rllmuk
Miner Willy

Farmdrop: fruit & veg deliveries

Anyone else using Farmdrop? They pitch themselves as an ethical, local alternative to supermarkets, working with local farmers to round up your order and deliver in one go. I've used Abel & Cole in the past, but I think this is much better. I think initially it was only available in London, though I believe they have branched out, or will be doing so.

I've been using them for a few weeks and am really impressed - food has been great, it supports local farmers (apparently they get a much higher % of the sale value), and there's almost no packaging - they drop everything off and take any packaging away with them.

I now do almost all my fruit, veg & meat through Farmdrop, and only use the supermarket for regular household stuff. There are some good launch offers around, and they do good referral deals too.

Just checked, they are not in my area.   A bit stupid as I am surrounded by farms.

What are the prices like, how do they compare with the cheap supermarkets and the expensive/normal ones?

Prices vary massively by farm - you can see the supplier on each item. Based on my experience to date, some are similar to supermarket* prices, while others are firmly in the realm of London organic farmers market pricing.

For example, the only cabbage supplier that I can access here charges £2.50 for one red cabbage(!), or you can buy individual green peppers for £1 a pop. But obviously it depends on your local farmers. I've found a lot of stuff very reasonable, and the fruit/veg boxes seem to be good value. My first order was £70 (but I paid under £40 thanks to an intro offer), and I got masses and masses of food.

I really like getting a load of seasonal veg and then having the challenge of making new meals out of it without allowing any to go off.

Shame if they're not in your region yet, though apparently they're expanding.

* Bear in mind that we shop with Ocado, so my comparison is at the more expensive end. But then I would expect the London farmers are probably charging a premium, so it probably evens out...

I stupidly just completely missed my own point.  I am surrounded by farms, I should just stop at one and by some veg!

My wife and I have used Riverford for well over a decade now. Not as expensive as one would expect given the variety in the produce, and on the few occasions when there is an issue with an order they always fix it quickly when emailed.

For a family of three (two adults, one teen) we spend around £45 per fortnight (a weekly fruit box and a large veg box every two weeks).