rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Do 71

PS Plus July 2019 | Detroit: Become Human & Horizon Chase Turbo

Looking forward to trying Horizon Chase but PES 2019, seriously Sony?!

They have been paid by Konami to drive up potential PES 2020 sales.

Horizon Chase has been on my radar for a while, so thats a nice bonus.

Already own PES, but only paid about £12 for the Legends version in a huge sale at some point, it's a decent game to have sat on your PS4 of you ever want a quick game of footy. 

Horizon Chase is nice but this is another shite month compared to previous ones.

Still, I’m not paying, so can’t really complain.

19 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

How does PES compare to Fifa these days? Are they poles apart? Haven't played a footy game for a decade.

PES plays a really nice game of footy, as far as I can tell. I've tried a few FIFAs and they seem off to me, but I enjoy the odd kickabout on PES.

The only problem is the lack of team names and licenses, but that can be rectified with an options file, I did that on mine and it works fine.

I grabbed mine from here https://www.pesworld.co.uk/ps4-downloads

There are instructions there on how to use them too.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

PES plays a really nice game of footy, as far as I can tell. I've tried a few FIFAs and they seem off to me, but I enjoy the odd kickabout on PES.

The only problem is the lack of team names and licenses, but that can be rectified with an options file, I did that on mine and it works fine.

I grabbed mine from here https://www.pesworld.co.uk/ps4-downloads

There are instructions there on how to use them too.

Cheers!

34 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

How does PES compare to Fifa these days? Are they poles apart? Haven't played a footy game for a decade.

PES feels really, really cheap these days. It's probably still marginally better if all you're doing is sitting on the sofa playing against other people, but honestly FIFA is better for everything else now.

And definitely don't put anything into MyClub because it'll shut down pretty soon. (And also because it's rubbish).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Vorgot said:

Already own PES, but only paid about £12 for the Legends version in a huge sale at some point, it's a decent game to have sat on your PS4 of you ever want a quick game of footy. 

Hovered over the buy button a few times, glad to get a decent football game for nowt; like you say, handy for quick games every now and then.

25 minutes ago, Rev said:

PES feels really, really cheap these days. It's probably still marginally better if all you're doing is sitting on the sofa playing against other people, but honestly FIFA is better for everything else now.

And definitely don't put anything into MyClub because it'll shut down pretty soon. (And also because it's rubbish).

As an offline game its the best football I've ever played. Master league is great fun, the ai is fun to play against and offline multiplayer is just pure gold imo. Cooperative world cups/euros are my bag.

• Upvote 1

I enjoy pes more than fifa although neither is really what can be described as a good game really. Fifa is flashy but hollow and not much fun, it's basically the perfect representation of the EPL. Pes is a bit of a mess but more enjoyable to play. It's a very poor era for sports games at the moment. 

30 minutes ago, Jackson said:

As an offline game its the best football I've ever played. Master league is great fun, the ai is fun to play against and offline multiplayer is just pure gold imo. Cooperative world cups/euros are my bag.

18 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I enjoy pes more than fifa although neither is really what can be described as a good game really. Fifa is flashy but hollow and not much fun, it's basically the perfect representation of the EPL. Pes is a bit of a mess but more enjoyable to play. It's a very poor era for sports games at the moment. 

I don’t really disagree with either, but Ultimate Team is pretty compulsive even without spending money where MyClub is a convoluted mess. The Journey was odd but a good change, it looks great, the training is fun.

PES Master League and FIFA’s Career are both broadly awful. Controlling a single player in Become a Legend in PES is pretty bad, there’s no feedback or enough interaction with your team mates compared to FIFA. 

I think honestly people will prefer the one they play more. But for me the slightly better play in PES doesn’t outweigh the fact it feels like everything outside the match itself is just made with the least investment possible.

Neither feels like great games though and giving either of them away this close to the next version coming out is just cheap. 

I'm not convinced Konami even know PES exists - there's a team of five people in a forgotten backroom somewhere making it on the sly but telling Konami higher ups they're definitely making health club software. Smuggling copies out hidden inside pachinko machines. 

• Upvote 4

I just tried myclub again after I commented in this thread, and it's a bag of confusing shite still. Offline play and particularly couch vs with others is great fun though.

If you just want a game that will sit on your hard drive and be there for the times you get the urge to play a football game, it's an ideal PS Plus giveaway. I had the Euro 2016 one on my PS3, and I'll keep my 2019 on the PS4 for precisely that reason. Now all they need to do is stick Madden on there next month and I'll be set for a few years.

I hope Horizon Chase plays well because it looks fairly bland. I thought the polygon graphics looked quite nice at first but after a couple of minutes it's all a bit sparse.

There's left & right turns and a few dips but it's all a bit underwhelming. I was getting quite excited for an arcade racer.

Where's the crazy buildings, bridges & canyons? It's the same stuff all the way through with slightly different colours as the game progresses.

I haven't written it off, just pinning my hopes on this as I hate Football in general so PES has no appeal whatsoever.

I was watching this video if it matters:

• Upvote 1

Hang on. The tracks on Horizon Chase are circuits?

So you’re not actually chasing the horizon?

What?

• Upvote 4

It's a brilliant HD love letter to 90s 16bit racers,  but I can understand why some people wouldn't care for that.

Happy to have paid for the Switch version. 

2 hours ago, deKay said:

Hang on. The tracks on Horizon Chase are circuits?

So you’re not actually chasing the horizon?

What?

Some of the cars are naturally aspirated, too.

• Upvote 3

I realise a bit that comparing it to Outrun Online (essentially the best game ever) is probably inherently unfair, but I just don't get why you'd make an 80s style racer like that, obviously be aware that that Outrun exists, and deliberately not take any pointers from it.

It's got all this terrible inherited-from-being-a-mobile-game crap of collecting stuff on the track, no vistas to look at, and no handling model to speak of. Press left and right, bounce terribly off cars and street furniture, make no decisions at bends, other than to let off the gas a little.