rllmuk

I'm having a real shit time of life at the moment, and part of that is coming to the realisation i don't have any friends.

My current bout of depression has left me with very little enthusiasm / enjoyment for anything. 

Anyway i was wondering if anyone has anything they recommend i can actually try and fill my time playing?

I see on things on boardgamegeeks and a few things people have posted in other threads that there are a lot of what look like trading card games & miniature / board games you can play on your own?

I just want something i can spend sometime on even if its something i leave on my dining room table and then come back to when i feel like it again, things like this say "one player"

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/230244/black-angel

As always any and all help is appreciated!

• Empathy 3

Escape The Dark Castle is like a Fighting Fantasy book as a board game and is good in single player. Escape The Dark Sector is currently on Kickstarter and is space themed if you fancy that.

A lot of people like Arkham Horror but a similar amount don't like it, which probably doesn't help you but it's an avenue to check on YouTube.

Zombicide has a single player mode but it involves you playing six characters which can be a bit cumbersome.

I'll have a rummage through the rest of my games in a bit 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Escape The Dark Castle is like a Fighting Fantasy book as a board game and is good in single player. Escape The Dark Sector is currently on Kickstarter and is space themed if you fancy that.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/227456/escape-dark-castle

https://elementgames.co.uk/card-games-board-games-and-more/board-games/misc-fantasycata/escape-the-dark-castle?d=22&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgLLoBRDyARIsACRAZe5OL86VSTRjIS1bOqG72tRR_95PZkW4nI0-bYTqkJCJ8mQVFEBI334aAqRAEALw_wcB

This looks really good, thanks for the recommendation. 

You can definitely play Zombicide with less than 6, but it gets tricky.

Arkham Horror Card Game is solo-able, as is the Lord Of The Rings one I think.

Gloomhaven is as well, and it'll definitely distract your mind from lots.

Hostage Negotiator is a decent little cheap one as well.

I'll dig through my piles tomorrow and chuck in a few more ideas as well.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Gloomhaven is as well, and it'll definitely distract your mind from lots.

Hostage Negotiator is a decent little cheap one as well.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/174430/gloomhaven

https://www.squizzas.co.uk/products/gloomhaven-4th-printing?variant=24217327960164&currency=GBP&utm_campaign=gs-2019-01-15&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/134253/hostage-negotiator

https://www.365games.co.uk/strategy-card-games/hostage-negotiator?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google+shopping+data+feed+(19/06/2019-17:25)&gclid=cj0kcqjwgllobrdyarisacraze59nsytr_fykp79zva5km7ijukxv9yyoxmajfxpbm-5ipazp8npdakaakdoealw_wcb

Both of these look pretty good too, sorry for dropping all the videos and links i just thought maybe someone else may see the thread and if i can do them the favour etc. 

• Upvote 2

What town/city are you in? Check out meetup.com and see if there’s a gaming evening near you. Good chance to meet others and something to look forward to. There’s one just down the road from me and I’d love to go but it’s on an evening I have to work. 

• Upvote 3

I've posted here https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/290406-top-board-games-recommendations-and-buyers-guide/page/3/#comments (post dated April 24, the earlier one has some primarily MP games) some games which I would recommend for solo play.  Some of these admittedly aren't generally available because they were Kickstarters (Black Sonata and Gloom of Kilforth).  If you like dungeon crawlers then Gloomhaven or Sword & Sorcery both are available and come highly recommended, as well as representing considerable time soaks.  Also, you could look at Legend Untold which is a lot cheaper (and quicker) and a really good game and will probably replace Folklore on the list of recommendations (Folklore having too much bookkeeping really to recommend it for the soloist).   Pretty much all my board gaming these days is either something which is for solo play or which is fully co-op and which I play multi-handed.  Sometimes that leads to unfeasible mental gymnastics (Spirit Island), but it can also be just the right side of challenging (Sword & Sorcery).  Gloomhaven is a monster in terms of numbers of scenarios and unlock able character classes, but has the advantage of being inherently very simple mechanically so it's easy to pick it up again after a break. 

If you are not so keen on dungeon crawlers, you could look at Robinson Crusoe or This War of Mine, both of which are considered to be very good for solo play (I've got the former but not yet played it, the latter is somewhat thematically depressing).

That's apart from the shorter experiences.

Edited by Cosmic_Guru
  • Upvote 2

My favourites also included some that either are regularly solo, or have a well thought of solo variant.  Same link as cosmic_guru posted for my thoughts.

Scythe; apparently the solo Automa works well. But I've not tried it.

Race for the Galaxy - I've played masses of this solo (using the Keldon a.i. - for p.c. and osx.  I think the Android/iOS app used the same a.i.). It's great.

