rllmuk
neoELITE

EFL League 1, League 2, National League and Beyond 2019/20 Season

My Team Will....  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

There doesnt seem to be a round up show for mid week matches which is a pity given how many of them there are between now and early November.

I take it there is no co-ordination between leagues for re-scheduling potential clashes?  

The highlights I've found have been posted by the teams themselves on YouTube (both Eastleigh and Barnet have posted highlights, Stockport County and Notts County haven't posted anything as far as I can see)

28 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

I take it there is no co-ordination between leagues for re-scheduling potential clashes?  

Higher League's fixtures were released first and then I think the National League just fit in around that if they need to.

Not sure if scheduling Notts County vs Wrexham at the same time as a Forest game was a fuck up or they always intended to switch it.

14 minutes ago, wev said:

The highlights I've found have been posted by the teams themselves on YouTube (both Eastleigh and Barnet have posted highlights, Stockport County and Notts County haven't posted anything as far as I can see)

That's generally how it works aside from not much more than goals in the BT highlights.

Strange that Notts County haven't posted any. As far as I'm aware I think clubs are free to put up what they like after midnight following a weekend game. That's what we do. Wrexham generally put quite extensive highlights up, so you'll get a good one sided view of the game on Sunday.

19 minutes ago, wev said:

That's going to be a better alternative if available - SUFC do it for home matches.  

10 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

That's generally how it works aside from not much more than goals in the BT highlights.

Strange that Notts County haven't posted any. As far as I'm aware I think clubs are free to put up what they like after midnight following a weekend game. That's what we do. Wrexham generally put quite extensive highlights up, so you'll get a good one sided view of the game on Sunday.

Notts County only seen to put up a 6/7 minute video from the manager after each game, theirs "Notts County Talk" on YouTube too but that's basically a Nottnum version of Arsenal Fan TV

4-1 win over Exeter which was a lovely surprise, even though I understand it was a bit of a second string Exeter side it's nice to get some players firing. Matt Godden scored and looked decent which bodes well, I'd hope to see him as our first choice striker from here on in. Away to Watford in the next round though which has 2-0 to the home reserves written all over it.

• Upvote 1

Rather predictably, Ipswich made ten changes for the EFL Cup match against Luton (including debuts for two Academy players) - and lost 3-1.

Still feels odd that Luton are in a higher league than us.

Moving on to a far more prestigious competition, the 3rd round draw for the Tunnocks Caramel Wafer was today and Wrexham's European journey  will begin at home against Ayr United who finished 4th in the Scottish Championship last season so are probably pretty good. Realistically I'm not going to consider an away trip in the competition unless it's the final, so to get one of the better sides in there at home is decent I reckon. Can't wait.

• Upvote 1

Same result, same scorer, beat Peterborough again in the League Cup despite making 7 changes - good to see we have a little more depth this season as last year we'd struggle to make more than a couple of changes without basically throwing in the towel. Sadly one of our youth players, who had been battling illness last season so had limited playing time, had his leg broken by a pretty rubbish challenge. Seemed to be a little bit of a nasty edge to some of Peterborough's play in both games, not sure if that's something they've been told to do by Ferguson to stamp their authority on the game.

Regardless of intent, if someone is getting stretchered off you go and check on them or apologise. Also during the match on Saturday play was stopped whilst we were in possession for a possible head injury to Toney (he had jumped into our centreback). But when play was restarted instead of giving us the ball back Toney just started an attack .. I know it's not against the rules but it's pretty poor sportsmanship.

Blackpool next, I think that's going to be a tough test as they've started really well.

On 14/08/2019 at 23:54, Fatsam said:

Moving on to a far more prestigious competition, the 3rd round draw for the Tunnocks Caramel Wafer was today and Wrexham's European journey  will begin at home against Ayr United who finished 4th in the Scottish Championship last season so are probably pretty good. Realistically I'm not going to consider an away trip in the competition unless it's the final, so to get one of the better sides in there at home is decent I reckon. Can't wait.

Ayr lost their main goal threat in Lawrence Shankland to Dundee United over the summer. They had a good win on the opening day of the season, but then narrowly lost 1-0 to Dundee last weekend. It's hard to say how their season will go. In manager Ian McCall they have a guy who has been in football for a long time, and can get the best out of his players. But the loss of Shankland is huge for them, and it may take a period of adjustment now they're not relying on him.

I was kind of hoping that Wrexham might have been drawn against my 'home' team of Stirling Albion, so I could see them both in one go. Instead they got St Mirren Colts.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Butters said:

Ayr lost their main goal threat in Lawrence Shankland to Dundee United over the summer. They had a good win on the opening day of the season, but then narrowly lost 1-0 to Dundee last weekend. It's hard to say how their season will go. In manager Ian McCall they have a guy who has been in football for a long time, and can get the best out of his players. But the loss of Shankland is huge for them, and it may take a period of adjustment now they're not relying on him.

I was kind of hoping that Wrexham might have been drawn against my 'home' team of Stirling Albion, so I could see them both in one go. Instead they got St Mirren Colts.

It's destined to be the final Butters. I'll come up and buy you a beer.

