EFL League 1, League 2, National League and Beyond 2019/20 Season

My Team Will....  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Poor old Barnet, used to enjoy an away day back when their ground was actually in Barnet itself. Even got to see Edgar Davids play for them!

Apart from once when we beat them and I ended up in a pub full of their supporters who were looking for away fans to take it out on. Quietly enjoyed my drink without making too much fuss that night.

Probably not of much interest to all as it largely just focusses on Oxford United, but this article detailing Maxwell's involvement with the club is a bit of an eye opener and I guess shows to an extent how little has changed in terms of who the authorities deem fit and proper to buy a club: https://twohundredpercent.net/bad-things-oxford-united-maxwells/

On 26/07/2020 at 18:55, Chawkso said:

Poor old Barnet, used to enjoy an away day back when their ground was actually in Barnet itself. Even got to see Edgar Davids play for them!

Barnet seemed to benefit most from the points per game extrapolated basis for determining the National League.  They had a cup run and (seemingly) a permanently waterlogged pitch.  Anyway justice has been done with odious Yeovil and Boreham- come in a taxi - Wood eliminated, and the big 2 can battle it out Sunday.  Also Havant & Waterlooville were eliminated so no return of the Doz.  Not sure where this all leaves relegation from National League (4-2 means net 2 up at the present and numbers are to be maintained) or from League 2 with the legal issues there.

Once all that is resolved, the new season starts 3 October and I'm up for it, having, after some prevarication, renewed my season ticket at the discounted price.  I don't know what crowd control measures will have to be put in place at this level - the congested bar is the obvious issue at Sutton.  Other than that, so long as it isn't pissing down driving people under cover, there is no real issue to maintaining social distancing for 99.9% of fixtures.  I'm not a fan of sitting in the stand anyway since it dates from when folk were a good inch or two shorter than nowadays and it's impossible to sit with straight legs (even at 5 8), so you have to either twist sideways into an aisle or you are knocking knees with both neighbours

Relying on it not pissing down over the autumn and winter in the United Kingdom to maintain social distancing sounds like a foolproof plan to me :lol:

Altrincham won National League North playoff final so a nice localish game for us to look forward to when football does come back.

Weymouth won the south one.

No season tickets available for us yet. We have 7 players contracted. All decent ones, but 2 of those haven't quite worked out and we'll be attempting to move on, so a fair bit of squad building to do. Wise to hold off making new signings at the moment though I reckon. 

We signed Ryan Hardie on a season long loan. He scored goals last season, 7 in 12 appearances, that led to our promotion and he's quick and 6ft+. I don't understand why Blackpool have loaned him to us. He only started a couple of games for us and wasn't too fit but I'm excited about that signing.

We signed Luke McCormack again - third time. Looks like our young keeper Mike Cooper is getting the number 1 shirt. Quite excited about that as he's got a great future.

We've sold 4090 season tickets so far according to my mate who works for the club.

Shame for Notts County, but it always feels fair when second place still manage to get promoted. I think I'm right in saying that before the season was cancelled Harrogate were due to play Barrow at home and were in slightly better form too, so there was a very realistic chance that they would have finished top. 

On 03/08/2020 at 11:04, Fatsam said:

Shame for Notts County, but it always feels fair when second place still manage to get promoted. I think I'm right in saying that before the season was cancelled Harrogate were due to play Barrow at home and were in slightly better form too, so there was a very realistic chance that they would have finished top. 

I think most expected Notts County to either walk it or struggle, I can't say I'm not disappointed not to go straight back up, but it is what it is, they need to get themselves in order off the pitch really or they'll go straight back down again once promoted

The National League has met again and it seems fans will be able to attend matches from 3 October (including away fans), subject to stadium capacity constraints.  It's hard to see that really being an issue at this level, other than for prestige cup fixtures or maybe the odd derby game.  Sutton are restricting season ticket sales to 750 this year and have sold around 550 which is probably around half the usual (recent seasons) number.  Looking at the note circulated, it would seem the clubs would be interested in relaxation of the alcohol consumption rules but I imagine that would be unlikely.  It's apparently allowed at pitch side below National League level.    We've made a couple of signings too - Dean Bouznanis a 29 year old keeper (we had a good one on loan from Wimbledon last season), and 25 year old striker Tobi Sho-Silva from Halifax.  I suppose you could consider Harry Beautyman signing a new deal to be the best news of all.  Tommy Wright and our loanees have left (wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tommy popping up at Havant since he's another who lives Southampton way).  

Mark Molesley manager of Vanarama National League club Weymouth FC  has been appointed at Southend United new manager. Not a great jump to League Two tbh. Especially with all the financial issues we are having, staff not getting paid etc recently. Doubt he'll be getting much backing for new players, with the whole new stadium concerns and the winding-up petition for tax owed to  Revenue & Customs coming up in September.

Anything is better than what we had with Sol Campbell I suppose.