Jump to content

Glastonbury new for 2022 (includes 2019 chat)


Stanley
 Share

Recommended Posts

So who is going this year then?

 

The excitement has properly started for me now, feels like a lifetime ago that we secured our tickets.

 

Whilst I wasn't blown away by the initial line-up, the electronic music line-up is actually incredible. Can't think of a single DJ I want to see who isn't playing there. 

 

I am looking forward to that amazing feeling you get when you get there, you have pitched your tent, you pull out your camping chair, crack the first tinnie, and look out over the whole festival site. Nothing beats that feeling. :wub:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d love to go but I’m too old for all that. Richard Fearless is playing I believe, would definitely be near the top of my list. 
 

I’ve just heard Paul McCartney is headlining, so that will be amazing, and also, Confidence Man :wub:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rog said:

Tickets arrived yesterday! Not super sold on the lineup, as mentioned I think I’ll be at more DJ sets & electronica than usual. Can’t wait!

 

The West Holts stage is pretty much my dream festival for the daytime:

 

image.png.57ac934a5ec8053ed68cf29143915efe.png

 

I am going to have to consciously make an effort to not just camp there all three days.

 

Would have happily bought a £250 ticket to a festival with just that lineup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am off.

 

I know the pandemic isn't over over, but this was one of the one big things I had planned for 2020 (and is still yet to happen), that got killed by it and i'm doing so assuming I get there (don't trust anything til i am there these days).  It will feel a bit like a palette cleanser after 2 years.

 

I am very excited the lineup is pretty decent there's definitely a variety of stuff i'll be more than happy to go see, and no doubt a few clashes.

 

McCartney headlined (04?) which was my first glasto and was excellent live, and Pet Shop Boys were brilliant the year they did this and Latitude.

 

Lots down the lower order as well need to give it a real study.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Little Simz should be on a bigger stage on the Friday, I think the crowd for her will be absolutely massive.

 

I know West Holts is pretty big but she is an Other Stage or Pyramid level talent.

 

If her next album hits like Sometimes I Might Be Introvert did I can easily see her headlining in '23 or '24.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Some of this strikes me as a bit ridiculous

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-61786611

 

Sir Lenny was discussing diversity and places where different groups do not mix when he said: "It's interesting to watch Glastonbury and look at the audience and not see any black people there.

"I'm always surprised by the lack of black and brown faces at festivals. I think, 'Wow, that's still very much a dominant culture thing'."

Glastonbury Festival has been contacted for comment.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/07/2019 at 22:51, ZOK said:

I’m seeing Grace Jones in August being supported by Lauren Hill and Neneh Cherry - LH better shape up!


If anyone was still wondering, Lauren Hill was nothing short of amazing in Bristol that year, although Grace Jones preceded her and was so brilliant she almost needn’t have bothered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Plissken said:

It's hard to disagree with him and there is a definite number of people having a go yet carefully forgetting Noel Gallagher's comments from a few years ago.

 

Yes, looking back on it all the controversy around Jay Z headlining was very, very grim looking back on it. Pretty much open racism in a lot of cases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve not been to Glastonbury since 2008/9 I think but I’ve always found it fairly diverse, along with most other festivals I’ve been to really.

 

I guess it depends who you go with and where you go as much as anything. If you do a straw poll of the main stage it’s probably not the same…or watching it on telly, as we’ve discussed before.
 

Of course most of the years I went to Glastonbury you could break in or wangle it…I’ve also had free tickets or was there working, so that will have changed my perception of things too no doubt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’ve not been to Glastonbury since 2008/9 I think but I’ve always found it fairly diverse, along with most other festivals I’ve been to really.

 

I guess it depends who you go with and where you go as much as anything. If you do a straw poll of the main stage it’s probably not the same…or watching it on telly, as we’ve discussed before.
 

Of course most of the years I went to Glastonbury you could break in or wangle it…I’ve also had free tickets or was there working, so that will have changed my perception of things too no doubt.

 

Over 10% of the UK population are BAME. I've been to Glastonbury five times now and I think you'd have to be very, very optimistic to think that 25k BAME people attend.

 

I would be surprised if the number was even a quarter of that, it is a very, very white crowd. 

 

Although I think class is an even bigger issue, to be honest.

 

And I say all that as someone who loves Glastonbury. I don't think we should sugar-coat the fact that it is ultimately a middle class white festival.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d have no problem saying 10% of people at Glastonbury when I’d been were of ethic minority origin - anecdotally, I’d definitely put the percentage higher than that. But as I said, that perception reflects who you are with and where you go. No matter how many times I’ve been, I certainly wouldn’t consider myself an authority on the attendance of the festival as a whole.

 

The class thing I’d have viewed much the same, and skewed higher against middle class people - but as I’ve not been there in well over a decade I’m not talking about the festival today, it may well be completely different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

 

Yes, looking back on it all the controversy around Jay Z headlining was very, very grim looking back on it. Pretty much open racism in a lot of cases.

 

Maybe, but also musical snobbery too - IIRC Metallica got a hard time for headlining the main stage one year as not being suitable for the festival. 

 

Not everything comes down to racism or sexism, or a class structure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, englishbob said:

 

Maybe, but also musical snobbery too - IIRC Metallica got a hard time for headlining the main stage one year as not being suitable for the festival. 

 

Not everything comes down to racism or sexism, or a class structure.

 

A bunch of rich white men and pundits telling a rich black man that he isn't welcome at an event predominantly attended by white people.

