rllmuk
Benny

Your Favourite Ghibli Film (Poll)

What is your favourite Ghibli film? (You may pick one of each section if you wish)  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 21/06/2019 at 22:19, MDY said:

Might it be this one by any chance?
(Excuse the quality and short clip, just filmed it off the laptop screen in the hope it won't get a copyright strike!

This version is the one I saw years ago when it got an ITV screening - it absolutely blew my mind at the time..

While I'd had the foresight to tape it, annoyingly the VHS was set on 'Long Play'.. so while I had a copy (which I watched over and over for years) it was rubbish quality..
Having heard (and intensely disliked) the new Disney dub.. I did some research online and found out that dub HAD been used on one of the first Japanese DVD releases of Laputa, so I ended up buying several different Japanese copies in an effort to track it down.. and I found it.. :D

This is the DVD you want..

(There are releases out there that look similar but have the lower half of the rear cover text on gold - can't vouch for that one.. 
This one ~only~ has the Japanese and English audio tracks on it.. no others)

Lap01.thumb.jpg.960501af0bdbf2ef67ae951055ef69d6.jpgLap02.thumb.jpg.103a5edd6f57677c7df49f2156a3d597.jpg

It's available in a couple of places, but not cheap..

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/VWDZ-8014

https://www.amazon.co.jp/天空の城ラピュタ-DVD-宮崎駿/dp/B00005R5J4/ref=tmm_dvd_title_4?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I bought that one on release, navigating amazon JP and getting it sent over to the UK felt like an adventure in itself. Can't find exactly how I worked it all out at the time but it's the JAL (Japan Airlines) dub, the one that was on TV all those years ago.  Years later it stuck with me like some sort of ethereal dream, never quite sure what I'd seen but sure I had with just a look and a feel to go on when I was trying to track it down, things like that piano refrain in my head, the overgrown, untended gardens of Laputa. But then seeing the iconic guardians somewhere brought it all back, and it was around the time this was out when I tried to find out how to get a copy. Thinking back, maybe it was just luck I got the right one, I just don't think you could get it at all over here at the time so that was my only option, or the best option on offer. Who knows. 

Often think about selling it though, I've got it on blu-ray as well but it means I'd lose that dub from my childhood so I never quite get there, you know that even though I've not watched it for years it's something I'd end up regretting. Plus I've no idea what it's worth other than knowing it's fairly difficult to get hold of over here.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Often think about selling it though, I've got it on blu-ray as well but it means I'd lose that dub from my childhood so I never quite get there, you know that even though I've not watched it for years it's something I'd end up regretting. Plus I've no idea what it's worth other than knowing it's fairly difficult to get hold of over here.

Copies of that version of Laputa go for upwards of £30 quid from Japanese online stores that still have it.. It's unlikely to go down in price too much, it's not as though that dub will ever see another release now..

I'd never part with mine for nostalgia's sake alone.. It was the only version I had access to for years - even as a bad VHS copy..

I know it's not that accurate a dub and I know the original language is better.. but it's the one I grew up with and every other version now sounds varying degrees* of 'wrong' because I'd watched this one so many times by the point I saw any other..

So sometimes I watch the Japanese language version the Blu-Ray and sometimes this one on DVD.. Best of both..

*The 'kids' ruin the Disney version for me.. (Mark Hamill and Cloris Leachman are fine..)

• Upvote 1

I used to have a green coloured case dvd version of Laputa that I assume was the first Disney dubbed version of it? I replaced it with the newly more accurately subtitled dvd version and later the Blu-ray, but I'm wondering if I should have kept it...

2 hours ago, Benny said:

I used to have a green coloured case dvd version of Laputa that I assume was the first Disney dubbed version of it? I replaced it with the newly more accurately subtitled dvd version and later the Blu-ray, but I'm wondering if I should have kept it...

Don't think I've encountered that one.. I ended up with these 5 versions on DVD (the 3rd is the Japanese edition of that cover though..) and at least one or two others I can't find covers for online..

2068772960_Laputas2.thumb.jpg.4403e1325b46ce4b919959a460d977dd.jpg

Well, according to the results, Rllmuk's favourite Ghibli film of all time is...

Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro! (Which is impressive considering it was made before Ghibli formed.)

It's not Ghibli, but speaking of Lupin III, this trailer for a new CG one turned up a few days ago...

I like the look of it!

• Upvote 1

On 21/06/2019 at 18:52, Stigweard said:

I raise you

And go all in with

I still say you can’t beat Ponyo for sheer catchiness. She’s a little girl with a round tummy!

On 17/07/2019 at 19:12, Nick R said:

It's not Ghibli, but speaking of Lupin III, this trailer for a new CG one turned up a few days ago...

I like the look of it!

I feel like I should hate it, but it’s definitely got that Lupin flavour.

On 21/06/2019 at 15:46, Tourist said:

I think most Ghibli movies are just ok, except for only yesterday which is up there with in the mood for love as my favourite ever movie ever ever.

Never before has an opinion been so wrong and then so right.

I haven't read the whole thread, but Only Yesterday is an absolute work of art. I mean, most Miyazaki are and all of Takahata's films too, but Only Yesterday is something else. It's so personal and so affecting and an absolute perfect portrayal of youth. It is fucking staggering.

Isao Takahata was one of the greatest directors of his time. This is a wonderful piece about the themes of his work.

RIP, Isao, you beautiful man.

• Upvote 2

The same person did a supercut of food preparation and eating in (various animated, mostly Ghibli) films, and it's bloody lovely.

The animation of food was always so important in Ghibli films, and they strived extremely hard to make it look real.