EFL League 1, League 2, National League and Beyond 2019/20 Season

My Team Will....  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 hours ago, Billy Brown said:

Crewe still top somehow. I watched the 0-0 with Colchester last night on iFollow and it was pretty abysmal stuff. We had loads of possession and got in behind wide on several occasions but carved out precisely zero nailed-on chances. We gifted them a couple of sitters in the first half but thankfully they didn't take them.

They should have won it at the death, though. There was an incident in our penalty area in the 95th minute which somehow resulted in Colchester being both awarded a penalty and having a man sent off. He'd been on the pitch for 2 minutes! I had no idea what was going on in my devastation at surely throwing away a point. Step up Will Jaaskelainen to save the day once again.

I also attended the draw at Cheltenham a few weeks back. That was a decent point in the end as was had our right back and captain sent off with 20 mins to go. Cheltenham were absolutely filthy, though. Not keen on them having a successful season.

Agree with that. They kicked us off the park a few weeks ago.

Yep, absolutely. We've got a very young side (centre backs and striker excluded) and it was clear that a big part of their game plan was to attempt to bully and intimidate. Biggest culprits seemed to be Raglan at the back and Varney up top, although that was probably exacerbated by him being an ex-Crewe darling.

Apparently a number of Bury fans are going to be in the away end when we play at Bolton in the FA Cup. I know it's very close to Bury but it seems quite odd. 

Devon Derby tomorrow. 1pm kick off. Our manager might just be trying to tell us it is "just another game".

I don't think Matty Taylor will be too worried about us after this game and I won't be too worried about them after this game. We take each game as it comes. We are looking forward to it but as I have said it is just another game.

At least eight times he said that at yesterday's press conference.

16 hours ago, El Pibe said:

Looking at the weather forecast, it's likely to be a scrappy mess. 

The Argyle lot will be glad of the covered away end!

Looking out of the window, you might be right. It's horrible. A game for big lads and set pieces maybe.

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

Bloody lost this now. 2-0 to City. FFS.

Soft pen and a stupid free kick apparently to concede. Hopefully @El Pibe you're soaking wet. :hmm:

We won't come back from this.

Soft but definite pen. Silly from the defender.

I was sat near the away end. Enjoyed the Argyle players start to come over at the end, cop a load of abuse from the Argyle fans still there, and quickly divert to the changing rooms.

11 minutes ago, El Pibe said:

Soft but definite pen. Silly from the defender.

I was sat near the away end. Enjoyed the Argyle players start to come over at the end, cop a load of abuse from the Argyle fans still there, and quickly divert to the changing rooms.

Classic City fan. Did you clap your lot off or revel in your cup final win and enjoy our misfortune instead?

I'm not bitter :blah:

3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

My face today from 9am

Rugby :D

Football :hmm::blink2::(:angry::facepalm:

Same here, with a bigger gap in-between.  Slithered into the relegation zone now from which I fear we are going to find it difficult to escape.  Since it was teeming down I stayed with the away fans at their end after half time, just as I did with the visit of then bottom club Braintree last season.  Exactly the same result (perhaps this is bad karma or something).  Can't begrudge folk going absolutely ape when things go their way though.  Their keeper went off injured and they had no alternative on the bench for 10-15 minutes.  We couldn't profit. And then at the end of the resulting 9 minutes of injury time, we conceded a penalty AGAIN.  Was right behind that one and slunk out amongst the jubilation.

To make matters worse we learn our RB and player of the season last year has had to retire through injury, and perhaps we can put the last two defeats down to patched up defence (we scored twice in each which should count for a lot more).

1 hour ago, El Pibe said:

There you go. :lol:

They're all season ticket holders. Most of whom moaned like fuck when we were 4-0 up at half time last Tuesday night and didn't win 18-0. I've been away a lot over the years and never lost my shit at the team. If we were rock bottom I'd understand. It this was Carlisle away, I'd get it.

On reflection, it's one game.

It's a bad result but we'll probably end up above you at the end of the season. We should do considering how much our Chairman has splashed this season.

Those fans gesticulating aren't fans. They're entitled twats.

Slow handclap for Kenny Jackett again today. 2-0 up away to Bristol Rovers with 10 mins left and totally dominating the game, we manage to somehow conspire to concede 2 goals and end up drawing a game we should have won easily.

We just cannot seem to defend when put under pressure. We're also terrible when it comes to defending set pieces. Yet again, we concede from a corner. And that's the fault of the coaching and management team. The players seem to be totally lacking in self belief and that's a big part of why we struggle to hold on to a lead when ahead.

I'm sorry but much as I think KJ is a decent coach, he seems to have run out of ideas and the players have lost confidence in him. The fans seem to overwhelmingly want him gone as well. A few weeks ago, I would have argued against that. Now..I totally agree he needs to be sacked. We should not be in 16th place in L1 at this stage of the season. Especially when at the same point last season we were top by a few points.

Our chairman is not one for making rash decisions and he's a big fan of the manager so, he's not likely to sack him unless we decline even further and start flirting with relegation. The problem is though, the manager has lost the support of the fans and the players so, whatever happens, he's living on borrowed time. His tactics just aren't working anymore.

I suppose the question is who do you want to replace him? As sometimes these things don't end up improving the situation. Why have things changed so much this season? Have to admit I didn't keep track of all the comings and goings in L1 so was recruitment the issue? I know you signed Marquis but wasn't sure who had left (as presumably he cost a few quid!).

