rllmuk
Mike1812

EFL Championship 2019/2020

Barnsley fan here feeling less and less optimistic by the day after promotion. 

We've already lost both of our centre backs and goalkeeper from last season. Who's next? :angry:

• Empathy 2

Not feeling terribly optimistic as a Swansea fan. New manager just hired with no senior-team management experience, offloading almost the last of our premier league players, little to no chance of any major signings. I think we'll just about survive in the middle of the bottom half of the table but I think there's little to no chance of a promotion. Not too much to get excited by!

5 hours ago, kyletherobot said:

We've already lost both of our centre backs and goalkeeper from last season. Who's next? :angry:

That's awful in what should be a time of joy for you. At least you kept your coach, though! He got you promoted with a half a squad so it'll be interesting to see if he can work more miracles...

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, kyletherobot said:

Not to worry, at some point in the season Sky will have you at home to Manchester United while we're away to Luton.  And the BBC will constantly refer to you as "Premier League club Barnsley".

We might as well merge.

Anyway, best of luck.

• Upvote 1

By the sounds of it there are a lot of clubs in the championship who won't be spending much this summer due to the FFP consequences. I'd imagine QPR will be in the same boat. 

23 minutes ago, Elseb said:

By the sounds of it there are a lot of clubs in the championship who won't be spending much this summer due to the FFP consequences. I'd imagine QPR will be in the same boat. 

Reading have more or less a transfer ban due to FFP, which to be honest after all the shite we have wasted money on over the last few seasons, I think it could be a blessing in disguise.

17 hours ago, kyletherobot said:

Looks like you could be signing Aapo Halme a CB from Leeds. He looked pretty good on the few occasions he played. Didn't get many opportunities though so fairly untested. 

1 hour ago, Elseb said:

Yeah I think Birmingham getting the points deduction has scared the shit out of everyone. I think the only realistic option is loan to buy, if promoted, for the majority of clubs. 

• Upvote 1

Fair play, Leeds - superb :lol:

Please look after him - he's a quality player.  I hope he does well for you.  If he does - see you in the PL next season....

• Upvote 1

I was thinking that, if we don't go up, how will we afford him? I guess they'd be forced to sell other players. 

Great signing though. Now keep hold of Phillips and Pontus!

Good deal for Wolves I think considering he’s been pretty poor for two years, but potentially a fantastic footballer. 

Hope he does well, I’ll be watching with interest. 

Think that's a great signing for Leeds. They're quickly turning into the favourites for Promotion next season. Though of course being Leeds, they'll make a difficult job of it.

Noticed Southampton signed one of our best youngsters today. When will it end. :lol:

15 hours ago, Elseb said:

Think that's a great signing for Leeds. They're quickly turning into the favourites for Promotion next season. Though of course being Leeds, they'll make a difficult job of it.

Noticed Southampton signed one of our best youngsters today. When will it end. :lol:

He's under 17 so didn't have a pro contract so there wasn't all that much we could do to stop them.

22 hours ago, Timmo said:

Such a shit arrangement if they flop.

I think in these instances it’s only ever a loan on paper.  PSG famously  had it when they signed  M’Bappe ‘on loan’ from Monaco before they bought him. It’s a way of getting the money into different accounting periods which can be especially useful if next season the accounts get an extra £100m in TV income.  Leeds are definitely going for it in a big way this season. I can see them hitting the front early and staying there all year. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Leeds are definitely going for it in a big way this season. I can see them hitting the front early and staying there all year. 

I can see Bielsa gone by November after failing to repeat the magic of last season. 

Seriously, this season is going to be miles harder that teams are prepared for us, we ballsed up the last third of last season and I'm absolutely bricking it. 

At least it will be entertaining. I’ve almost certainly said this before but I’ve got a soft spot for Leeds as my daughter was born there so I kinda hope they get promoted. 

I see Reading are rumoured to be offering a contract to Gary Hooper. When fit he is a decent striker, also our first game of the season is against Reading so that adds some interest. I heard Hooper was on 32k a week at Wednesday I bet Reading will be offering a lot less than that.

I've fallen out of love with Boro a little bit (similarly with FIFA too)...

We've gone from a resilient team that was almost always the bridemaid, to something almost unrecognisable within the space of 5 seasons. The appointments of Monk, Pulis and Woodgate underwhelmed me, but I've enjoyed the interviews from Woody so far and surely we can't do worse than giving the academy players a crack. It pains me to hear that Randolph is considered the strongest player in the team, and one of the best keepers' in the league, when he was at fault for almost a dozen gaffs within his first season between the sticks. Which certainly doesn't help when you had a £15m waste of space up leading the line.

I think it's safe to say though that the days of mid-table Premier League medicority are well behind us and, if we're not careful, challenging for the play-offs may soon be a pipe dream as well.

I reckon a top-10 finish with a push for an outside play-off spot, and the emergence of half a dozen promising youngsters knocking at the door of the first team ready for a stronger challenge in 2020/21. I just hope we don't "do a Leeds" and sell all of the potential talent just as a new crop comes through.

• Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Looks like Pontus Jansson will be leaving us very shortly. Shame, he was one of our best last season. 

He will be a loss. What sort of price is he going for?

I understand they want a quick resolution but I just can't see Brentford being a step up for him. 

On the other hand, fantastic signing for Brentford! 

Jansson is gone. Mixed feelings really, was our best defender but clearly didn't get on with Bielsa. Probably for the best overall. 

Please don't sell Phillips. 

I wonder if Brentford are going to have a real crack at promotion this season?  They've been flirting with it for a while and they've got some really good players at the club right now. If they can keep hold of Maupay and Benrahma and don't have an injury crisis then they've only got to find 5-10 points to hit the playoffs.  It's entirely possible, and of course they'll always be able to attract players just because the club is based in London.