 

Like, the kindest possible way you could describe that is 'problematic'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Isaac said:

 

A bunch of rich white men and pundits telling a rich black man that he isn't welcome at an event predominantly attended by white people.

 

Like, the kindest possible way you could describe that is 'problematic'.

 

Is that what they said?, or was it that they just didn't think rap was suitable, like metal, for the main stages ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it’s elements of both. I mean hip hop was always seen as ‘not proper music’ by the sort of nobs who would think it’s not proper music (indie kids essentially but I hesitate to generalise)…is that down to music snobbery or racism? You can see it as either or, and it was often a mixture of both - but it amounts to the same thing, which is simple gatekeeping. Which is what happened at Glastonbury.

 

I suppose the salient point is he was booked to play it, and the organisers didn’t care what anyone was going to say about that. And he got a massive crowd as a consequence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think it is very diverse.

 

Whatever year it was Bright Eyes played the John Peel and Conor Oberst was out of it and said a bunch of shit like 'wave your credit cards in the air to make poverty history' and various shit which he later apologised for i was sort of annoyed because it was pretty true and also anyone think Peel would have been upset by that his favourite band were the Fall? 

 

It definitely has diversity but from my pov it doesn't seem that diverse.

 

On more important news i'm sat in the air waiting for my flight back! 2 and a half years waiting for this glasto is prob the biggest commitment i've ever made in my life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/06/2022 at 16:21, Isaac said:

 

A bunch of rich white men and pundits telling a rich black man that he isn't welcome at an event predominantly attended by white people.

 

Like, the kindest possible way you could describe that is 'problematic'.

I think a lot of people simply felt that a rapper headlining didn't really fit in with the festival. Just like a lot of people thought Metallica didn't fit in. 

 

Bit like if Paul McCartney headlined  a hip hop festival I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Rotten Ralph said:

I think a lot of people simply felt that a rapper headlining didn't really fit in with the festival. Just like a lot of people thought Metallica didn't fit in. 

 

Bit like if Paul McCartney headlined  a hip hop festival I guess.

 

Before Jay Z they had booked the Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill, and others. As Eavis said in an interview:

 

Quote

'We've been doing that [hip hop] for years. We had Cypress Hill many years ago. Anyway, it was my daughter Emily's idea and it was supported by some very good references, otherwise I wouldn't have done it.'

 

It was racism dressed up as 'musical taste'.

 

The fuss around Metallica was tiny in comparison, and was mainly focused around the fact that James Hetfield likes to do a spot of bear-hunting in his spare time. It was hardly across the tabloids for multiple weeks like the Jay Z thing was.

 

Glastonbury has evolved now musically anyway. It now has probably the best electronic music lineup of any major festival, for example. Thank fuck it's no longer the festival equivalent of Q magazine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Thank fuck it's no longer the festival equivalent of Q magazine.


Mate, it’s nearly £300 a ticket. It’s never been more like the festival equivalent of Q magazine! :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, ZOK said:


Mate, it’s nearly £300 a ticket. It’s never been more like the festival equivalent of Q magazine! :lol:

 

Fair cop, but I mean in terms of line-up really. 

 

The artists they get now are so much more interesting than they were, and it feels far less targeted at middle aged bearded white men than it ever has been. They are mostly confined to a single small part of the festival now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

 

Fair cop, but I mean in terms of line-up really. 

 

The artists they get now are so much more interesting than they were, and it feels far less targeted at middle aged bearded white men than it ever has been. They are mostly confined to a single small part of the festival now.


I just don’t think that’s ever who it’s really been targeted at, and if you choose to judge from the diversity of performers, it’s almost unclassifiable. Certainly it’s traditionally had a wide range of ages in attendance from toddlers to grannies, but as it’s become more expensive it has priced out younger people and skewed more towards people who can afford it, who tend to be older. Certainly if you look at any footage of the Eighties, Nineties or Noughties (or can remember it because you were there) that description doesn’t really jive. Unless you mean the Hell’s Angels, of course!

 

But again, the festival’s most recent years are unfamiliar to me. The most I’ve ever paid to get in was £2 to a scouser who was holding open a hole he’d cut in the fence, so times change.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, roobarb said:

We're going, can't bloody wait!! :omg:

We have coach tickets so not getting there until later during Thursday.

Any tips on where best to camp?

 

If you're going on Thursday all the campsites closest to the stages will be full (they will be full by mid day on Wednesday). 

 

You're probably looking at Pylon, or South Park, or some of the other fields in the quieter zones, a bit further out. 

 

When you get in a steward will be there to direct you to where there is space, probably not worth picking somewhere as it just depends what is already full on the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/06/2022 at 15:24, Isaac said:

 

Over 10% of the UK population are BAME. I've been to Glastonbury five times now and I think you'd have to be very, very optimistic to think that 25k BAME people attend.

 

I would be surprised if the number was even a quarter of that, it is a very, very white crowd. 

 

Although I think class is an even bigger issue, to be honest.

 

And I say all that as someone who loves Glastonbury. I don't think we should sugar-coat the fact that it is ultimately a middle class white festival.

Not wishing to derail the thread, but you may want to knock using the acronym BAME on the head. 

According to several UK polls Ethnic minority Britons tend to think the term "BAME" isn't representative or helpful.

 

Anyways, back to Glasto! This will be my 15th festival over 22ish years and it’s never lost it’s appeal. I can’t wait! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.