rllmuk
neoELITE

EFL League 1, League 2, National League and Beyond 2019/20 Season

My Team Will....  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, El Pibe said:

I think a lot of us have mixed feelings about it.

There's a part of me that thinks it might have been a distraction from the promotion push, but it's also a cup final and we don't reach many of those!

Either way, it was great to see such a young team, with so many changes from the league game, go toe-to-toe with Pompey. Bodes well for the future!

Yeah I know what you mean. I have the same concerns that cup games like this are fine but I really don't understand why we only made 2 changes from our last league game. Our priority has to be promotion first and foremost.

And a really good second half saw us end up with one of those draws which feel more like a win.  Great result for Sam''s Wrexham too.  Fylde LOL.

• Upvote 1

I didn't think Cambridge had that many buses. They did. They parked every one. 

0-0.

To be fair, you should applaud it as they came for a point and got one but watching nine outfield players defend for the whole game was frustrating.

They had 30 something % of possession. 25 of that was throw ins and goal kicks. They had 0 shots on target. We had 1.

We lost 2 points today. 

1 hour ago, AfromB said:

I heard that they should have had a penalty though?

Absolutely. And a possible red. That was their only attack in the first half. We had a few too. Right at the end, our player was tripped. A Premier League ref would have given both. 

We looked tired in the second half.

I miss my first home game next Tuesday due to work. I could do with a break too. The last five home games have been fairly hard to sit through.

In League 2, the top four are going to be the only sides going up automatically with one missing out. Our run in only has Exeter and Northampton to really worry about. Both at home. We play Grimsby twice too.

I think that one thing that unites all fans of lower league teams is how bad the standard of officiating is at this level. It’s funny reading the main football thread with all the premier league fans complaining about the refs. They don’t know how lucky they are. 

• Upvote 3

On 22/02/2020 at 18:22, Cosmic_Guru said:

Being battered by Barrow. Quigley impressive but pulling one back just before half time gives hope.

Scott Quigley was really good for us when we had him too. Injury prone, but excellent at our level when fit, and Barrow have had a mostly fit one. A gamble signing for them that looks to have paid off massively. Great comeback from you lot though. To be honest, I thought you were on for challenging for the playoffs after your ace late 2019 run of form, but all those draws since have killed off any hopes.

A great win for us at Bromley. We were fucking awful away from home in 2019, but now have three 2-0 away victories in four matches this year.  Unexpectedly, because they were a bit mixed the first time he was in charge of us, Keates has made some really decent forward signings that gives us a chance in these games now. Coventry loan Ponticelli and Ross County reject Keillor Dunn the difference yesterday with two cracking goals.

Another away game at out of form Yeovil at the weekend.

18 hours ago, AfromB said:

I think that one thing that unites all fans of lower league teams is how bad the standard of officiating is at this level. It’s funny reading the main football thread with all the premier league fans complaining about the refs. They don’t know how lucky they are. 

We have no VAR. I'm quite content with the way our games are officiated.

The good thing about having really poor officials is that they more frequently make mistakes which means that bad decisions are more likely to even themselves up over the course of a single game of football. So what we are getting is shit, but pretty fair refereeing. Issues arise in our games when we have someone actually pretty competent who fancies themselves taking charge of a world cup final one day and then they make a single wrong call in a tight game. 

13 hours ago, Fatsam said:

Scott Quigley was really good for us when we had him too. Injury prone, but excellent at our level when fit, and Barrow have had a mostly fit one. A gamble signing for them that looks to have paid off massively. Great comeback from you lot though. To be honest, I thought you were on for challenging for the playoffs after your ace late 2019 run of form, but all those draws since have killed off any hopes.

Yes, its hard to make sense of our season at times, losing to really poor outfits - Maidenhead and Ebbsfleet - for example at home, and then enjoying that incredible purple patch (we gave up v Woking - 6-2 flattered them),  although once more we tend to play better against teams which play decent football.  We knew it would be different this season with a new gaffer and the most obvious change is the slow down in the revolving door of short term loans in and out.  We couldn't have anticipated the retirement through injury of 2 senior defenders but Louis John was a good replacement signing and 2 young defenders have been out on loan all season so will hopefully strengthen the squad next season.   Since the purple patch we've struggled again in front of goal, but now seem a hard team to beat.  Beautyman is having a great season.  Wright has struggled to regain form after long term injury. Bugiel hasn't scored much but contributes in other ways.   Eastman picks up too many red cards and I think we miss him when he's out.   Just need to keep drawing until we are safe and then hopefully have one or two of those crazy end of season games when the goals go flying in at both ends!  

I've always been impressed with Beautyman when I've seen him. A player every team in the league would love in their squad. It's been mentioned before, but that unpredictability of results will, as they have been with us, be partly due to how close the standard of teams are in the league this season. I've never seen anything like it before.

I did look at the National League table on Saturday. It's insanely tight from Barnet in 12th on 49 points to Chesterfield who occupy the fourth relegation spot on 40 points. 10 teams who could all realistically be relegated. 3rd place is 55 points. Wrexham with a goal difference of 0 are on 42 points. 

You'll have to remind us how promotion works again.

8 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I'll point you in the direction of last seasons thread when I was more in the mood to spend time explaining it.

10 hours ago, neoELITE said:

It's first place and then a viscous lottery of a mini-cup competition for the second place.

If the current table was the end of the season one we would have, as single leg play off ties:

QF1   Halifax v Notts County

QF 2   Yeovil v Dover

SF 1   Boreham Wood v winner of QF1 

SF 2   Harrogate v winner of QF 2  (I think its this way round)

Final at Wembley

56 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

It's first place and then a viscous lottery of a mini-cup competition for the second place.