Mage Knight.  Amazing solo.  Deep, engrossing, thoughtful.

7th Continent.  Eminently solo-able.

Sherlock Holmes consulting detective.  Again, works perfectly on your own (though it's lots of reading, and choosing what to read next.)

Sprawlopolis.  18 cards, quick to play.  Great fun solo puzzle.

V-commandos.  I'll reiterate... It feels very close to "commandos behind enemy lines" (the computer game).  Excellent fun, I've found.

Not on my list... But great solo...

D-Day dice.  Beach landings theme, managed with a yahtzee-type dice mechanic. I really like this, and you get to roll, reroll and combo dice hands.  It's fun.

Dawn of the Zeds. Really well done solo game, and great scaling of difficulty in the third edition.  Will make your head ache in decision making.

You could also consider some of the more advanced choose your own adventure style books too, if that's your bag.  Michael J Ward's destiny quest trilogy of books are a good stab at making this kind of book more rpg-y.  Lots of choices in tooling up your character, which I liked, and a quite free form hub of quests to take on.

How you find some that tickle your fancy.

• Upvote 5

Nemo’s War is excellent. Hard to get hold of at a good price at the moment though. Terraforming Mars is cheaper and great. I’ve not played Arkham Horror or LOTR card games but they are meant to be good solo. 

• Upvote 1

There's loads of great solo games out there, but definitely have a look and see if there is a boardgaming group locally - they pop up all over the place these days and are usually excellent places to meet some new people and play some great games. It was the first thing I tried when I moved and made several friends that way.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Nosejam said:

What town/city are you in? Check out meetup.com and see if there’s a gaming evening near you. Good chance to meet others and something to look forward to. There’s one just down the road from me and I’d love to go but it’s on an evening I have to work. 

This is the best advice. I know attending a club where you don’t know anyone can seem daunting but worst case scenario is you’ve lost a few hours of an evening. Best case scenario: you’ll end up with a bunch of boardgaming friends. I’ve met a lot of really great people through going to a club who I game with 3-4 times a week.

Have a look on the board game geek forums. Plenty of clubs post in there too.

• Upvote 2

The great thing about board game clubs is the fact that you don't have to be good at small talk as you've got the game to talk about while you're playing so it's a very good way of getting to know new people in an easy way. 

• Upvote 3

I agree with all that. Playing nerdy games with strangers is much, much easier than any other form of interaction.

Back on the recommendatron, I’ve played the Superhot card game a few times that is definitely intended as a single player experience. It’s not super hot, but it’s super pretty warm and it doesn’t take a decade to set up or take a whole table to play.

One I’ve not played yet, but apparently the Paper Tales expansion has a jolly good single player variant and with two players it’s definitely my favourite game in ages, so I’m entirely sure that’ll be worth the time too.

• Upvote 1

If it helps I also have no friends. I have tried to assemble a collection that has enough single player stuff to keep me occupied but I also torture myself with games like Avalon and fury of Dracula (at least star wars rebellion and war of the ring have fan-made single player variants).

I'm not a massive fan of viticulture but it has got a good single player bit which is relatively easy to set up and play. By contrast I still haven't been able to get fire in the lake to the table; not sure I will ever get anachrony out of the box after struggling to get it in the box after pressing out all the counters; and the one time I tried to play Mage Knight it took about two hours to set up by which time my wife got home and told me to get it off our table. I feel like I might be able to get cruel necessity out soon though. And my daughter enjoys playing formula d and x-wing with me.

One thing I would say is that if you're depressed then maybe single player boardgaming isn't going to be a panacea. A lot of games that have dedicated single player versions tend to be pretty punishing (eg. One deck dungeon, which is random and crap, or the space hulk card game which is ok). And set up and take down time can make that more annoying. 

Maybe you could look into digital versions of boardgames or boardgame-like games? I really prefer playing pandemic with all the pieces, but it's so much easier to play it on Steam. Lords of waterdeep is also pretty decent fun. And I also have a few old school wargames that mimic the play experience of a counter-based wargame. 

Anyway, hope this NGS get better for you, and hope this thread helps.

Edit: forgot to mention gloomhaven and 7th continent which are also both singleplayerable, but both are expensive and/or limited availability...

• Upvote 1

Prompted by this thread, I've unpacked Robinson Crusoe (  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/121921/robinson-crusoe-adventures-cursed-island ) and it's definitely worth a look for the soloist.  It might even qualify for a Cosmic Award in due course since it has two ticks against the key criteria of quality of design / manufacture / storeage and degree of replay-ablity.  Skip over the first scenario which is a yawn-athon of collecting wood, and it gets much more interesting and tricky to succeed over a limited number of rounds.  Things can go wrong very quickly or a lucky draw (a find of pelts in a cave) can save the day.

