rllmuk
Stanley

Glastonbury 2019

7 hours ago, Stanley said:

Kylie drew the biggest crowd I think I've ever seen so make of that what you will.

You're never gonna the full experience just watching on TV. For a start a good deal of the acts aren't televised. So Black Midi, the most exciting guitar band around right now played, but tbh they would have fallen on deaf ears on the Pyramid or Other stage, and they're just one of many.

I enjoyed most of what I saw, and there were loads of traditional guitar based bands, amazing ones, and loads of new stuff too.

Let's be honest most of us here are too old to be into the likes of Stormzy or Billie Eilish - but a good proportion of attendees are young - who the fuck is anyone to dictate what they should listen to? 

The sound mix wasn't always great but overall I thought there was something for everyone, from jazz to rock, grime, pop, indie, techno..

Highlight for me was seeing Kamasi Washington play, the guy is incredible, but the best performance was The Cure, I just thought they sounded amazing beginning to end.

You cheeky **** - I love Stormzy.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Mugman said:

Yep. If you're saying Glastonbury has gone to the dogs/it was better in my day then for me, the festival is doing its job. 

Glastonbury has way more to offer us oldies than any other festival that the "youth" might go to. Not on the pyramid mind. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, wev said:

It's not like there was a lack of anything else, if you were there then there's plenty of stages offering something different, if you're at home the BBC had most of everything else available on their website or via red button (although I can't find any thing to do with Slaves who I'm sure we're playing on the same stage as Babymetal and Bring Me The Horizon). Kylie's not my cup of tea, but as a performer who can still draw a huge crowd after 30 years of recording pop songs I'd not say no to her being at Glastonbury and that "Glastonbury have sold out" comment is laughable, it's not like it's some underground event, it's the biggest music festival in the country and one of the biggest in the world.

The BBC didn't have most of everything, so so much of it is untelevised, particularly the dance stuff. None of block 9, Shangri la, Arcadia or silver Hayes is really televised, and that's more acts than you get at most other festivals.

That's why it pisses me off when people say that Glastonbury is full of MoR music. You can tell that people who say that have never been, because there is so, so much niche music there that doesn't get on TV.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Isaac said:

The BBC didn't have most of everything, so so much of it is untelevised, particularly the dance stuff. None of block 9, Shangri la, Arcadia or silver Hayes is really televised, and that's more acts than you get at most other festivals.

That's why it pisses me off when people say that Glastonbury is full of MoR music. You can tell that people who say that have never been, because there is so, so much niche music there that doesn't get on TV.

Fair enough.

My general point was pretty much what you said at the end there, even with what you said initially there's plenty available for most people who can't attend. Moaning because Kylie performed and isn't to a person's taste is ignoring that others will have gone to see her or watched on TV and been exposed to something else that they may not have bothered with otherwise.

• Upvote 1

Anyway, on a lighter note, I just got back from this and I think that was the best weekend I can remember. Kylie was brilliant, particularly as we were surrounded by people dressed like Kylie in kylie masks who were really going for it. The atmosphere really doesn't come across on TV.

Also loved Miley Cyrus. Other highlights we saw:

High Contrast Band (their cover of God only knows is truly special)

Hospitality takeover (S.P.Y. and others)

Crazy P

Sean Paul (everyone again was slagging this off online but in the tent I can honestly say that his set was the most I saw anybody dance all weekend - he had everyone dancing for about 90 minutes straight)

Stormzy

Lizzo

Jeff Goldblum

George Fitzgerald

And countless other smaller acts we stumbled across that I can't remember the names of.

Only disappointment for me was Lauryn Hill, who was genuinely terrible and murdered her own library, but I saw so much other good stuff that I'm happy to forget that. I won't be seeing her again though.

• Upvote 4

Reading back through this thread, I think people should just stop watching Glastonbury on TV. 

Seriously, dancing in a sea of 60-70k people to I Should Be So Lucky with the sun beating down on you and everyone singing along and having the most camp, fun time clearly doesn't translate at all to the TV coverage.

• Upvote 1

Strange that people are begrudging Kylie performing she was due to play before and headline I guess around the spinning around era and pulled out because of breast cancer. 

Even without that she's obviously had a great career and deserved a slot.

I only watched a bit of her,  she was putting on a good show that people were loving, hard to complain about that.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Reading back through this thread, I think people should just stop watching Glastonbury on TV. 

Seriously, dancing in a sea of 60-70k people to I Should Be So Lucky with the sun beating down on you and everyone singing along and having the most camp, fun time clearly doesn't translate at all to the TV coverage.

Yes, it’s easy to forget that people think what’s on the BBC is Glastonbury, rather than more like brief whiff of it.

NYC Downlow is my favourite bit of Glastonbury, and I guess most of that isn’t ever getting on the telly.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Yes, it’s easy to forget that people think what’s on the BBC is Glastonbury, rather than more like brief whiff of it.

NYC Downlow is my favourite bit of Glastonbury, and I guess most of that isn’t ever getting on the telly.

Agreed - we ended up in there for three hours last night and it was stupidly good fun.

