rllmuk
neoELITE

EFL League 1, League 2, National League and Beyond 2019/20 Season

My Team Will....  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bury have had their opening game of the season suspended over doubts that they can fulfil their fixtures.  Bolton were under a similar threat but apparently there is (yet another) consortium looking at taking them over.

Southend United fan here, glad to see Mark Milligan has been announced as our captain (he is also captain of the Australian national team).

Our kit is another one of the Paddy Power 'Save Our Shirt' campaign shirts.

I do like the design this year (especially the away yellow kit):

10174763.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=resp

10202375.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=resp

• Upvote 1

Yep, I think Bury are gone now. We're in court tomorrow where I think the judge will liquidate us. That seems to have a 7 day grace period but I can't see a knight in shining armour coming in to this mess. Sort of glad my dad isn't here to see what the club has become. Think I'll have to start supporting Ramsbottom United instead.

• Empathy 3

Yes, it's really shit news. I really feel sorry for you mate. We were close to this ourselves not so long ago and it genuinely affected my everyday life at the time.

How the hell did Dale pass the EFL tests?

If Bury are gone, I hope you all get together and start a phoenix club. It isn't the same obviously and I hope you won't need to do that but it looks very likely. 

• Upvote 1

At the time I was thinking more about my own team (Coventry) rather than other teams. Sadly, I think it is something we will see more of in the next few seasons. 

• Upvote 1

I think the Lower League system needs an overhaul in terms of how owners are regulated. I'm not sure how but there are countless bad owners that have almost destroyed clubs. You can't expect a player to survive if they aren't paid for months on end and it's worse for non-playing staff and local suppliers. Perhaps there are too many football clubs playing at a professional level to sustain. 

Pointed out in the Telegraph 

Bury might be expelled.

Bolton have gone bust again.

Coventry are playing in Birmingham.

Oxford are sponsored by a company whose products the chairman refuses to sell in the stadium.

Fleetwoods manager is up on charges of assaulting another manager.

Gillingham are managed by a convicted tax fraudster. 

Truly League One is full of basket cases.

Bloody hell it is two days and all, I had in my head that our game Saturday was the last pre-season friendly. Where did summer go?

53 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Pointed out in the Telegraph 

Bury might be expelled.

Bolton have gone bust again.

Coventry are playing in Birmingham.

Oxford are sponsored by a company whose products the chairman refuses to sell in the stadium.

Fleetwoods manager is up on charges of assaulting another manager.

Gillingham are managed by a convicted tax fraudster. 

Truly League One is full of basket cases.

Not 100% accurate, we're sponsored by Singha beer because our current chairman is Thai and presumably has business connections there. But the problem stems from the fact we don't own our ground, we're tenants and lease it from a previous club owner. This means we have precious little say on what goes on within the ground itself as we're just tenants. So a catering company leases the space in the ground from the ground owner to sell food and drink and the club see none of that revenue. Whether or not they want to stock Singha is their choice (don't care for it myself personally!) but not something the club can dictate or influence. This is all a legacy of a disastrous decision some time ago to separate the club from the ground - whether this was done knowing the future consequences or was a naive error is debatable. But the fact is the former chairman Firoz Kassam, has done a number on us and has done nothing since to indicate he has any sympathy with our situation. In fact, he'd probably like it if we went bust and he could demolish the stadium and sell it for housing.

That said, I wouldn't say we're not a basket case - we lose 1-2 mil a season usually which isn't sustainable, and unless we can find a solution to free us from our current situation regarding the ground to increase revenue we're always going to struggle. Now why someone would want to buy the club knowing the above is another matter... !

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I think the Lower League system needs an overhaul in terms of how owners are regulated. I'm not sure how but there are countless bad owners that have almost destroyed clubs. You can't expect a player to survive if they aren't paid for months on end and it's worse for non-playing staff and local suppliers. Perhaps there are too many football clubs playing at a professional level to sustain. 

More needs to be done certainly, but I don't think the last point is an issue. Particularly with the level of payments to clubs and how healthy crowds are these days.

Football clubs attract their fair share of crooks and  too frequently get themselves into financial trouble because of over spending and general mismanagement, but there is no reason why all the  league clubs can't operate as full time professional clubs. Even the smallest ones will comfortably have the income to do it. 

Here's a good one. Glanford Park, home of Scunthorpe United is now The Sands Venue Stadium. This may not strike you as unusual.

The Sands Venue Resort is owned by the Scunthorpe chairman. This is also not unusual.

What is odd is the The Sands Venue Resort promotes itself as the first 5-star luxury hotel... in Blackpool.

I'll be taking my boy to see his first match at Gresty Road (or the Alexandra Stadium if you must) this weekend. This is a triumph largely because he had aligned himself with Manchester United over the past few years. However, increasingly disappointing happenings at Old Trafford have him leaning towards joining his old man and becoming a fully-fledged Railwayman.

