rllmuk
Luseth

The best abandoned location in a video game....

I've been nosing at photos of abandoned locations around the world and it got me wondering what the best abandoned / post apocalyptic setting is in a video game....

I'd be interested to know what makes them so great as well.

Pittsburgh in the last of us maybe? The fact that it feels like humanity has avoided the area for some time, nature's come to reclaim the land.

Hyrule on Breath of the wild? This game actually felt like a whole civilization had been lost and let you explore the remnants of such a civilization.

Maybe even some of the settings in Uncharted? I always felt like the locations in the Uncharted series warranted more exploration. They looked like the sort of places you would love to explore in the real world, see remnants of what has come before, how people lived etc

There are any number of locations in the Fallout games aren't there?

What's the closest a game has come to you feeling like you are genuinely exploring an abandoned setting. A place you would love to go to if it really existed.

The

sub

in Uncharted is hard to beat for an unexpected location.

I liked the post-apocalyptic setting in Enslaved: Odyssey to the West; the rewilding of the cities felt real, and it was nice to see a greener post-apocalyptic setting than the usual.

Conversely, the abandoned, icy Moscow of the Metro games is as atmospheric as it gets, and more so with the more varied exterior locations in the latest, metro Exodus.

• Upvote 2

The Cradle in Thief 3...

A place you would love to go to if it really existed.

Oh maybe not :blink2:

• Upvote 4

Rapture was (and still is) an awesome place. I never particularly liked Bioshock as a game, but I was perfectly happy to wander the city!

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, amc said:

I always loved the abandoned castle and areas of Ico. A fabulous yet lonely and melancholic vibe guiding Yorda around there. Plus the flourishes of life in amongst the stone. The greenery and odd bits of wildlife couldn't overcome the feel of ancient abandonment. Glints of sun here and there. 

Man I feel like firing it up now and playing for an hour, it's guaranteed to make me all wistful for the first time I played it. It has that effect.

Oh man, I'd love to visit the valley of Shadow of the Colossus.

• Upvote 3

I don't know if it's my favourite, but the flooded city in Nier Automata was pretty cool. It was what I expected a post-humanity world to look like: not a brown dustbowl but a place where nature was creeping back in and reclaiming the land occupied by buildings...

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

• Upvote 4

Wonder City underneath Arkham City. Those games taught me so much about established Batman lore through the years that I never would have guessed that location was new for the game if not for the codex pointing it out. It felt for all the world like they took it from a decades old story and you were walking through an abandoned period of "real" Gotham history.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

I've been nosing at photos of abandoned locations around the world and it got me wondering what the best abandoned / post apocalyptic setting is in a video game....

Not your question, but there's a whole subreddit (with a silly name) dedicated to real-life photos of this stuff.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

Mass Effect, when you land on that planet and discover Vigil the hologram. 

One of the big moments of playing games for me, heightened by the fact that I don't indulge in too much sci-fi, so much of what Mass Effect tributes/rips off felt fresh and added gravitas and a sense of invention to the game.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

I don't know if it's my favourite, but the flooded city in Nier Automata was pretty cool. It was what I expected a post-humanity world to look like: not a brown dustbowl but a place where nature was creeping back in and reclaiming the land occupied by buildings...

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

That's what was good about Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.

I also loved the robot theme park in Nier: Automata

• Upvote 2

Parts of Dunwall in Dishonored. Wouldn't want to live there, but the whole feel of the decaying, plague-ridden city was well evoked. Especially after you wake up in the drowned sector...

• Upvote 4

The "quiet" areas, where no human/infected prowl, in Last of Us are a nice brief respite but a chilling reminder of what once was. Empty houses with signs of family life left behind, office desks still cluttered with people's belongings, big function rooms with the remains of half finished parties. Its creepy but I love this kind of stuff.

• Upvote 1

Shadow Moses in MGS4

Simply epic.

Also, near the end in the 1st uncharted, you went to an abandoned South American port down. The music, the graphics. All wasted on a dumb shooter but was still great.

• Upvote 2

Oooh, Rapture in Bioshock. Ideally before the fall, but even afterwards, if you can avoid the Big Daddies and Little Sisters.

• Upvote 1