• Upvote 1

There's Deep Space D6 as well to add to the list. it's meant to be decent. Nice and compact too.

It's in my pile of shame, keep meaning to try it but other stuff gets in the way :/

• Upvote 2

The Lord of the Rings LCG is, I think, better in single player than multiplayer.

Buying a chapter and designing a deck to beat it is really satisfying.

• Upvote 1

Though I've not tried it, I imagine Wingspan probably has a decent solo game - Stonemaier seem to spend a good amount of resources on their Automa system (basically a pack of cards that simulate another player).  There are also some good dedicated solo games that I've heard of; Mr Cabbagehead's Garden & Coffee Roaster are two I've heard good things recently about.

Ones I have played myself and enjoyed are Terraforming Mars and Glass Road. I believe most Uwe Rosenberg games have a 1 player variant, but unless you enjoy the base game (as I do with Glass Road) and enjoy a high-score challenge, they usually feel like something is missing (i.e. other players!).

I do play online games regularly too - especially on Yucata.de as it hosts several games I really enjoy and can play in near-realtime (other sites like BoardGameArena are real time), and still get to play against real people rather than a deck of cards or an AI.

I would echo some of the other folk on here - it can be hard to meet new people, but as SimonC says above (I go to the same club), if other clubs are like ours, an evening gaming there is super welcoming - we've had several people come along for the first time and we've welcomed them, and not put any "social pressure" on them - we're all there to enjoy a game first and foremost. 

Also, there are some good places to find more about single player games, e.g. SoloMode Games on youtube. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVkbOlQJZExa5JDJFMcIkLw/videos

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah it was discontinued before FFG lost the license. You could try board game geek marketplace.

Just managed to land me a copy of this for £45 brand new and sealed so just now ordering some protective sleeves for the cards since this looks like something i need to keep in good condition. 

I can't believe how much the blister packed add-on packs are going for £50 and upwards. 

Bloody hell, I got for something like a fiver or a tenner off back when it was being discontinued! Didn't know it was in demand these days.

• Upvote 1

I'd highly recommend Arkham Horror LCG - a great deck building narrative type game that plays brilliantly solo.

In fact, this months Table Top gamer has a top 10 games for solo play and it's number 1.

I also recommend Escape the Dark Castle - it's ace.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I'd highly recommend Arkham Horror LCG - a great deck building narrative type game that plays brilliantly solo.

In fact, this months Table Top gamer has a top 10 games for solo play and it's number 1.

I also recommend Escape the Dark Castle - it's ace.

*opens copy of TTG*

No issues with any of the 10 games they have chosen (never heard of Friday so that's a new one to check out, although I'm not a fan of deck builders).  

I've figured out that I need to build some game "achievements" for Mage Knight (analogous to video gaming ones) to get back into it.  This is something which is implemented in HEXplore It which is another very free from exploration game, and I think it would work well with MK.  You could easily set up a number of objectives such as reach a certain level, burn a set number of monasteries, gain a certain number of spells, kill a certain number of monsters, reach a level of renown, so as to ease into the swing of it, level up a bit and before getting down to the serious business of sacking towns or the other suggested MP game objectives.

As for 7th Continent, this is ideal for the soloist since you can break play up at your convenience and everything is easy to manage on your table.  I'm not entirely sure about re-playablity on this one though, once you have cracked each of the puzzles.  Serious Poulp has announced a basic edition https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1926712971/the-7th-continent-what-goes-up-must-come-down/posts/2546761 which contains all the essentials and will presumably be available for less than the price of the kickstarter editions.  

Arkham Horror doesn't do anything for me but then I have idiosyncratic tastes sometimes!  I also don't like the way you have to shell out for each new scenario, so the aggregate cost soars, and the packaging is shit to boot.  Spirit Island I found too brain draining and sold, and Scythe I prefer to multi-hand rather than in Automota (must get this one out again soon) but the others - Gloomhaven, Robinson Crusoe and This War of Mine are all on the list of Cosmic Solo approved, or on the of interest list (I'm sure I'm going to end up getting This War of Mine one day).

• Upvote 1

I play mostly play solo with the odd game of Ticket to Ride with the wife - that's not a metaphor by the way.

I regularly play:

Pandemic

Escape the curse of the temple

Castle Panic

Forbidden Island

Forbidden Desert

The D&D board games - Legend of Drizzt et al

Dungeon Quest

Elder Sign

The Lord of the Rings LCG

The Fighting Fantasy game book are cheap and bring back some nostalgic memories  and - if you don't cheat and also do a map - give a strange sense of satisfaction when you complete them.

• Upvote 3