NES Appreciation Thread

10 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I know we have a fair few people interesting in coding games but has anyone tried NESMaker yet?

I haven't tried it but I'm definitely interested. I'd really like to put any completed game on a cart though (not really interested in playing through emulation) and it seems the hardware is all out of stock and they're not shipping outside of the US either. 

I have an old graph paper pad which I used to' design' a game when I was about 8 or 9 (I thought drawing pictures on graph paper so they looked like graphics was all you had to do :lol:). It's basically a fairly simple shoot em up but I'd love to try to get an actual game out of it! 

I was giving it a lot of thought because its so much money but after seeing a few videos it seems the new one on preorder is a completely fresh build. New core etc. that's similar to the Mega SG. Might hold out for that.

Can anyone remember what NES magazines used to be out in the UK? Trying to find a full set of first issues for my collection. Everything I can remember:

Nintendo Magazine System

Club Nintendo

Total

On 13/10/2020 at 16:42, Colonel Panic said:

From a purely NES point of view, I'd rather a HDMI modded NES over an NT Mini, but that's not all it does so it's a tough call.

If you want it and can afford it, then why not?

I don’t know, I’d say the NT mini would be the better option as a HDMI modded NES is still going to be a 30+ year old system which is more likely to die sooner than the mini. Then again it depends on how much you really love the NES and how much time you see yourself playing it, a retropi or a hacked NES mini should be enough for most people and far cheaper as well, especially if you’re only going to play a few games for an hour or so and never go back to it. 

If you spent the money on a HDMI modded NES, you love the NES :D

Point taken about them breaking, but I would say that the things that die on older hardware tend to be capactitors (and the 72 pin connector on a NES), not the ICs so it it possible to keep them in good repair, or pay someone else to do it for you.

40 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

If you spent the money on a HDMI modded NES, you love the NES :D

Point taken about them breaking, but I would say that the things that die on older hardware tend to be capactitors (and the 72 pin connector on a NES), not the ICs so it it possible to keep them in good repair, or pay someone else to do it for you.

I was thinking about getting my famicom modded but couldn’t find any of the HDMI mod kits in stock or anyone to do the mod so decided to go with the NT mini noir, however I’m thinking about whether to keep it or not as, although I liked the NES and have fond memories of it, the MD/SNES are the systems Im more interested in and likely to play. I think Ive only played the NES app on switch for about an hour and not really gone back to it as I dont really have the patience anymore for some of the more difficult games. Even the original SMB kicks my arse when as a kid I could finish the game without any problems.

Is there a good region-free NES clone for use with CRT displays that you'd recommend without too many caveats? I want to replace a lost PAL console, but I'm more interested in accessing the Japanese library than just digging out my childhood stuff (though I'll deffo be doing that!), so it'd be nice to have a single solution that covers almost everything.

Thanks!

Edit: apropos of nothing, earlier today I was looking up Total! magazine, which I used to read, and found some PDFs. In one issue they were giving high praise to one of my childhood faves, Low G Man! I was surprised as I expected it would have been roundly dismissed as another middle-of-the-road platformer at the time. This led me to Googling the game to read other stuff about it, and I noticed that the developer was KID, who were also responsible for Recca, Shinobu Yagawa's first shmup. Turns out Low G Man is a Yagawa game!

I also remembered that we bought Low G Man from a guy who used to come to our front door every now and then with a big bag of NES games. I didn't think anything of it at the time but they were obviously stolen.

On 15/10/2020 at 08:48, Lorfarius said:

Can anyone remember what NES magazines used to be out in the UK? Trying to find a full set of first issues for my collection. Everything I can remember:

Nintendo Magazine System

Club Nintendo

Total

I used to have the first 24 issues of nms. :( Shamr there split mean machines in two to create it

Hi,

Does anyone know of anyone who can do an rgb mod, supplied and installed? Some recommendations before but no one has stock.

Edit:

Also this is a great video, about key frame animation and why simpler 8 bit animation can look and feel better:

2 minutes ago, bplus said:

Hi,

Does anyone know of anyone who can do an rgb mod, supplied and installed? Some recommendations before but no one has stock.

Try Sore Thumbs in York. They sell them from time to time but might have someone who can do the odd job.

2 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

@bplus - Honestly, the difference in quality is totally worth the money if you're into playing NES games.

You'll need to factor in an RGB cable too - just FYI!

Yeah, I'd be using an ossc too. Is that what you are running yours through? Or a real CRT?

I wasted a load of money on this:

https://videogameperfection.com/products/koryuu-transcoder/

So I could run my nes composite into my ossc. Not great results.

I was in cex today and saw a nes mini for 45 quid nearly bought it but I've got an NTSC nes and an everdrive so seems pointless.

On 18/10/2020 at 15:06, Colonel Panic said:

@bplus

https://www.oldskoolconsoles.com/shop

I did the mod myself, but I bought the NESRGB kit from this guy - He was helpful when I had questions.

I bought - and still own - an AV Famicom with the RGB board bought from that very place. 

Good customer service. The mod is fanfuckingtastic and looks incredible. I also run it into a PVM and OSSC simultaneously, and it looks incredible. 

I also own a RetroUSB AVS, which is a very well made and well programmed FPGA alternative to the Analogue NT. 

Just bought someones preorder for an NT Mini Noir.. probably for more money than I've ever paid in my life for a single system. I could have put all that down on V1 but the more I learned about the improvements I thought it was worth waiting til next month.

In other good news... it's night on impossible to find the last few issues of Club Nintendo. I think because they weren't printing as many and the ones that were just came in such low numbers. I'm always on the look for for them as I've never made a full set before but in one fell swoop I managed to snatch up the rarest in a single sale. Chap only wanted a fiver a piece, which was a bargain for me. I love Facebook at times! He also had a copy of NMS and I had to take that off his hands. What a find!

Last time I was collecting I scanned every issue I had and put them online, most of these aren't downloadable anywhere so I might just do the lot.

IMG_20201025_103709848.jpg

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

In other good news... it's night on impossible to find the last few issues of Club Nintendo. I think because they weren't printing as many and the ones that were just came in such low numbers. I'm always on the look for for them as I've never made a full set before but in one fell swoop I managed to snatch up the rarest in a single sale. Chap only wanted a fiver a piece, which was a bargain for me. I love Facebook at times! He also had a copy of NMS and I had to take that off his hands. What a find!

Last time I was collecting I scanned every issue I had and put them online, most of these aren't downloadable anywhere so I might just do the lot.

IMG_20201025_103709848.jpg

I think that's issue one of nms? It came with a free tiny Gameboy keyring. Dam I wish I hadn't thrown all my issues out. I kept them in mint condition in a box too :(

1 minute ago, bplus said:

I think that's issue one of nms? It came with a free tiny Gameboy keyring. Dam I wish I hadn't thrown all my issues out. I kept them in mint condition in a box too :(

Yep :D I don't have the space and don't really want shelves filled with runs of mags so I've decided to buy the first issue of all the NES related mags and complete Club Nintendo.

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Yep :D I don't have the space and don't really want shelves filled with runs of mags so I've decided to buy the first issue of all the NES related mags and complete Club Nintendo.

Just looking at the cover, is there s review of NES elite in there?