Sonic CD, PC?

Pandy

Its good. Great soundtrack ( although they say the japanese is better ). Imo the level designs are not as good as the MD classics. But close enough.

Bosses are crap though. Future and past element is great.

Its worth getting just for the sonic vs metal sonic race.

BUT HERES THE CATCH!!!

Sonic CD WONT WORK ON ANYTHING ABOVE WINDOWS 95.

So you better find that mega cd emu and sonic cd rom, like I did.

Its poo on PC, i had it and its like all pc side scrollers.

PC's for whatever reason can not scroll properly.

Thats now changed since Video Cards took over the graphics. Theres loads of shooters on the PC now that scroll properly, but the early PD/Shareware platformers used to move quite badly. Odd, given the power of the processors at the time.

Intrestingly The EMU's (well MAME) use the processor only. The V/Card is only used for FX (because every card is different).

Still, the fact i got Tekken 3 working at some (fairly) decent speed says something for its progess. Ehgeiz is cool too.

I think it was more a case of poor programming as Doom scrolled rather well (i'd have guessed it harder to do 3D then 2D).

What the hell are you talking about? Doom is 3D. Those big walls? Polygons. Only the baddies are 2D scaling objects.

The Blitz 3D version of Wolfenstein was the one that used 2D trickery.

Aaaanyway, PC games scrolled poorly in comparison to console games because they didn't have any hardware scrollers.

What the hell are you talking about? Doom is 3D. Those big walls? Polygons. Only the baddies are 2D scaling objects.

The Blitz 3D version of Wolfenstein was the one that used 2D trickery.

Aaaanyway, PC games scrolled poorly in comparison to console games because they didn't have any hardware scrollers.

I'm sure the walls were just big bitmaps scaled and rotated. Could be wrong, though.

Its poo on PC, i had it and its like all pc side scrollers.

Megacd version is much better.

Commander Keen (Written by John Carmack btw) was able to scroll perfectly on 286 class machines.

if the game is synced to 60Hz and your monitor refresh is 50/80/100/anything else but 60, then the scrolling will look shit, yes.

this applies to emulators too.

I have my refresh permanently set to 60Hz, not ideal for general windows use as you can kind of see the refresh, but *utterly necessary* for good retro gaming.

and then to play Amiga SWOS I have to set it to 50Hz :(

Yeah i u hate sync issues and tearing in 3d games.

I physically can not run @ 60hz on a monitor, even 75hx strains my eyes - i had to use 85hz and finally moved to a TFT.

All irrelevant as Mac boy now.

How 60hz doesnt kill your eyes i dont know (technically 60hz is illegal on a monitor these days !!!)

I wrote a huge reply stating how Doom wasn't 3D but it got lost. To reiterate : Doom used a technique called raycasting that, I believe, isn't quite the same as the polygon theory and techniques we use today. Google it and I'm sure you'll find out more.

Well, you could argue that Elite doesn't use current polygon theory (although it does have more in common with it than Doom's visuals do), but I'd not say it's any less 3D. I guess it's a matter of semantics- if I get reasonably consistent vanishing points and a horizon in a game, it's 3D, IMO.