rllmuk
neoELITE

EFL League 1, League 2, National League and Beyond 2019/20 Season

My Team Will....  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here we are again for another enthralling season of supporting England's finest lower league clubs. From Carlisle to Plymouth Argyle, lower league clubs are everywhere.

Some links below and, as usual, I'll make a list of the posters and who they support. I've already tagged the usual suspects.

EFL website https://www.efl.com/

Non-League Football Paper https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.com/non-league-tables/

@neoELITE - Plymouth Argyle

@Fatsam - Wrexham

@Cosmic_Guru - Sutton United

@El Pibe - Exeter City

@Coltrane - Portsmouth

@Danster - Bristol Rovers

@carleton - Bury

@chawkso - Oxford United

@merman - Ipswich Town

@wullie - Coventry City

@afromb - Coventry City

@billy brown - Crewe

@spleen - Portsmouth

• Upvote 2

I support Wrexham and we're going to be promoted this year.

As one the two highest placed teams who didn't go up we're also in that Scottish Challenge Cup Sutton were in last season. Draw TNS and we'll get the bizarre scenario of a Welsh team representing an English League playing an English team representing a Welsh League in a Scottish football competition :lol:

• Upvote 3

I support Sutton Utd and anticipate a mid table finish in the National League, but it could easily be more of a struggle than that given the increasing professionalism at this level.  It will also be the first season for ages without Paul Doswell around, so could be interesting in terms of a fresh perspective.  I hope we make some inspired signings, continue to blood academy players, and have better luck on the injury front.  A system of play to our strengths would be good.  As would getting rid of the annual late season embarrassment of making a relegated team look really good at the Lane.  A decent run in the FAT should be a priority target (we always seem to draw a high flying National Team North side and go out limply to them).

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, El Pibe said:

Bring on the derbies!

When I was a kid, we never really played you. Since I hit my mid 30s, it's happened far too many times for my liking. 

I think you'll probably do OK again and be in the top ten. 

Apparently, we've signed someone. Dom Telford from Bury - no idea.

Freddie Lapado scored a few goals last season and is looking likely to leave us for £500k or thereabouts. Portsmouth and Sunderland and possibly Brentford are interested.

Graham Carey has gone though - signed for CSKA Sofia - a bit different than League 2 as they're in the Europa League next year.  Basically, all of our best players are gone or are going. Looking at the fixture list today was quite depressing to be fair considering the season before last, we missed out on the play offs to go up to the Championship.  

One to watch for us if he gets a start is our young keeper Mike Cooper who is being tipped for big things.  I've not seen much of him but there has been a buzz about him for years.

I may pay a bit more attention this season. Maybe... I suppose if we do anything better than flirt with relegation then I'd be happy.

22 minutes ago, Danster said:

I may pay a bit more attention this season. Maybe... I suppose if we do anything better than flirt with relegation then I'd be happy.

I thought we might just get Graham Coughlan in as manager but he stayed loyal to Rovers. If he ends up being as good a manager as he was a player, you'll do very well. I knew him a little when he played for us as he lived up the road from me and drank in my local - he's a nice enough fella (when sober). 

Bury supporter, don’t think we’ll be able to start the season. That’ll be success in itself and there’s no way we won’t be relegated.

Dom Telford was a good striker for us last season but scored most in the Checkatrade. He looks like Peter Dinklage and isn’t much taller.

• Upvote 2

So our best player - Matt Clarke has signed for Brighton. It was always on the cards that he would leave as he's just too good for this level. I think he's at least a championship level player but the Premier League will be a real step up for him.

Anyway, good luck to him. He's a great guy and you can't blame him for wanting to further his career and play at the highest level.

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2019/june/clarke-signs-for-brighton/

I'm pleased we signed him and it's gutting for Portsmouth but we now have 5 first team centre backs and although Lewis Dunk will probably be going to Leicester, it feels a bit over the top when we need goal scorers. Seems a shame to deprive Portsmouth of his services if he's going to end up being an option rather than a regular first team player. I hope we'll see a lot of him, though.

I'll stop polluting this thread with non EFL chat.

Ipswich supporter, but last season tested that to the limit...

We have got a lot of great young players, will probably sell Knudsen and Bartowski, fully expecting us to make the playoffs...

Oxford United supporter back for another season. Didn't get round to updating last season's thread as the end of our season just sort of petered out, but given we spent most of the season in and around the relegation spots I guess 12th would be considered a good result in the end.

I'm hoping for a more relaxed season than last year and hopefully we've learned lessons from the disastrous recruitment last summer which meant we didn't start looking like a coherent team until mid October. Recruitment has been pretty quiet so far, we've picked up a Spanish midfielder from Motherwell and a couple of youth prospects.

Nelson looks like he's leaving for Cardiff and good on him, a great player who behaved like a true professional until the end - unlike a few of our other players in recent memory who started playing silly games to force a move. He will be very difficult to replace, but it's been on the cards all season so hopefully we started looking early.

If we can carry on playing as we were at the end of the season I think we'll be comfortably mid table with a possible sniff of the play offs, but as we found last season things can turn sour very quickly!

Good luck to everyone, thoroughly enjoyed reading people's insights into their clubs last year.