We beat a pretty poor Rochdale team in horrific conditions on Saturday, somehow the rain was hitting me in the face despite the fact I sit about 3 rows from the back of the stand. In fairness to them they tried to play it out from the back and pass it about but they never really looked threatening and started resorting to hopeful long balls to chase after about 15 minutes. We went two up quite quickly, then their lone striker got a straight red just before half time which killed the game and allowed us to rest some players for Sunderland on Tuesday night.

Second half was a bit strange in that they didn't seem to want to try and chase the game and we were content to just keep possession, probably the most relaxed I've been at an Oxford match. That said, we were wasteful with chances in the second half we should have put away - in this case it didn't matter but against a better team that will hurt us. Pleased Sam Long got a goal, he's a local boy who has been loyal to the club and has always done whatever is asked of him even though he's not a first team regular. I think this is probably the best team to watch that I can remember, regardless of whether we stay in the play offs or not, after 2 pretty crap seasons I'm just enjoying watching it whilst it lasts.

8 hours ago, Chawkso said:

I suppose the question is who do you want to replace him? As sometimes these things don't end up improving the situation. Why have things changed so much this season? Have to admit I didn't keep track of all the comings and goings in L1 so was recruitment the issue? I know you signed Marquis but wasn't sure who had left (as presumably he cost a few quid!).

Honestly, I'm not sure who is available who would be a genuine improvement. So, that is a valid point you make. In an ideal world, I would agree that managers should be given time to try and turn things around. The problem is, he has lost the support of the fans, which has a rebound affect on the players when they're out there trying to perform. So he's got his work cut out trying to turn things around.

We sold out best player - Matt Clarke to Brighton for about £2 million. And he isn't even on the bench for them as they already have a glut of decent centre halves. The result is that our defence has looked a lot weaker as the new players have struggled to gel. Marquis has done pretty well considering, and he's starting to find his feet and score goals. So there are things to be positive about but, at the moment we're just badly under performing and it's frustrating watching such a talented squad of players look so lost at times.

4 hours ago, Coltrane said:

Honestly, I'm not sure who is available who would be a genuine improvement. So, that is a valid point you make. In an ideal world, I would agree that managers should be given time to try and turn things around. The problem is, he has lost the support of the fans, which has a rebound affect on the players when they're out there trying to perform. So he's got his work cut out trying to turn things around.

We sold out best player - Matt Clarke to Brighton for about £2 million. And he isn't even on the bench for them as they already have a glut of decent centre halves. The result is that our defence has looked a lot weaker as the new players have struggled to gel. Marquis has done pretty well considering, and he's starting to find his feet and score goals. So there are things to be positive about but, at the moment we're just badly under performing and it's frustrating watching such a talented squad of players look so lost at times.

Guess it comes down to whether the players still have confidence in him.

When we went through a ropey patch, well a ropey season really, it was noticeable that the players stood by the manager even though fans were wanting him out. Things have turned around now but it's taken a long time. But with our previous manager it was obvious that players had lost confidence in him and there wasn't really any coming back from that. The whole atmosphere got toxic and it just wasn't a good place to be for anyone.

This season is in never ending mini loop of hope rays coming through the window and having the blinds pulled down on them. Whenever Wrexham show signs of picking up and getting back to full strength we go and put in a shit (sounding) performance and key players get injured. Against Dagenham and Redbridge on saturday star striker who has barely played Hooper went off to add to key defender Pearson out with hamstring issues. We've now got Torquay away tonight and presumably another defeat before probably a better performance on Saturday against high flying Bromley which will end in no more than a  draw.

Good to hear Rochdale are poor . Our FA Cup game against them has been moved to Sunday though for that multiple cameras at games thing on the BBC so I can't make it or watch it now which is an arse.

I need to dig out a clip of that old Elvis Costello track "hand in hand".  Wrexham and Sutton are in perfect lock step as we both dwell at the bottom of the table, though we have the theoretical possibility of 3 points from our game in hand away at Fylde (but they are still in all the cups).  We lost again 0-1 to FC Halifax tonight but to be honest I can't believe a neutral would discern a height of the table difference between the two sides.  There weren't many chances, we hit the bar, we can't afford to replace our RB and our club captain is injured, but surely some luck, some flukey in-off-the-backside goal, a rash challenge from the opposition, something will go our way soon. 

Beat Sunderland on penalties last night to make it through to the quarter finals of the League cup for the first time in almost 30 years. In truth I didn't think we played very well, first half was quite even, second half we wasted some good chances that I thought would come back to haunt us. Last 20 minutes or so we were on the ropes and it was obvious that some players had completely run out of steam - I have no idea why Robinson left it so late to get them off and get some fresh legs on, but inevitably they scored, and it was obvious that it was coming for some time. Not a vintage performance in any way, and I thought some of our players played really poorly based on what I know they can do - Baptiste especially was incredibly wasteful, passes to nowhere, and a couple of suicide passes for good measure. But it was nice to have an off day and get away with it for once. Sunderland will feel hard done by, but they had enough chances to win it in normal time so it didn't go to pens and their finishing was woeful.

I hate watching penalty shoot outs anyway, but in person it's just horrific. I didn't need to worry though as we scored all of ours and Sunderland missed one (Will Grigg - who I think cost them a few quid last season) and had one saved (McNulty). Cue the place going beserk after their last pen was saved.

A chilly night in our soulless breeze block of a stadium, but one I'll definitely remember.