I did see us against Kilmarnock in a pre-season a few years ago at the Racecourse, but to play a side outside of the English Leagues in a competitive fixture does have a bit of a novelty factor. 

Interesting about them being weakened from last season. I do wonder about how strong a side each team will put out anyway.

• Upvote 1

70% possession and we lost one nil. I think that kind of possession will win most games in League 2 but I also think we should change up the away formation and play one up front today. A lot of teams on this league play long balls and go for set plays.

Apparently, we have the biggest budget in the League and there are rumours of a £500 win bonus after Ryan Lowe let it slip in a Sky Sports feature. If we don't go up, it'll be embarrassing.

We lost.

Great to see Tommy Wright back in action after an ACL injury, and scoring late on to beat Boreham Wood, a team I have come to dislike in my SUFC supporting life.  Lads can put their feet up now since there is no mid week match (just the two in three days next weekend)

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Fatsam said:

It's destined to be the final Butters. I'll come up and buy you a beer.

I did see us against Kilmarnock in a pre-season a few years ago at the Racecourse, but to play a side outside of the English Leagues in a competitive fixture does have a bit of a novelty factor. 

Interesting about them being weakened from last season. I do wonder about how strong a side each team will put out anyway.

Beers will be on me mate!

I know what you mean about the novelty factor. It's always more interesting when you meet a team you don't play regularly. Given up here you can play each other four times in the League alone, it's definitely nice facing someone new.

Back in business today, 2-0 win over Bristol Rovers without them having a shot on target. That 0-0 draw at Bolton has fooled me into feeling we've started poorly but we're on 7 points without conceding a league goal - last year we took 7 games to hit that points total and finished just shy of the playoffs and this season we've still got a few players to come back into the team. I have to force myself not to be optimistic as it always bites back, so we'll lose 5-0 at Portsmouth on Tuesday now.

• Upvote 1

Another week, another draw. I think Notts County have gone ahead in all of them so far :rolleyes:

Don't shoot me if I'm wrong on that one though!

Reports suggest it was the best performance of the season by Notts County, so to end up with a point there is decent. Wrexham fans seem to think we weren't all that great. Be nice to see Redmond assert himself a bit more in that attacking midfield position than he has done so far for us. Hopefully the apparently ace goal he scored will be the catalyst. 

14 hours ago, wev said:

Another week, another draw. I think Notts County have gone ahead in all of them so far :rolleyes:

Don't shoot me if I'm wrong on that one though!

Here you go. Notts County with more of the chances, but Redmond with the game's moment of class. Diabolical goalkeeping from Dibble for the Notts County goal, but maybe that little injury he picked up contributed to that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26LtEX-8E-Q

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Fatsam

Looks like despite the higher number of chances Notts didn't really put your keeper under much duress, they gave the Wrexham defence a fair bit to worry about but I think Dibble(?) had pretty much everything that was on target covered.

Barnum-Bobb(?) sounds like a Mario character though.

On 17/08/2019 at 18:45, neoELITE said:

70% possession and we lost one nil. I think that kind of possession will win most games in League 2 but I also think we should change up the away formation and play one up front today. A lot of teams on this league play long balls and go for set plays.

Apparently, we have the biggest budget in the League and there are rumours of a £500 win bonus after Ryan Lowe let it slip in a Sky Sports feature. If we don't go up, it'll be embarrassing.

We lost.

We had almost the same against Blackpool and lost, dominated the game but couldn't score. The local rag describes it as 'Take the three points and run' - 'That would be my advice, for this was a theft as brazen as the Great Train Robbery in 1962.' 

So I'm not too down about it, as long as we're playing well we'll be ok - just one of those days.

Burton tomorrow evening, they like to play a passing game so it should be decent watch.

• Upvote 1

Bolton'sgame against Doncaster has been postponed.  They are basically fielding academy kids and want to protect their welfare.  (Which I can understand - they can't have a future in the game if they're getting destroyed each week.)

On the other hand, you can’t just pick and choose which games you are going to play. If they aren’t capable of fielding a team then they shouldn’t be in the league. It happens at every other level of the sport. 

I have sympathy for the players themselves they took a mauling on Saturday and it would have been a similar result the week before if it wasn’t for some very strange/dodgy refereeing decisions. 

I’ve seen two of their games this season and they simply can’t compete physically with the other teams. They also don’t yet have the experience to be able to cope tactically with the opposition either. 

There is definitely an argument that Bolton are using player welfare as an excuse while it is still a justifiable reason for the postponement.

A licensing system like they have elsewhere would have prevented this problem. Hell, when the Spanish and Italian FAs have a more efficient system then you really are in trouble.

It was all going to plan at Pompey, early lead and then surrender three, classic Cov performance. We then went mad, had two players sent off and came back to draw, I don't know what day it is any more.

• Upvote 1

2-2 tonight against Salford. 11,000+ in attendance. We had 27 shots and over 60% possession and only drew. Salford were very physical and scored two headers from crosses. They look good up front but their back four were very poor. They parked the bus in the second half. I wasn't impressed with them at all. They brought about 100 away fans. They'll do well in League 2 though. They're a very tall side and seem very "professional" in time wasting.