rllmuk
Luseth

The best abandoned location in a video game....

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time had an extended section exploring ancient underground caverns and baths, before eventually emerging from a well.

Ninja Gaiden Black had the sequence where you venture down through the catacombs and trigger a zombie attack - and then later in the game, its aqueduct level.

I wouldn't say those sections quite fit the thread's theme of modern civilisation being abandoned and nature taking over - but I remember they had a great atmosphere of venturing away from safety, being funnelled into places no one had set foot in for generations.

Slightly left of field, as it’s not supposed to be a human construct, but how about the City of Tears from Hollow Knight?

It perfectly captures, through both visual design and the music, a sense of eerie, melancholic longing for a once-great civilisation; now lost to time, but still remembered by those who remain and the monuments left behind. 

The same could be said for all of Hallownest, but City of Tears is a great showpiece for the whole kingdom. 

• Upvote 4

The Dark Zones in The Division and especially TD2. So eerie and atmospheric and of all the post apocalyptic scenarios, surely the most believable. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, JamesTW said:

Alien Isolation if it counts, there were people or androids around every now and then but was an eerie weird place 

That's a great shout. Can't believe I overlooked it.

Pretty much all of the original Tomb Raider. It doesn’t hold up now but at the time it really felt like you were entering colossal structures that had been abandoned for millennia.

I’d also echo the Ico sentiments from earlier in the thread.

• Upvote 5

People have mentioned Ico, so it has surprised me no-one has said Shadow of the Colossus. 

Also, Oregon In Days Gone, sans zombies, would be lovely to visit and explore. :)

Horizon Zero Dawn had a wonderful way of revealing the world’s nightmarish history. Searching for recordings in bunkers and fallen skyscrapers that have been reclaimed by nature was both creepy and kinda beautiful. Holograms like ghosts.

• Upvote 1

Dead Space's Ishimura. Not a human in sight since the incident, but it is not hard to picture how it looked and worked before that.

• Upvote 2

For me it’s the Fallout 3 & 4 worlds. I know they aren’t entirely abandoned but most of the areas are dead to the world following pre-apocalyptic war. 

• Upvote 3

I really like it in Ocarina of Time when you travel forward in time and are met with the destroyed/abandoned Castle Town because it's such a contrast to what was there moments before. Also love how you find the residents relocated to Kakariko Village. Just really adds to the story and atmosphere. 

Anywhere in the Last Guardian. Though without having to do any of the climbing. 

Deffo evokes that sense of human abandonment, but still “alive”. A bit like the castle in Laputa (would visit that place in a heartbeat too). 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, StoooTube said:

The run-down and over-grown bits in Portal 2 were cool. That game oozed atmosphere, I really need to play it again. It needs a VR mod!

Portal VR would be a reason to buy a VR headset. 

• Upvote 1

Which was the 8-bit text adventure where you could cross a boundary to a location that said:

Brilliant void. There is a waterfall here.

Which then looped no matter what.

Yeah, that place.

• Upvote 1

The Desert area in Skyward Sword.  There was something so very melancholy about how even though you could use the Timestones to restore this dead land & it's inhabitants back to the life they once had, it was only ever temporary & limited to a small area, & it will be dead again once you leave.

• Upvote 3

That subterranean city in Skyrim was not truly abandoned but it scared the SHIT out of me, enough that I literally sprinted for the exit markers the whole time. It wasn’t until my 3rd playthrough that I went back and explored it properly. 

The whole of Condemned had me wanting to cry, I was so terrified. 

• Upvote 1