rllmuk
grounded_dreams

PocketGo and LDK retro handhelds

My Vita battery life is getting worse, use it mainly as a emulation device and saw some videos pop up in my feed for both the Pocket Boy and the LDK Game Landscape. Size wise they seem great for me and play the types of games I want (GBA, SNES, Master system), not bothered about 32 bit generation games.

Has anyone tried or had a go on these small retro handhelds which seem to be popping up more around recently?

Some comments are stating the screen tearing it quite bad, but not sure if its the hardware, emulation etc

PocketGo:

LDK Game Landscape:

I've got the vertical version of the ldk handheld and it's pretty damn good. Allegedly it'll play some PlayStation titles though I've not tried it myself, and the only issue I really have with mine is the snes emulation is a bit iffy especially if the snes cart had custom chips, but hopefully that'll get better over time. Plus overclocking it gets round some of the issues with that. But for old handheld emulation it's great. An working through links awakening on it at the moment and gba, master system, nes and genesis emulation all seem to be spot on.

• Upvote 2

I'm interested in one of these too since it seems Retrobit made 5 of their Gameboy style Pi Zero cases and sent them all to Youtube "Influencers" before forgetting to make any to sell.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Swainy said:

Are any of these Chinese handhelds any good at emulating the Atari Lynx?

I've just tried Pacland and Todds Adventures in Slime World and they both seem fine, although this is the first time I've ever played any Lynx games so don't really have a base of reference!

31 minutes ago, TheGaffer said:

I've just tried Pacland and Todds Adventures in Slime World and they both seem fine, although this is the first time I've ever played any Lynx games so don't really have a base of reference!

Cool cheers mate. Would you mind trying Road Blasters? I think that is one tricky to emulate.

1 hour ago, Swainy said:

Cool cheers mate. Would you mind trying Road Blasters? I think that is one tricky to emulate.

Yes mate will let you know later tonight. 

• Upvote 1

Can you actually play games in the correct aspect ratio? GB and GBC in particular are all wrong in the videos.

41 minutes ago, deKay said:

Can you actually play games in the correct aspect ratio? GB and GBC in particular are all wrong in the videos.

Depends on the emulator options. Most give you a choice to have original aspect ratio but also have the option for software based up scaling of some kind. 

3 hours ago, Swainy said:

Just tried Road Blasters but it didn't work. Loaded up but in the game the road didn't move and all the surround was corrupt. 

1 hour ago, TheGaffer said:

Just tried Road Blasters but it didn't work. Loaded up but in the game the road didn't move and all the surround was corrupt. 

Well it is a Lynx. You can’t expect much better than that ;)

8 hours ago, TheGaffer said:

Thanks for letting me know mate.

The pocketgo (and Bittboys in general) are well known for having really bad screen tearing due to the hardware used (30hz screen) so the LDK is the "better" option

• Upvote 2