rllmuk
Mike1812

EFL Championship 2019/2020

13 minutes ago, Mugman said:

Jesus Christ Fulham looked good tonight. God I've missed the Championship. it's absolutely the best league in the world. 

They really did. We barely got a touch of the ball. Couldn’t even get near them. Nailed on to be up there if they can maintain it.

11 hours ago, Rsdio said:

I couldn't help but wonder if, having had two of their youth coaches nicked by English clubs, Dortmund decided to prank the next one to come along.

Haha, that had me in stitches!

Good luck to your lot this season!

There are some really good teams in the Championship this season and many of them play really attractive football.

I watched West Brom v Reading last night and both teams looked really good and the quality of the football was very high.

Both teams should be in the mix for promotion, especially Reading once they start to gel, as they almost have a brand new team this season.

Can't find anything which beats Fulham last night. Manchester City got 83% when they beat Swansea 5-0 a couple of seasons back but that's the highest Opta tracked stat I could find. 

I thought Leeds having 70% was good! Apart from the wobbly start, they look very good. 

Swansea, West Bromwich and Wednesday all looking decent so far too. 

• Upvote 1

I'm going to make a fortune betting on Cardiff this season.

Away games - bet on opposition to score 3 and miss a penalty.

Home games - bet on 2-1 and also an in-play bet to win when its 1-1 with 5 minutes to go.

Deserved to win last night with Huddersfield at times looking clueless and low on confidence, but at other times we let them play or gave them the ball or failed to deal with them as we have no real pace.

Lee Tomlin returned after not playing for us for 18 months and had half the crowd swooning over his obvious vision and talent while the other half (like me) appreciated he has got skill and talent, but he still apears to be the fat, bottling poser who is unfit and while the odd non look pass is nice to see - he shouldn't keep doing them over and over again.

• Upvote 1

Frustrating game, that. They basically blocked everything we (Fulham) threw at them and timewasted like bastards. 

Its a shame, they were really solid defensively but spent the whole game on the floor. Hopefully we’ll learn from it and crack on. 

16 minutes ago, Mugman said:

Frustrating game, that. They basically blocked everything we (Fulham) threw at them and timewasted like bastards. 

Its a shame, they were really solid defensively but spent the whole game on the floor. Hopefully we’ll learn from it and crack on. 

Your visit to us will be interesting next Friday. Assume Reid can’t play.

Two years ago you battered us 4-2, last year we battered you 4-2. 

So 0-0

15 hours ago, Mugman said:

They did the same to Leeds when we drew a couple of weeks ago. We dominated and they got a lucky goal. 

12 hours ago, Nifta said:

Swansea fan here, and I'm starting to get done optimism for the season. That'll be the kiss of death then!

I am perfectly fine with us finishing 7th. I hated the Prem after Laudrup left. Its way more fun in the Championship with a young team. The EPL isnt worth the long term financial hardship and footballing mercenaries that come with it.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Herbalizer said:

I am perfectly fine with us finishing 7th. I hated the Prem after Laudrup left. Its way more fun in the Championship with a young team. The EPL isnt worth the long term financial hardship and footballing mercenaries that come with it.

Monk's full season was quite an enjoyable ride I thought! Highest ever league position! But, yeah, the football took a nose dive after Laudrup left.

Heh, that was us under Wagner in the Championship. We rarely made our domination pay and it always felt like the other team scored with practically every shot on goal.

Feels like a lifetime ago now. I'm looking forward to the trip to Salford City next year though!

He didn't want to drop down to the Championship basically, he'd been about as poor as everyone else recently anyway so not much point keeping him here if he wasn't fully committed especially given he was probably our highest earner. We'd also apparently fucked up with his contract so he would've been well within his rights to run it down and left for free next summer if he'd felt like it.

It's an imperfect compromise but it does make sense in context, he gets to stay in the Premier League in the short term (though I'm not sure he's even started yet as he's probably about as unfit as the rest of our players have looked all season) but also signed a new contract so we won't eventually lose him for nothing.

Knowing you'd be losing the guy who's been the heartbeat of your team for years and not bothering to replace him ahead of time however.. That goes in with all the other terrible decisions from the board down for the past few years. Who would've thought avoiding spending any money to freshen up a squad of players who've had their confidence dismantled for the last 18 months might not be the best approach?

Even Schindler looks like a lower league clogger now, he was an absolute mountain in our first Premier League season and held the defence together on his own.

23 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

It's so frustrating watching Leeds. They should be scoring 3 or 4 in games like this. 