The downside? We live in Cornwall, so we'll be travelling further than even Saturday's opponents Plymouth to take in the game. Fingers crossed for an entertaining match.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

I hope Crewe lose 0-6.

I bet you do! Two-time Crewe stalwart Ryan Lowe being your new manager doesn't bode well for me in the superstition stakes.

Jamal Lowe has signed for Wigan. So that's two of our best players gone now. Need the new signings to make a real impact this season.

Having said that, we did well to get £3 million for him. Pretty good fee for a League 1 side.

12 hours ago, Coltrane said:

Jamal Lowe has signed for Wigan. So that's two of our best players gone now. Need the new signings to make a real impact this season.

Having said that, we did well to get £3 million for him. Pretty good fee for a League 1 side.

Wigan had £4m to spend after selling Powell and McManaman. 

I was surprised you signed Marquis. Good signing that.

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Wigan had £4m to spend after selling Powell and McManaman. 

I was surprised you signed Marquis. Good signing that.

Yeah I think Marquis will do well for us. Looks like a quality striker.

TOP OF THE LEAGUE :D

At least it pissed on Salford's chips. 

Good results for Wrexham, Oxford and Ipswich. 

I really fear for Bolton. They're doomed. -12 and a ramshackle squad. I think they're relegated already.

• Upvote 2

He sounds like a character from The Fall Guy or Dukes of Hazard or something, but JJ Hooper :wub:

Scored one and set up one in a 2-1 win against Barrow. He shoves defenders and has a bit of pace, makes good runs with some great stuff down the channels, nice hold up play. Better than anything I've seen up front and central in a game of football for us since Louis Moult left over 4 years ago. You can't fluke all of that can you? Could be a huge signing for us.

Nice result to start the season off.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Just got in the door after the long drive back. I’d say 3-0 was pretty flattering for Plymouth but my lot had no cutting edge so didn’t deserve to get anything from the match despite an encouraging rally in the second half.

I don’t think Plymouth showed what they’re capable of today despite the scoreline but that looks like a solid squad. And if you can drift through games but still take your chances clinically like today then it should be a good season for you.

12-hour round trip and bugger all to show for it.

8/10 would go again.

• Upvote 4

We took 1600 to Crewe. That's impressive. People were thinking we'd average 7000 at home this season but if we're up near the top we should average 8 or 9000. 

A good start. Most reports are similar to yours @Billy Brown and I hope you get to see more games this season.

Yes, the Ice Cream Van Stand (!) was well stocked with Plymouth fans, very impressive effort.

We should get to see a few away games this season - Plymouth, Exeter, Newport, Cheltenham & Forest Green are all 1.5 to 3.5 hour drives which isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure we'll get to a couple more home games too.

Despite the pasting I'm just delighted to have the season back underway and my son is really enthused, so it's all good. Until we're stuck in the relegation zone in the third week of September, at least. 

6 hours ago, Billy Brown said:

Yes, the Ice Cream Van Stand (!) was well stocked with Plymouth fans, very impressive effort.

We should get to see a few away games this season - Plymouth, Exeter, Newport, Cheltenham & Forest Green are all 1.5 to 3.5 hour drives which isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure we'll get to a couple more home games too.

Despite the pasting I'm just delighted to have the season back underway and my son is really enthused, so it's all good. Until we're stuck in the relegation zone in the third week of September, at least. 

When you come to Plymouth, visit the Hyde Park social Club after and I'll buy you an orange and lemonade (as you're driving) and some chips. :D

• Upvote 1

On 03/08/2019 at 17:16, neoELITE said:

At least it pissed on Salford's chips. 

Good results for Wrexham, Oxford and Ipswich. 

I really fear for Bolton. They're doomed. -12 and a ramshackle squad. I think they're relegated already.

Yeah decent result, would have taken the point if you had offered it to me before the game. Sounded like some players were struggling for march fitness, and we're sorely lacking any striking options but a positive start.

Already surpassed the start of last season! 

Bolton and Bury look like they're in a bad way, not sure if they'll both see the season out but if they do they've got a mountain to climb already.

1-0 win over Southend, sounded like we were a bit wasteful and almost let them back into a game we shouldn't have so a bit squeaky. Our next game is away at Bolton who should be ripe for the picking but that's the exact kind of game we balls up.

3 hours ago, wullie said:

1-0 win over Southend, sounded like we were a bit wasteful and almost let them back into a game we shouldn't have so a bit squeaky. Our next game is away at Bolton who should be ripe for the picking but that's the exact kind of game we balls up.

I'd be surprised if Bolton won a game all season. I think they'll struggle to get more than 10 points given their -12 start.