rllmuk

In-game Y-axis inversion setup in console shooters: useful or not?

Upright/inverted calibration sequences  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Hopefully this question is being asked so all the filthy inverters can go on the list. 

I never asked which way round people play! :quote: I created the thread to discuss whether in-game methods of setting an aiming preference are more useful/intuitive/immersive than doing it via menu options!

Yes, a person's inversion settings are nobody's business but their own.

I remember going through a period as a teenager when I tried inverting, tried not-inverting, horizontal invert you name it. FPS controls were still a bit of a mystery then (ca. 2000).

(Do people really just not invert their controls and just use the default these days?)

I remember always using inverted Y axis as a kid. This was mostly due to playing lots of flight and space sim games. I continued to play like this for 30 years. I used to play inverted for Q2 & 3 in my teens and twenties.

I must admit that during the Quake days I occasionally had to second guess myself during a game. Target is top right? Better put the mouse bottom right kinda thing. This disconnect manifested more and more as I spent more time using a mouse for desktop work. However, when I played any FPS on a controller I continued to invert Y.

Then something weird happened. I stopped playing FPS games for a year or two. When I came back, inverted made zero sense to my brain. I've got no issue using inverted for vehicles and such but once a targetting reticle gets involved I can't invert. It throws me for a loop.

I could never play games non inverted. First thing I did was always invert. Then I played a bunch of shooters on the Wii. Metroid, etc and found that it completely rewired my brain. Now inversion doesn’t make sense to me.  It’s mental. Literally 

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I could never play games non inverted. First thing I did was always invert. Then I played a bunch of shooters on the Wii. Metroid, etc and found that it completely rewired my brain. Now inversion doesn’t make sense to me.  It’s mental. Literally 

The Wii made you see the light (the crosshair).

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, cavalcade said:

I'm over 40 and if I ever ascend to a position of power in the government of this country I will round up every single inverter and double spacer in this nation and send them to conversion camps. If violence has to be used, then so be it. 

We'll fight you down and up the length of the country to preserve our rights.

I think the in-game calibration thing is really neat and it makes sense on the Xbox one and the Xbox One due to the omission of a profile-level preference. However, I have no problem just popping into the pause menu once the game starts to change the setting, so honestly it hardly seems worth the developers' time. I change a bunch of stuff usually - auto aim off, music down etc. so really this doesn't save me much effort.

Changing the settings on the Elite controller is great 90% of the time but then you end up getting Edith Finched and finding that most of the one-off mechanics (e.g. the swing) don't make sense with a forced flip on one of the sticks. So it didn't quite work for me.

Like much about the Xbone, it's bizarre that they had this idea on 360 and it's gone now. It was such a great idea to keep things profile level.