rllmuk
Mike1812

EFL Championship 2019/2020

The club is ran very well by the owners. They always make profit on their players but it doesn't seem to affect the team position mucb. I think I read somewhere that the chairman tells new managers beforehand that they have to continue the style of football which they played since Warburton. 

Just after Pontus, I think :lol:

I think people read too much into this stuff, I remember people claiming Hazard must be staying at Chelsea because he was in the new kit promo shots. 

Villa confirm the signing of Ezri Konsa from Brentford so presumably Pontus was a replacement once they knew Ezri was off.   Dunno a lot about him other than he's been highly rated for a while now, obviously untested in the Premier League but he seems statistically identical (or as near as is possible) to Axel Tuanzebe who did so well for us on loan last season.  I'm optimistic. 

Konsa is a superb signing IMO - we were rumoured to be after him earlier this summer and I'd have liked to have seen him at Molineux challenging Ryan Bennett.

• Upvote 1

I'll really pleased with it. Obviously he's worked with Smith before, his last picture on Instagram was of himself on holiday with Tammy Abraham so I wonder if this deal has been lined up for weeks.  

@Naysonymousit's ok, you can post in the main football thread now.  Villa did get promoted, you didn't dream it :)

Villa will be a really interesting team this season.  At the moment I can see them just staying up, around 16th place.  I think Newcastle and Brighton are in trouble, and along with Sheffield United and Norwich I think there are enough teams worse than Villa to keep you up.

Having said that, I'm not sure if you have many goals in the team, and it's probably a good thing you've signed three defenders this summer.

• Upvote 1

Nobody gives a shit in the main football thread unless you talk about how great the atmosphere is at Anfield on a European night or are complaining about how crap it is to be an Arsenal fan again.  Obviously I'll post something smug in there when we are six points clear at the top on Christmas Day but I figured more people would know about Konsa in this thread.  

Goals are a concern. It's all on Wesley I think. Grealish and McGinn might get four or five each, El Ghazi might get a similar number and while Hourihane is evil from set pieces he's the player I'm most concerned with his ability to step up. We were quite tight at the back towards the end of the season, I think only Norwich scored more than once past us in a game since February and that was a a last minute strike from outside the box in a dead rubber against our reserves on the final day.   

I do think we need a good start. This season is all about survival, if we do stay up and establish ourselves then I suspect the team will look very different in two years.  

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

25 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Nobody gives a shit in the main football thread unless you talk about how great the atmosphere is at Anfield on a European night or are complaining about how crap it is to be an Arsenal fan again.  Obviously I'll post something smug in there when we are six points clear at the top on Christmas Day but I figured more people would know about Konsa in this thread.  

Goals are a concern. It's all on Wesley I think. Grealish and McGinn might get four or five each, El Ghazi might get a similar number and while Hourihane is evil from set pieces he's the player I'm most concerned with his ability to step up. We were quite tight at the back towards the end of the season, I think only Norwich scored more than once past us in a game since February and that was a a last minute strike from outside the box in a dead rubber against our reserves on the final day.   

I do think we need a good start. This season is all about survival, if we do stay up and establish ourselves then I suspect the team will look very different in two years.  

What we saw last season was that it took our forwards a really long time to get up to speed.  Jiminez started slowly, and he made a dreadful miss in the fourth game away to West Ham.  Jota had an unbelivable season but he didn't really get started until December / January (Portugese players aren't any good until it gets cold).

So you might see this at Villa, especially for the new Striker, he might have trouble to begin with but still have a good season overall.  How many goals would you want from him I wonder?  Ten seems like a reasonable amount to expect.  It'll be interesting to see how Abraham gets on.

PS - I give a shit xx

I really don't know about Wesley at all. Double figures would be great but he's such an unknown quantity that anything I say would be a pure guess.  I suspect we will be fit, organised, difficult to break down and strong from set pieces to begin with.  We press but only in our own half, it seems to be all about cutting off passing lanes in the opposition half. I think getting a full pre season in is hugely important this year as we need to hit the ground running. Waiting for last minute deals might give you better individuals or bargain prices but it might mean throwing away a couple of months of the season while the team gels.  

• Upvote 1

Reports have said Steve Bruce seen living HIllsborough to make his way to Newcastle for talks. I know he is not the most popular on here but he really turned our club around in the few months he as been here and it would massively disrupt our season preparations if he was to go. The only light at the end of the tunnel is our chairman is tight and wont let him go for anything less than a few million. 

Dunno if he wants to return to the north east. He’s been away a long time and he lost both of his parents in 2018 (apparently he was driving to Newcastle almost every day in 2017/18 when his parents were ill) so maybe the call of his hometown is just too powerful.  

Bruce is a very good championship manager, average PL manager.

Any manager going in after Benitez is going to find it very difficult, it's not worth leaving Wednesday in my view. 

I'm not a massive fan of Bruce, so really I shouldn't be that bothered about him going. And the mooted £5m we'd get is pretty nice. But he's great at this level, the club definitely benefits from his nous and the fact we finally felt like we had some stability again for the first time since the play-offs against Huddersfield is good, so there are reasons to be keeping him.

But for some reason it's really pissed me off that he's gone off to listen to them. He might have a bit of arrogance, but I'm sure he's not putting himself on the same level as someone that has won the Champions League and managed Real Madrid and Benitez needed every single bit of his management ability to keep Newcastle in the Premier League. Since then they've got rid of arguably their best player in Perez, another takeover deal has gone and made it very clear that a deal is very unlikely to ever happen. They're a complete mess, none of their fans want him to replace Benitez and Mike Ashley is one of the worst chairmen on the planet. Whereas Wednesday have a lovely but slightly clueless chairman and an entirely comparable history to Newcastle. Bruce knows all that and he's still interested enough to go and listen to them then fuck him. Cunt.

