EFL League 1, League 2, National League and Beyond 2019/20 Season

My Team Will....  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I hope you do go up @Coltrane as your supporters deserve it after sticking with the club. 

Thanks @neoELITE - appreciate it mate. I really hope we do come through and win the playoffs but it is going to be such a tough battle.

Yeah our core supporters are genuinely some of the most loyal fans around. I know a lot of clubs have a really strong supporter base but not many of them will have (in some cases) used their life savings and retirement funds to bail out their own club and save it from the brink of liquidation. We were probably the closest you can get to disappearing completely in 2013 and I, and many others, really did believe it was going to happen because we couldn't seem to strike a deal that satisfied all the interested parties.

A lot of credit should go to Iain McInnes. He is a local businessman who was absolutely crucial when it came to negotiating with administrators and the High Court. He had all the right skills and acumen to spearhead the PST buyout offer. I remember seeing him in tears when the deal was done and a lot of supporters were really pleased that he agreed to become the new chairman as well.

If anyone is interested in the story behind our fan buyout then this Guardian article is reasonably good at outlining all the key events and players:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/apr/10/portsmouth-future-fratton-park-ownership#:~:text=Amid celebratory scenes in the,former owner of the club.

14 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

I think that's game over. The stats are completely against Exeter. I'm not watching it but it looks very one sided.

Annoyingly, we were looking much, much better before that red. Absolute clown and should know much better than that.

Shambles.

League 1 play offs. 

Northampton were play off contenders from average points per game. Can Wycombe emulate them?

We have Oxford and Pompey fans here so my allegiance is with you but will it be a repeat with Wycombe?

Honestly, I think the L1 playoffs are pretty open. All 4 have a decent chance. Things will become clearer after tonight's 1st leg matches though.

I'm really not confident to be honest. We'll need to get at least a 2 goal cushion to take to Oxford and I can't see that happening realistically.

Haha, I'm not confident either! Then again, I'm never confident - I've followed Oxford for too long! We were in decent form before the season got halted, but after such a long break I've got no idea what's going to happen,.

Weirdly, I sort of feel like this a free hit sort of game. Would I like to win, absolutely, but if we don't I'd still be happy as that is the best season I've experienced in a long time and finishing wherever we end up will be an achievement in itself.

Wycombe were in a downward spiral before all of this but I guess none of that is really relevant now. Fleetwood and Pompey play much nicer football, but Wycombe are sort of ugly and effective.

Good luck to all, hopefully it'll be good entertainment value whatever happens. I'm going to set the TV up in the garden now so my mate who sits next to me at the ground can watch it with me socially distanced, just hope it doesn't start raining.

Well I thought we looked really rusty and was happy to come away with a draw. Didn't think it was a great game from either side to be honest, I'd say the two best players were each side's centre backs which gives you an idea of what sort of game it was.

Couldn't understand the decision to start Woodburn, he hasn't played since October and to throw him straight back in for such an important game was a strange decision for me. We knew Curtis was the danger man, and Woodburn not tracking back left Long exposed against him too many times. Hopefully Sykes starts in his place on Monday.

Definitely need to improve our game for Monday's match because apart from a 20 minute spell we struggled to get a hold of the game.

The Wycombe Fleetwood match was better value for money entertainment wise that's for sure!

(oh and it rained, of course it did)

Wycombe :seanr:

It'll be ridiculously tough for Fleetwood to turn that around. I can see Wycombe basically suffocating that second leg with stoppages and time wasting and their physio will have a very busy day. 

I actually hope Wycombe go up as we won't have to play them next season.

2 hours ago, Chawkso said:

Well I thought we looked really rusty and was happy to come away with a draw. Didn't think it was a great game from either side to be honest, I'd say the two best players were each side's centre backs which gives you an idea of what sort of game it was.

Couldn't understand the decision to start Woodburn, he hasn't played since October and to throw him straight back in for such an important game was a strange decision for me. We knew Curtis was the danger man, and Woodburn not tracking back left Long exposed against him too many times. Hopefully Sykes starts in his place on Monday.

Definitely need to improve our game for Monday's match because apart from a 20 minute spell we struggled to get a hold of the game.

The Wycombe Fleetwood match was better value for money entertainment wise that's for sure!

(oh and it rained, of course it did)

Yeah I think both sides looked really rusty and there were sloppy mistakes being made on both sides of the pitch. I think a draw was a fair result. Both sides had danger men - Curtis for us and Browne for Oxford - but apart from a short period where both made a mark, it was the defences that were on top for most of the match.

I think it's a hard one to call but Oxford's home advantage might prove to be the difference. Although, without fans, is it really as much of an advantage?!

Not sure there's much of an advantage at ours even without a pandemic. The legacy of being stuck with a stadium with only 3 stands which are all set quite far back from the pitch and have massive gaps between them means unless it's a full house then the atmosphere is pretty flat anyway!

But yeah as you say, without fans there I don't think there's going to be much difference in terms of home advantage.