure what they'll be offered for that match - potentially they'll assume enough people leave that they can get you in at a later time than the men's match, but I suspect that's logistically too hard for them to offer, so it'll just be a game you miss for a lot of people I bet. Maybe they'll think of something clever.

They already know that it's not economically worth their while opening the big stadia for cheap tickets for most games, they still won't pull in enough punters. That may change as it grows, and I think these double-headers are part of the process to get there.

Make a bit more sense?

Yes, it makes sense, just hope they can find a decent solution. However

For a start... bravo to Chelsea. 100% free entry to Chelsea vs Tottenham

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48912097

However, it will be a WSL first for both City and Chelsea, who have previously played at Stamford Bridge in the Champions League.

Chelsea have made entry to their match on Sunday, 8 September completely free at the 41,000-capacity stadium, Chelsea FC's home for 114 years.

City have a ticket offer which will allow children aged under-16 in free.

Gavin Makel, City's head of women's football, said the club "wanted to kick off the new season with a bang" following England fourth-place finish at the Women's World Cup in France.

United and Spurs will be in the WSL next season after winning promotion from the Championship in 2018-19.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, that's how you drive new fans.  I've already got my tickets.  Going with my dad and brother, which is our usual cup game group but my sister in law is going to come along too.

Not my first women's football game at the Bridge, the CL final a few years back between Lyon and Wolfsburg was played there.

9 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, that's how you drive new fans.  I've already got my tickets.  Going with my dad and brother, which is our usual cup game group but my sister in law is going to come along too.

Not my first women's football game at the Bridge, the CL final a few years back between Lyon and Wolfsburg was played there.

Never been to Stamford Bridge... how do I get tickets? My partner and I are going to take my son and daughter. 

Kelly Smith, unintentionally, very briefly covers this subject in the podcast I linked to yesterday. She's talking about being at the World Cup (in 2007?) and how she was blown away by how many people were there to watch them play, she says something like "and they weren't there because they'd been out to watch the men play either". So whilst I think there's some positivity in this id also be wary that it's kind of like the local band playing as a support act at a gig

9 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I'm 18 rows ahead of you. I shall endeavour to say hello.

Yeah man, for sure. We'll be the ones screaming at our kids ;) 

In one of the ends, but I forget which now. The West Stand didn't have three seats together by the time I was looking at tickets.

15 hours ago, Dudley said:

https://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?agency=CLFC_PUBLIC&organ_val=51291&pid=8730353

They've only opened the West lower for now.

The system is not setup for free tickets so it'll ask for a debit card it then won't use.

Thanks for this, just booked tickets for the family and sent it round to one of the kid’s football teams, so looks like there’s 20+ of us going along from there. 

I also sent the link to my wife. Back in September one of the local teams run by a friend of ours decided to start a women’s veteran football team. They joined a league, train every Friday, have abilities that range from an ex-Chelsea player to women who can barely kick a ball. 

They’ve bonded so well from the start, to the extent they went on a football tour in France last month. After every training session they have a few drinks in a nearby social club and it’s been great to see. They’re now talking about all of them going with their families - that would be around 80 more people! 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, bradigor said:

Yeah man, for sure. We'll be the ones screaming at our kids ;) 

That will.... not narrow it down.