I know there's Financial Fair Play rules, I know money is a bit tight, but surely we could have found some way to bankroll a proven goalscorer at this level? Poor finishing cost us promotion last season. 

What's the loan market like? Fulham went up with Mitrovic on loan from Newcastle and Villa did the same with Tammy Abraham.  Dunno who is sitting on the bench at a Premier League club this season but surely there was someone who could do a job in the Championship? 

56 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

What's the loan market like? Fulham went up with Mitrovic on loan from Newcastle and Villa did the same with Tammy Abraham.  Dunno who is sitting on the bench at a Premier League club this season but surely there was someone who could do a job in the Championship? 

Very competitive. This article from The Athletic is interesting regarding Leeds signing of Eddie Nketiah from Arsenal. 

https://theathletic.com/1132425/2019/08/15/clubs-had-to-make-dragons-den-style-presentations-to-arsenal-to-try-to-sign-nketiah-on-loan/

Also, due to the late need for a striker when Roofe left, Leeds have the odd problem of having 6 players on loan but only being able to name 5 in the match day squad. So Jack Clarke is playing for the u23s. 

Not sure what to make of Birmingham's start. 

We've literally not played well in any game but were on a decent points total. We've been hammered three nil away from home a couple of times in games where it could have been far worse. Not sure about this new style of football which were supposed to be playing, I don't see an awful lot of change. 

Thank God for the Juke. Three goals at home already this season. 

Oh and a quick word on Jude Bellingham, 16 year old who broke our record for youngest ever score and it happened to be the winner.

Stoke are poor, and they happened to be better than us on the day! They just collapsed as soon as we put a bit of pressure on.

2 hours ago, Elseb said:

Not sure what to make of Birmingham's start. 

We've literally not played well in any game but were on a decent points total. We've been hammered three nil away from home a couple of times in games where it could have been far worse. Not sure about this new style of football which were supposed to be playing, I don't see an awful lot of change. 

Thank God for the Juke. Three goals at home already this season. 

Oh and a quick word on Jude Bellingham, 16 year old who broke our record for youngest ever score and it happened to be the winner.

Stoke are poor, and they happened to be better than us on the day! They just collapsed as soon as we put a bit of pressure on.

What bugs the hell outta me is you can see the bags of talent we just aren't getting it right in terms of tactics and on the managerial side of things.

When thing's click, they really click.

I just think that most times Clotet is too afraid to go out for the win and is trying to shut up shop first and foremost and maybe nick the odd goal. If you look at our wins they have been when the crowd have really gotten behind the team or when we have gone a goal down at home and thus had nothing to lose. The big losses again have been because we have gone into games with 5 at the back and left our strikers completely isolated.

We need to be looking to start Crowley as the few times he has played he has been immense on the attacking side of things and it was great for Bellingham. You could see what it meant to him when he darted over to our fans to celebrate. To think he's been with us since he was 7 and has had a chance to earn some experience so young.

I'd love him to be our next big thing but sadly we know what our club's like and he'll be gone as soon as there is a decent offer :(

4 hours ago, Luseth said:

What bugs the hell outta me is you can see the bags of talent we just aren't getting it right in terms of tactics and on the managerial side of things.

When thing's click, they really click.

I just think that most times Clotet is too afraid to go out for the win and is trying to shut up shop first and foremost and maybe nick the odd goal. If you look at our wins they have been when the crowd have really gotten behind the team or when we have gone a goal down at home and thus had nothing to lose. The big losses again have been because we have gone into games with 5 at the back and left our strikers completely isolated.

We need to be looking to start Crowley as the few times he has played he has been immense on the attacking side of things and it was great for Bellingham. You could see what it meant to him when he darted over to our fans to celebrate. To think he's been with us since he was 7 and has had a chance to earn some experience so young.

I'd love him to be our next big thing but sadly we know what our club's like and he'll be gone as soon as there is a decent offer :(

It's always the risk though when you put a young player in the starting 11, bigger clubs start taking note. He's not ready to be starting week in, week out. He obviously need a to bulk up a bit as well but he is 16 haha, can't really have a go at the lad! 

I'm still not convinced Clotet will be manager for much longer, will be surprised if he's in charge after new year. Once again we will be back to square one but that's just how things are now at the club. The owners obviously want to move the club forward and are willing to put money towards doing so but they don't seem to understand much about football and how important being patient and having a plan from the top of the club to the bottom is. I always feel that for every good decision they make, there are three awful ones waiting. 

• Empathy 1