EFL Championship 2019/2020

10 hours ago, Waggo said:

Exactly this.  Who knows what can happen once you are a Premier League side (Just ask Leicester fans).  Jeff Bezos for example might suddenly decide he fancies owning a Premier League team, stick a pin in a map & hit Swansea!!!!!!

I should add that during our last EPL visit our club was sold to a consortium of Americans that dont care at all about investing.  Since the day the club was sold i have not spent a penny on the club. I have not attended games, even turning down free tickets.  I have told my son he cant have a replica kit. It is a matter of principle that 1p of my money will not line the pockets of the c*nts that own us.

So considering all that, I dont want us to get promoted so our owners can steal all the money that comes with it whilst they put minimum investment into the squad.

I realised the strange thing about all this is everyone has effectivly 'emigrated to Australia' in terms of supporting their team.

Watching the TV in key promotion games and potential Wembley finals when you'd have been in the ground. It will be interesting post Covid how crowds are impacted in terms of not missing games or planning things around the fixture lists.

I wonder if attitudes will change as not wanting to do something social because it clashed with Barnsley at home (and you've already missed 1 hme game this season) may not seem as important when you've missed a play-off final or promotion winning game because no-one could go?#

As a Fulham fan I'm properly gutted I won't get to be in the ground for the home leg against Cardiff. Moreso than Wembley last time we went up, the home leg against Derby is probably my favourite Fulham experience ever. The atmosphere was amazing, we were at home, started off 1-0 down and the whole place just erupted when we realised we were going to Wembley. It's a shame I won't get to experience that this time. Coupled with the fact I think we've got where we are on having a championship squad that knows how to grind out games, and outside of Mitrovic and Harrison Reed (who we don't own) I'm not sure there's a Premier League standard player in the squad. 

Still, the playoffs are exciting, especially given we could meet Brentford in the final if things go well... 

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Plissken said:

I think it is something like

40%
25%
20%
15%

for the four places. It does correlate to finishing position.

Unsurprisingly, talking out of my arse.  In my defence, I was using some slightly outdated numbers from memory because there are some weird recent quirks.  For example, the winners out of League Two since 2009 were 7th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 4th, 5th, 7th, 7th, 6th, 6th and 7th respectively, whereas in the Championship it has gone 5, 6, 3, 3, 5, 4, 3, 4, 5, 3, 5.  Finishing 4th in the Championship looks like the place not to be - tending to lose in finals.

Having said that, the numbers are roughly where you would expect them to be.  The highest playoff team tends to get promoted if they aren't knocked out by the team that snuck in in last place, presumably on a run of form.  4th and 5th tend to finish close in the league so they are probably evenly matched but have a habit of either getting beaten by the better team or running into that form side in the final.

I think that these are the numbers - it is pretty difficult to find!  All mistakes my own.

playoffstats.jpg.e2e3ceb5a88c0e4a1f1e519051a3541c.jpg

I've been reading some great little quirks at the other end of the table, like none of the bottom five with three weeks to go getting relegated. Barnsley were in the relegation zone from 15th September until the 91st minute on the last day, while Charlton were in the bottom three for a total of a 'week' (which actually lasted three months) and went down.

Wycombe (sort of) finished 8th in League 1 and will spend next season a division above a team that (sort of) finished 13th in the Championship.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

As a Fulham fan I'm properly gutted I won't get to be in the ground for the home leg against Cardiff. Moreso than Wembley last time we went up, the home leg against Derby is probably my favourite Fulham experience ever. The atmosphere was amazing, we were at home, started off 1-0 down and the whole place just erupted when we realised we were going to Wembley. It's a shame I won't get to experience that this time. Coupled with the fact I think we've got where we are on having a championship squad that knows how to grind out games, and outside of Mitrovic and Harrison Reed (who we don't own) I'm not sure there's a Premier League standard player in the squad. 

Still, the playoffs are exciting, especially given we could meet Brentford in the final if things go well... 

I’ve never missed a home leg play off game with Cardiff of all the ones the club have ever been involved in (6 over 24 years). Only done a couple of away legs (and also went both times we got to a final), but it’s going to be a streak lost.

My son’s gutted. We had Euro tickets for Wembley (hopefully next year) as well so no first play offs for him to attend or a first trip to London.

