Geforce Now Beta - NVidia streaming

Flub

I got an email this morning saying I'd been accepted into the Nvidia Geforce now streaming beta. I didn't have long to try it out before work this morning but here's my initial feedback.

I installed and launched the app. It ran a network test and connected me to a data centre in the EU. It warned me I might experince stuttering. On looking into this it had determined my network speed to be 44meg. The minimum is 18 and recommended is 50. I generally sync at 54. Hopefully this will improve. The latency and packet loss measurements were fine.

I looked through the list of game (Quite extensive) and chose Guild Wars 2. It started up and I logged in. The graphics had defaulted to 1080 and seemed less defined than native. Looking close it's obviously compression and to be expected. I started moving around and to my surprise it felt fine. I could notice a tiny amount of latency but I'm pretty sure that it's only because I've played the game so much. I ran to a nearby public event and started killing things. During the event I noticed a wifi symbol pop up a couple of times warning of latency but it never effected my game. It felt fine and if I ever needed to I could happily play the game in this state.

I upped the graphics settings to 4k to match my monitor and it obviously couldn't keep up.

Next I tried Warframe. It actually logged me into steam for this. I started a quick solo mission and it was fine. The controls didn't feel quite the same but again this is a game I've put hundreds of hours into. Also I don't think it would stop me from enjoying myself. It was different but felt fine. I didn't try 4k on this one since the Guild Wars test showed issues.

There's an option in the GFNow app to launch steam or battlenet directly. I tried this from my work PC. It launched steam and showed me which games were geforce now available. However doing it this was seemed to imply I was streaming them from my home PC so I'm not sure what's going on there.

I also tried launching Rage (Most of the game on the list are ones I don't own but I own Rage on the Bethesda launcher). In this case it launched the steam page and expected me to buy a copy.

I'm going to try more this weekend and see how it goes. There's lots of games available that I own and want to try. Including stuff like Tekken 7 and PubG

My current internet speeds are 54 down and 12 up.

Is anyone else in the beta?

Yeah I got beta access with my shield TV. Tried the Division and FC new Dawn and came to the conclusion it's still got lag, so useless for shooters. Batman Arkham something-or-other played ok though. It's better than onLive, but it's still got a bit to go if I'm expected to chuck out my gaming pc in favour of streaming. 

I got in a while back, and played around with a few games. I didn't notice any issues myself, and it seemed to provide better results than Steam Home Streaming with my setup, weirdly. I also get better results using Moonlight, which uses Nvidia's Shield streaming, so I think Nvidia just have better streaming technology.

I got in yesterday. 

Tried Factorio and it was flawless. I then tried Wreckfest and whilst for 99% of the time it was like playing natively, there was the odd hitch that came at the wrong time, which rules out playing an online racer such as Project Cars or something. 

If they can price this competitively and allow me access to my various clients, then this is a much better proposition than Stadia.  

I got into the beta too apparently. 

Why does it try to load my Steam account whenever I try and launch a game though?

And perhaps a question for another thread - why do I seem to be locked out of my Steam account - even after I change the password (via email reset, so my email is obviously still registered) it doesn't accept my new password!

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

Why does it try to load my Steam account whenever I try and launch a game though?

It's running the steam versions of the games and needs to know you own them.

1 minute ago, Flub said:

It's running the steam versions of the games and needs to know you own them.

Oh I didn't realise this at all - I thought the deal was I would get access to a library, like with Netflix. 

I didn't read the small (or most of the large) print, I admit ...

57 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Oh I didn't realise this at all - I thought the deal was I would get access to a library, like with Netflix. 

I didn't read the small (or most of the large) print, I admit ...

I'd expect them at some point to provide some sort of basic library but it seems at the moment you either have to own the game or have it be one of the f2p ones.

20 hours ago, carlospie said:

I really like it. I’m playing monstee hunter world atm. It’s far better for slow paced single player games 

So I have a Shield TV - assume you would just buy monster hunter world on the steam store and then access it from the Shield TV?

My son is off school as he fucked his knee last night and didn't get home from A&E until 4am. 

Anyway, just setup GeForce Now on his low specced Dell laptop and it seems to be working really well. He is currently playing Rocket League and hasn't moaned about any of it yet. 

• 2 months later...

I think this is brilliant but I am having a few issues, 

In particular I am not sure how to get cloud saving working with games which aren't natively supported by GeForce now - i.e other games from my Steam library. 

When you try to launch such a game, you get a warning that it isn't supported, and told that you will need to enable cloud saving for saved games to sync. 

It also tells you you'll need to install it every time you run it - but this wasn't a problem, as I'm only going to use it for small-ish games - I tried it with Darkwoods, which only installs 1GB of data which takes about 20 seconds. I guess its so quick because it isn't actually downloading anything, its just copying it across from a central repository maintained by Nvidia, to the particular Nvidia machine in the cloud that I'm connected to. 

When I quit the game and go back to it , though, it doesn't show me my saved games. The only option I have is to start again from the beginning. 

So I've checked and I can see that Steam Cloud is enabled for the game - not sure what else I can do to get it to sync? 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, bradigor said:

Has this been updated to allow you to install anything now? Loaded up Steam via this and was able to install a game that isn't officially supported. 

I think it just does Steam style streaming from your local PC for those.

42 minutes ago, Flub said:

I think it just does Steam style streaming from your local PC for those.

Except I don't have a local PC. 

I did it with Duskers and it did warn I need to install the game every time I wanted to play, as it isn't supported. But previously, I remember it wouldn't install unsupported games at all. 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/17/20919609/nvidia-shield-tv-tube-leaked-features-dolby-vision-newegg

New versions of the Shield have been leaked ahead of their official launch. Not much of an improvement specs wise considering how old the Shield hardware is at this point, I was hoping for something that would give a real boost to performance in emulators. Disappointing but unsurprising. The remotes quite different though. No sign of a new gamepad though.

Anywho I'm guessing we'll get a few more details about what the plan is for Geforce Now when Nvidia properly launch them.