• Upvote 1

Cov have signed a large amount of players early on so the St Andrew's debacle doesn't seem to be causing too much havoc to the squad side of things, but it's all paling into insignificance when there seems no obvious route of returning to the city.

On the plus side, we've confirmed five years of bespoke Hummel kits and word is that we're getting an update of our 80s Denmark special so every cloud

We just sold our striker Freddie Ladapo for £500k. We picked him up free from Southend last Summer. Rotherham might regret that. He scored 18 last season but it's good business for us. There are add ons to that too. It was *undisclosed" but someone at the club let it slip that it was Rotherham's record fee.

We signed Danny Mayor yesterday. He was in the League 2 team of the year last season. A good signing to replace Graham Carey. We thought he'd go to Tranmere or Ipswich. 

Going to the Bristol Rovers friendly later this month.

Danny Mayor is an excellent player. Struggled in league one but that was probably due to injury and the manager. We had 6 players at training yesterday but they couldn't play as there was no coach and insurance. We've appointed a manager from Truro though which seems to point to us trying to start the season at least.

1 hour ago, carleton said:

Danny Mayor is an excellent player. Struggled in league one but that was probably due to injury and the manager. We had 6 players at training yesterday but they couldn't play as there was no coach and insurance. We've appointed a manager from Truro though which seems to point to us trying to start the season at least.

We announced Will Aimson today. Are we Bury in disguise?

You've only took Lowe, Schuey, the fitness bloke, Mayor and Aimson. Why would you say that? ;)

Didn't you think Telford was going to rock up as well?

19 minutes ago, carleton said:

You've only took Lowe, Schuey, the fitness bloke, Mayor and Aimson. Why would you say that? ;)

Didn't you think Telford was going to rock up as well?

Rumours are it'll be announced tomorrow. We missed out on Nicky Maynard who went to Mansfield and Jay O'Shea who went to Australia. Rumours are we're also in for Adam Thompson.

I'd have taken Thomson over Aimson so perhaps it's both you're getting. I think Thomson may still be under contract so perhaps that's the delay there. Same with Telford. We had an impressive team last season, finishing second without being paid. Looks like the same team will be gracing league 2 again. Perhaps they can go one better this season.

I signed today. 4 year contract on £125,000 a week with a cramp bonus.

IMG_20190703_154148_resized_20190703_054831112.thumb.jpg.dbfe35fbf23cba48c2fbc02f8f0643c2.jpg

Not really! Just printed some extra wide pull up banners at work today for my beloved club. We do a few bits and bobs for them these days. I'm hoping to see Lionel Messi in front of one of these next Tuesday.

• Upvote 4

Our fans have reacted positively to our signings so far. JJ Hooper scored loads in the second half of last season for Bromley and creative midfielder Devante Redmond had a good one for Salford, plus he's the son of ex Wrexham promotion winner Paul Edwards. We've also got a Cardiff under 21 winger on a season loan who Newport fans seem to rate and a man who draws pictures of Mario. I've given up predicting how new signings get on, but they sound like an alright bunch and they're all over 6 foot which is always useful.

Then we signed defensive midfielder Adam Barton yesterday on a two year deal who I'd not heard of before, but had a recent bad period up in Scotland and is apparently a massive dick according to Dundee United fans. So yeah, predictably, our forum erupted in a mass of negativity spew. He was Partick Thistle player of the season two years ago in the Scottish Premiership so surely he can't be that bad. And he's played quite a few games in the football league for Preston, Coventry, and Portsmouth, which suggests he must have some kind of ability. Is he alright wullie and  Coltrane?

On 03/07/2019 at 20:18, neoELITE said:

I signed today. 4 year contract on £125,000 a week with a cramp bonus.

IMG_20190703_154148_resized_20190703_054831112.thumb.jpg.dbfe35fbf23cba48c2fbc02f8f0643c2.jpg

Not really! Just printed some extra wide pull up banners at work today for my beloved club. We do a few bits and bobs for them these days. I'm hoping to see Lionel Messi in front of one of these next Tuesday.

Fucking Ginsters.

I'm surprised we haven't been sponsored by whoever sponsored Bury last year and changed our name to Bury Argyle. Telford and McFazdean have arrived now. 

On 16/07/2019 at 07:27, neoELITE said:

I'm surprised we haven't been sponsored by whoever sponsored Bury last year and changed our name to Bury Argyle. Telford and McFazdean have arrived now. 

Can you take some of our debts and our chairman instead? If we don't have a team this season expect a few ex-Shakers in the away ends in the North West watching Argyle.

And just for you:

The Times today has a feature on clubs in big financial difficulty - Bury (4 registered players), Notts County (no strip), Bolton (players not paid for 20 weeks), players paid late at half a dozen other clubs.....  puts things into perspective.  

The National League is off to it's customary sprint start next Saturday and after the first weekend we then have home league fixtures 4 successive Saturdays in August, which implies other clubs have 4 successive Saturday away games.  Nasty if work or other commitments intervene, or if you have young kids although I suppose during the school holiday its not such an issue.

Going to the Plymouth Argyle Vs Bristol Rovers game today. I don't care about the result as it's a friendly. I just want to see some goals and our new press/play from the back tactics.

We signed Jose Baxter in midweek.