rllmuk
Stanley

Glastonbury 2019

Didn’t see much a Glastonbury on tv this year as we were away on holiday. However I enjoyed some of The Cure, although they seemed strangely underwhelming for a headliner. Chemical Brothers were great and, as usual, Janelle Monae was phenomenal. 

• Downvote 1

Chemical Brothers were good, but as a performance, not really. It's just a fancy light show - they don't appear to be doing anything, it's all pre-programmed.

• Empathy 1

On 12/07/2019 at 12:35, ChewMagma said:

Meanwhile though...

Are we supposed to be laughing at that tweeter?

Because having prop speakers on stage is something pretty much every rock or metal band has done at some stage or another. It's called theatre.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

Are we supposed to be laughing at that tweeter?

Because having prop speakers on stage is something pretty much every rock or metal band has done at some stage or another. It's called theatre.

I think the tweet is interesting because although we are well aware that rock bands have always done this sort of thing with amps, I have never been aware of a pop act having a fake modular system on stage. It is fascinating that the most nerdy of all sound-generating devices is considered cool enough now to warrant having a fake one on stage for a huge act like Miley Cyrus. I'm just curious if this is theatre then who is it intended to appeal to?

• Upvote 1

On 01/07/2019 at 08:59, Gotters said:

I watched a good 30mins on TV of Billy Eilish and whilst I'm sure I'm not her target demographic as a 49y old bloke it was great - I'd never even heard of her before, not sure the daylight setting helped her as she has some lovely off kilter odd sounding backing tracks - don't think she sang much of it live either but I was quite impressed and for 17y old she seemed a rather fully formed act that knew where she was heading.

Watching on TV a lot of the vocals I heard sounded a little off, like there was some autotune or clean up being applied to them and they weren't just being transmitted as they were performed.

Billie Eilish is amazing.

I'm 50.

If I'm honest, my favourite performance of the festival was Reef. First time I've ever watched an oldies Sunday headliner! Ok The Cure are older, but they were on the main stage so they don't count. Also really enjoyed Morcheeba. Bit of a 90s fest and however much I fool myself that I'm into the more recent/less popular bands it's hard to beat a set where you know all of the songs.

Kylie was also great, I nearly shit when she brought Nick Cave on.