As an ex-Glastonbury goer, I've never minded who they have on the stages, it is a festival of "contemporary music & performing arts" :)

Saw some cracking bands any time I've been and everyone knows that the fun starts when the bands finish. Don't think I've ever been back to my tent before sunrise ;) 

I stopped going when the prices became outrageous and the chance of getting one pretty slim. No longer worth the hassle but love watching it on TV

Anyone know if Hawkwind made it into any of the BBC coverage? 

Lauryn Hill is always terrible, that shouldn't be a surprise. Session musicians hate her. 

She's the headline act in a festival at the park literally five minutes' walk from me later in the summer. I'll have the earplugs in... 

Even as a curmudgeon, I can't help but be impressed by that Kylie performance. There are performers and there are singers, she is clearly the former and she put on a great show.  When she did that version of Slow with Fashion as the backing mix, she was giving all sorts of perfectly observed Bowie type head moves and side glances.  And it wasn't a ripoff, it was clearly a little tribute, not particularly showy but there if you wanted to look for it.  That takes talent and intelligence and charisma and presence and she has it in bucketloads.

So what if the SAW material is piss weak?  If you've got a good enough performer, you can sell anything.  And that is before we get to the fact that this performance was delayed by fourteen years by the cruellest of circumstances.  You could see that this meant something to her so personally and I can't begrudge her that.  There is no way on this planet that she is a Glastonbury headline in this day and age but she drew a mahoosive crowd and I'll be honest, the wife and I had been working all day, we grabbed a bottle of wine, sat down in front of the telly, turned her set on out of curiosity and we bloody enjoyed the shit out of it because it fit the moment perfectly.

• Upvote 6

On 30/06/2019 at 15:31, Skull Commander said:

On the other note I'm all in favor of folk dressing how they want but that was just vulgar and ridiculous. 

:lol: 

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Lauryn Hill is always terrible, that shouldn't be a surprise. Session musicians hate her. 

She's the headline act in a festival at the park literally five minutes' walk from me later in the summer. I'll have the earplugs in... 

A shame that she/her career have gone this way. Miseducation is such a great a great album

I was kind of thinking that it would have been good to have Grace Jones perform at Glastonbury. 

(At least I don't think she's ever done it).

She's still a force of fucking nature, and one of the great performers and singers. 

Plus she's bonkers.

• Upvote 1

I’m seeing Grace Jones in August being supported by Lauren Hill and Neneh Cherry - LH better shape up!

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

Agreed - we ended up in there for three hours last night and it was stupidly good fun.

Nice way to do Sunday!

This was the Lauryn Hill thing I was referring to. Go to 27 minutes of this interview with Jazz musician Robert Glasper. As bafflingly often seems to be the case in general when an interviewee is giving them gold, the interviewers are keen to move on, annoyingly. 

Also she is infamously always late to her own shows and then does stuff like give terrible performances or berate her band, and makes her musicians (by all accounts everyone who has ever worked with her can't stand her) call her 'Ms Hill'. Oh and the songs are done differently from what you would expect (because she doesn't have the rights to the original arrangements, maybe?). Still gets big money bookings because people rightly loved that album. 

• Upvote 3

The great thing about Glastonbury is that it brings everyone together to bicker pointlessly about music for a weekend. You've got your open-minded poptimist sorts, your curmudgeonly musos, your folks who listen to one record a year and suddenly have an opinion on the entire current music scene....and it's all good! This thread is like a perfect little microcosm of that.

I used to have a job that involved sending us to Glastonbury just about every year, so I've been enough times to know that the BBC repeatedly fail to show even a fraction of the interesting stuff going on. I struggle to think of a more diverse festival anywhere else in the world, certainly at that kind of scale.

4 hours ago, ZOK said:

I’m seeing Grace Jones in August being supported by Lauren Hill and Neneh Cherry - LH better shape up!

I think I could live with a terrible Lauryn Hill if I were seeing Neneh and Grace on the same night.

• Upvote 1

Indeed!

Miseducation is a great album, but I’m only interested really in if she does one particular tune, because if she plays this it will go off in Bristol - Sweetest Thing Mahogany remix, a peerless Salaam Remi production:

Fuck me, I was about to say it's very unlikely she'll play a bootleg-only remix of a song that appeared on a relatively obscure soundtrack. Then I looked on discogs and now I need to replace the dodgy bootleg 12 I've cherished all these years.

I'm not sure that people should go full in with both boots on Lauryn Hill, given that she pretty much collapsed mentally after the massive success of Miseducation, ended up under the influence both personally and professionally of some very dodgy people and is a broken human being at this point, a la Whitney Houston.

Not that this excuses all of it, but there is a backstory there.  It's got to be weird to have to go out and perform material that you haven't been able to match for two decades and irretrievably fucked your life up.

16 hours ago, Isaac said:

Totally agree - it was a great set but watching it when I got home on TV didn't do it any justice.    Years and Years before hand were also pretty damn good.

On 30/06/2019 at 23:34, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

One of the best live shows I’ve ever seen on tv. She’s up there with Prince in the list of all-time-greats as far as I’m concerned. Absolutely fucking insane.

I remember the first time I saw this. Utterly blown away. A singular talent.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, JoeK said:

I was kind of thinking that it would have been good to have Grace Jones perform at Glastonbury. 

(At least I don't think she's ever done it).

She's still a force of fucking nature, and one of the great performers and singers. 

Plus she's bonkers.

This. That would be amazing.