• Upvote 1

Carlos Corberan confirmed then.. Seems highly thought of by some pretty big names (Guardiola, Bielsa obviously) but I think most of us remember Bobby Robson talking up the merits of Mick Wadsworth so who knows how that will actually translate. I suppose we knew what we were in for with the Cowleys next season but at least this will mean it's yet another 'interesting' one.

On 23/07/2020 at 16:34, Boothjan said:

Congrats to Albion - the lucky bastards tried their best to fuck it up but it seems that no-one wanted to finish 2nd!!

We certainly stumbled over the line.

Hope someone very shit wins the play offs, or we'll be by some distance the crappest team in the Premier League next season.

Still, I thought that last time we went up, and we ended up staying in it for a long time.

• Upvote 1

My heads all over the place today - I've got play-off anxiety/distraction, but then I remember I can't go to the actual game and the club aren't allowed to let us stream it (as we did with every league game home and away post lockdown for free) becuase Sky have made it exclusive and I dont' want to lay out for a Sky Sports pass for a month, but would for a week pass, but that isn't enough IF we get to the final and its weird watching on telly and what if we get the Jacks in the final and .......................

Interesting triva fact - this is the third time both us and Swansea have been into the play-offs together. Swansea made the final both times (won 1/lost 1). We lost both times in the semis after getting hammered in the second leg.

Overall - we've made the play-offs 6 times before this one in all leagues.

1 Win (Yay)

1 Final Loss (sob ,sob)

4 Semi Final losses (2 expected as we scraped into 6th/2 were a nightmare as 1 we were minutes away and blew it against Stoke and 1 were we had dreams of automatic and then messed it all up in the last couple of games).

Plus - our insane mess up at the last year of Ninian where we needed 2 points from 4 games (and really 1 would have been enough a we had a better goal difference than the chasing pack) and managed to mess it up and finish 7th.

• Upvote 1

I am in a fairly similar boat in my corner of West London. I need to remember how little fun last year was and how nice it is actually seeing your team win every so often. On the other side we'd definitely lose Mitrovic if we stay down and hey, imagine if we weren't as terrible as last year and scraped a draw against Arsenal! It's the stuff dreams are made of! 

Parker has us playing pretty slow, frustrating, possession based football. The plan tonight will be to go one up and control the game from there. Hopefully, hopefully it works. We tend to be a bit shit at defending against good teams that try and play and we can't break down teams if they just sit back so I'm going to guess it might be quite a slog of a game. 

Best of luck @Ork1927, shame neither of us can be at either of the legs! 

Best of luck to you to @BitterToad

I've got no clue how it will play out. If you get and take your chances against us then we may be in trouble. But if you don't, then we will take ours be it late on or due to a mistake.

If Parker has done his homework then the first thing he should be drilling into your boys is don't mess about at the back ever.

We've certainly benefited from lockdown as while we were slowly moving towards the play-offs. Tomlin and Mendez Laing were 'out for the season' and Hoilett was nackered. Now they've all effectivly been reset and Murphy also came to life last week against Boro so we have attacking threat even if we don't have Mitrovic banging them in.

But - its the play-offs so anything could happen - could be 1-0 on aggregrate or some insane 8-8 on aggregate with someone winning 8-7 on penalties.

11 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Injured?

I think so although based on our second half performance maybe they rightly just gave him the night off as they didn’t think they’d him :P

Yeah all in all it was more than I could have wanted from Scott Parker's Fulham. The first half took a while to get going, I'd say Cardiff had the better chances but we got into the game the longer it went on. Then we were pretty unplayable in the second half, with Onomah scoring one of the better Fulham goals I've seen for a while. I'm still incredibly nervous about Thursday, and slightly concerned that Mitro might be out for a bit longer than Parker was suggesting, but we couldn't have hoped for a better start. Now we just need Brentford to lose tomorrow...

It’s the play-offs so who knows, but I just can’t see us coming back Thursday without you completely messing up your tactics, a lot of complacency from your players and us converting every chance we get.

I can’t see us shutting you out and 3 goals just to get to extra time isn’t happening.

Griffin Park's always been one of my favourite ever away days.

Gutted I didn't get to go the last couple of seasons for various reasons.

Nice to see them give it a great final send-off (and against my friends in the West).

Much better than our last game at Ninian :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8001889.stm

And looking at that has just blown my mind as I had no clue that it was Keane's first game in charge for them - I have no recollection of that at all.