rllmuk
Stanley

Glastonbury 2019

The Cure have saved this from being one of the worst, or the worst, Glastonbury festivals I can remember. They sound magnificent and really show up the rest of the absolute crap that has been on before them. Even Nick Cave's appearance was embarrassing. But that was a relentless and pummelling set by The Cure up to the encore, I did wonder if they'd go a bit easier on the audience but that was as intense as it could be. They really have that special magic that makes a classic headliner.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Smith looks like he's just really enjoying himself which you don't often see of bands of this age, all too often they just put in very professional, if not very emotional performances

• Upvote 1

Lizzo saved Glastonbury this year.

Not that it really needed saving as there seemed to be some great stuff going on all round - particularly the Love Unlimited Synth Orchestra - but there’s no doubt Glastonbury will belong to Lizzo for ever.

spacer.png

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Is the sound mix always so shit on the BBC? The only thing that has sounded good was the Chemical Brothers.

I thought it was sounding really good this year!

When you hear their tracks laid out end-to-end like this you realise what an uncompromising and credible artist Smith has been all these years.

And it's great not to have to sit through "make some motherfucking noooiiise Glas-ton-bury" between every song.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, choddo said:

I thought it was sounding really good this year!

The sound wasn't dodgy at all, it was because of Janet Jackson and Kylie Monogue's dubious "live" performances, where their pre-recorded vocals were quiet, but when the mic was switched on between songs the difference in volume was really noticeable.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

When you hear their tracks laid out end-to-end like this you realise what an uncompromising and credible artist Smith has been all these years.

Didn’t he write “A Forest” when he was 17, still sounds fresh and original.

Did they do The Kiss? I didn’t catch all of their set.

1 minute ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

What a time to be alive, in a world where we have Janelle Monae.

She's been incredible the whole set, what a show

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, choddo said:

Sadly not. BBC would have to bleep out the F-word.

Just now, Mr Do 71 said:

Sadly not. BBC would have to bleep out the F-word.

Given Stormzy’s set, I think that boat has well and truly sailed :)

2 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

What a time to be alive, in a world where we have Janelle Monae.

Thank god, I thought I was the only one watching her! Have the old men with the fright wigs gone to bed yet?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, choddo said:

Here's a very early version called, 'At Night'.

8 minutes ago, wullie said:

She's been incredible the whole set, what a show

One of the best live shows I’ve ever seen on tv. She’s up there with Prince in the list of all-time-greats as far as I’m concerned. Absolutely fucking insane.

• Upvote 5

43 minutes ago, choddo said:

A292B5C6-238B-4729-AFBC-BF1E6EB47D2B.jpeg

7BF6D942-EAEE-4774-8592-B2A37CEAA6F8.jpeg

• Upvote 5

There were some good highlights, but overall it felt like Glastonbury is struggling with its "identity". The Killers and The Cure were great, both felt like good festival type of concerts. There were a few other bands on the smaller stages, like Jungle, that again were great but different music to your traditional festival guitar focused stuff. 

But watching Christine and the Queens (despite having a good album), Kylie Minogue, Janet Jackson was like watching a shit, cut down version version of a Michael Jackson/Justin Timberlake concert where dancers had more presence than the musicians did. 

This paragraph on the BBC totally summed it up

But it was the pop classics that really got the crowd moving. Who'd have guessed in 1990 that, 29 years later, Better The Devil You Know would eventually become one of Glastonbury's biggest songs?

Go back to the lineup for 1990's Glastonbury

1990Poster.thumb.jpg.772f6a9b40782957c47d129e59d60774.jpg

Guess who's not on that flyer but did play in 1990... The Cure. It maybe shows how Glastonbury has lost its identify (or just sold out) when they've got Kylie Fucking Minogue playing "Better the Devil You Know".

• Upvote 3

She’s not even a musician but a performer. I saw a couple of minutes of locomotion and thought fuck this shit, it was shit then, it’s still shit now. 

• Upvote 1

If Kylie could sing I'd get it. Nostalgia, pop songs, sun and booze. Great. But I just cannot get how anyone could listen to that nasally, annoying whine of hers, she is objectively a shit singer with a terrible voice. There's no way around that. It's all about her looks and being "Kylie". Fuck off with that kitsch, ironic bullshit.

Has anyone mentioned how terrible Liam Gallagher was as well? I thought he really struggled after a decent start with Rock n Roll star. The faux-Beatlisms are horribly lumpen and dated now and the downtempo tracks in his set dragged it down even more. It was a real slog to get to the end of that. His band all look completely bored as well with their dressed by mum mod outfits and lego hair.

The Good The Bad and the Queen were decent, good festival band.

• Downvote 1