If the current table was the end of the season one we would have, as single leg play off ties:

QF1   Halifax v Notts County

QF 2   Yeovil v Dover

SF 1   Boreham Wood v winner of QF1 

SF 2   Harrogate v winner of QF 2  (I think its this way round)

Final at Wembley

Really stupid. They should either do two up or one up and then 2nd to 5th in a two leg play off.

If you finish higher you have the advantage of home playoff games and fewer games in the case of teams that finish 2nd and 3rd. So in that respect it's actually better than the old system that the football league use.

Playoffs give hope to more teams, but all things considered I'd get rid of them completely. Promote the best in the league.

It should also be expanded to three up, but that will always be difficult to get the football league clubs to agree to.

2-1 defeat at Bradford. Two sent off. We pulled one back with 9 men. I'm not going on Tuesday at home to Grimsby due to work. We really need to win that.

Cheltenham are now in contention.

A bad set of results for us yesterday.

Exeter Vs Crewe is a six pointer on Tuesday.

Biggest loss of the season for Wrexham yesterday losing 3-0 at Yeovil. Their first goal sounded really silly from our keeper who put the ball down to complain to the ref about a foul he thought should have been given. Nothing was given and their player simply kicked the ball into our net. Fortunately sides below us lost too, but it's looking pretty important that we beat Eastleigh at home next weekend. Our easiest looking game left by far and limited chance of points at top of the table Barrow the game after.

Nice easy game against Arsenal tonight in the FA Cup. I suppose it will be a good chance for some of the fringe players to make their mark ;)

Got round to watching the highlights from Saturday. That pitch at Bradford was worse than a park pitch. Both reds were justified regardless of our fans claiming the ref was wrong. Our captain and left sided defender now misses four games and our top scorer misses a game. EDIT two games.

Bounced back with a 3-0 at home to Grimsby. I worked late so donated my season ticket to a friend. Crewe and Exeter drew against each other so we go 3rd. Swindon win again. All three of us have winnable games on Saturday. Exeter away at Walsall the toughest (on paper).

It's tight. 

I don’t want to jinx anything but this is the first time since 1967 that we (Coventry) have been top of a league after Christmas. I don’t think that anyone really knows how to react to this state of affairs and I’d  still be over the moon with a play off place. 

14 hours ago, AfromB said:

I don’t want to jinx anything but this is the first time since 1967 that we (Coventry) have been top of a league after Christmas. I don’t think that anyone really knows how to react to this state of affairs and I’d  still be over the moon with a play off place. 

You deserve it. You've been very consistent. I have a feeling that you will go up automatically but I do think that the second promotion spot is very much wide open.

Last year, Pompey were top for about 4 months of the season but we fell away and lost our nerve when it really counted. This season we've clawed our way into contention despite starting really badly. I hope we can find enough consistency to grab that second spot because we are so bad when it comes to the playoffs. Our record is terrible.

THing is...there are about eight teams in contention for both promotion spots so it's gonna be damn hard to predict how things will finish.

One of our strikers, Tommy Wright, who has been recovering from a cruciate injury his season has announced he's taking a break from football for reasons of mental health . Good to hear that at least he is now getting some professional support. 

Daylight between us and Exeter. The goal difference is worth a point too. Macclesfield are abysmal.

It’s still so, so tight up there at the top of League Two, especially with Cheltenham having a game in hand.

Obviously delighted with how today’s results went but there are a good few nervy weekends in the offing. 

2 hours ago, Billy Brown said:

It’s still so, so tight up there at the top of League Two, especially with Cheltenham having a game in hand.

Obviously delighted with how today’s results went but there are a good few nervy weekends in the offing. 

I forgot who you supported. Had to go to my OP 

Post when you're winning

You only post when you're winning

Post when you're winning

I thought Crewe were the best team we've played at home this season. We beat you but shouldn't have. Last season in League 1 it was Coventry. I've got form for seeing a good lower league side, tapping my nose and winking.

Crewe should be in League 1 next season.

16 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I forgot who you supported. Had to go to my OP 

Post when you're winning

Post when you're winning

I thought Crewe were the best team we've played at home this season. We beat you but shouldn't have. Last season in League 1 it was Coventry. I've got form for seeing a good lower league side, tapping my nose and winking.

Crewe should be in League 1 next season.

I think you’ll find I posted in here very graciously after you beat us the other week! I also previously asked you about Luke Jephcott, which you very rudely ignored. Humph. 

As for the rest of your post, I’ve been supporting this lot way too long to be getting carried away just yet. From the few live matches I’ve seen this season we definitely have a talented young squad, and in Artell a manager who has achieved success with the club as a player at this level. That all bodes well.

However, as exciting as we’ve always been going forward we’ve also always been somewhat suspect at the back. This season is no exception, although I’ve been really encouraged that the traditional injury time goals that seem to happen 8-10 times a season in Crewe games are actually going in at the right end for once. We’ve shown resilience this season that just hasn’t been there before.

We’ll see in the coming weeks. Besides, if Plymouth go up that’s essentially Crewe anyway, right? Lowe, Schumacher, Cooper, Moore, Grant, Sarcevic...

• Upvote 3

Just joshing. 

Our first was taken well. Cooper assist. Cooper then scored two. His first, our second, was a great goal. Macclesfield were wasteful and our keeper played well. One off the line at 1-0 and we went straight up the other end and scored. 

Over the line? This one didn't count.

IukRj1t.png.f4418cd13e48656790bcfa73b22f060c.png

We have been over performing and so a slump has felt inevitable. Hopefully, we'll pick up again as I can't face the playoffs again.