/rant

• Upvote 2

I guess it could be a case of it not mattering how shit they do because Ashley will get the blame anyway and if he can keep them up, he's done a good job. 

25 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

I guess it could be a case of it not mattering how shit they do because Ashley will get the blame anyway and if he can keep them up, he's done a good job. 

Nah, he'd absolutely get the blame. Newcastle fans will say they could have got non-specific-other-manager if it wasn't for him and his reputation of not being able to cope in the Premier League will be even more entrenched. 

If he does much better than Benitez has done he'll look good, sure. But he's not going to, is he?

It’s actually going to happen as well. He’s confirmed he’s spoken with them and that there will be news over the next couple of days.

All of twitter is just an alternating pattern of Wednesday and Newcastle fans saying how much they hate Steve Bruce. It’s quite impressive.

I am genuinely gutted he has gone. Just hope we get the right person in. Happy for Lee Bullen to take over as caretaker for short or long term. Madness. Bruce ain’t got a chance at Newcastle. He’ll get no respect from the players, no help from Ashley, the fans hate him and if he sells the club he will get the boot anyway.

For people who don't really get why Wednesday fans are so annoyed he's going, it is partly that the club needed someone who knows how the behind-the-scenes aspects of football works. He definitely brought that. And it was a relief getting someone in who understood the Championship too, because Jos Luhukay didn't have a clue what it was like. (And openly admitted it, too.) He made silly mistakes, fully stupid decisions. All the basics he got wrong. It was bad.

So that side of it made Bruce seem a good choice. But immediately after Jos was fired, Lee Bullen came in and went properly back to basics and got us some very-much-appreciated points on the board. Wins! Imagine. Then we agreed a contract with Bruce, and because our Chairman is lovely allowed Bruce a month off to have a couple of non-critical operations and go and watch cricket in the Carribbean, just because he'd had a rough year. We made do with his assistants, who didn't really set the world alight and he just turned up at the end of the transfer window, panic signed a couple of players on loan from (cough) Newcastle. All of the January window being spent working on deals rather than on holiday would almost certainly have been better for us, but yeah, our chairman was nice.

And now he's done this. What a cunt. Fuck Steve Bruce. I hope he's the first manager to get fired next season. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Surely you have to be mentally preparing for this from the second you appoint him though. He's had a reputation for jumping ship as soon as a better offer comes along for twenty years.

He still gets a fair amount of hatred in Huddersfield for his part in initiating the downfall of the club in the early 2000s. I remember it going down especially well when he took time off in the middle of a season where we were struggling to fly to the other side of the world and do punditry on a Man Utd World Club Cup game.

• Upvote 1

The usual suspect list of managers is now trotted out.

Gianfranco Zola – 9/2
Martin Jol – 8/1
Daniel Stendel – 8/1
Garry Monk – 10/1
David Moyes – 12/1
Gary Rowett – 12/1
Lee Bullen – 12/1
Nigel Pearson – 12/1
Aitor Karanka – 16/1
Tony Pulis – 16/1
Claude Puel – 16/1
Nigel Adkins – 18/1
Giovanni van Bronckhorst – 18/1
Alan Pardew – 18/1

I would like us to take a gamble on the manager of Lincoln whose name I have forgotten.

51 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

Surely you have to be mentally preparing for this from the second you appoint him though. He's had a reputation for jumping ship as soon as a better offer comes along for twenty years.

He still gets a fair amount of hatred in Huddersfield for his part in initiating the downfall of the club in the early 2000s. I remember it going down especially well when he took time off in the middle of a season where we were struggling to fly to the other side of the world and do punditry on a Man Utd World Club Cup game.

These things are relative. Yes, he'd jump ship at a great opportunity, but recently he hasn't got much of a reputation for leaving quickly. He's stayed with teams for at least a couple of seasons, the chances he'd go after 18 games seems unlikely. And there really aren't many better jobs available to him. He was almost certainly the highest paid manager in the Championship because he'd be better at negotiating than Chansiri is and he's definitely happy to pay a manager good money, so it's very unlikely he'd get a better offer in the Championship, and nobody but a complete mental would offer him a Premier League job, he just can't manage at that level. 

I am now aware that I disregarded the fact there is a complete mental who would offer him a Premier League job.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Kieran said:

The usual suspect list of managers is now trotted out.

Gianfranco Zola – 9/2
Martin Jol – 8/1
Daniel Stendel – 8/1
Garry Monk – 10/1
David Moyes – 12/1
Gary Rowett – 12/1
Lee Bullen – 12/1
Nigel Pearson – 12/1
Aitor Karanka – 16/1
Tony Pulis – 16/1
Claude Puel – 16/1
Nigel Adkins – 18/1
Giovanni van Bronckhorst – 18/1
Alan Pardew – 18/1

I would like us to take a gamble on the manager of Lincoln whose name I have forgotten.

I don't think we can get away with an up and coming because there's just not the support in the club. Luhukay was a bit of a tit, but he needed to be brought up to speed about the Championship and it just didn't happen, so I don't see why it would now. 

I was happy with Chris Hughton, but it seems he might have ruled himself out. I don't really know where you go from there. Not an easy one at all.

On 13/07/2019 at 19:09, Rev said:

All of twitter is just an alternating pattern of Wednesday and Newcastle fans saying how much they hate Steve Bruce. It’s quite impressive.

Bruce is on a surprisingly high 10%. 

• Upvote 2

Bruce has gone to Newcastle...Clearly without anything being paid so now it’s probably going to court. Fun.

C61D2618-CD85-4662-A369-6F208B1EB0AD.thumb.jpeg.578e03567f353d12cb074fa5519988e5.jpeg

• Upvote 2