EFL Championship 2019/2020

That’s not the rumour that’s going around at the minute but honestly your guess is as good as anyones as to where we will be playing next season. 

Well done to Leeds.  At this point, we’ll done to Brentford as well.  That eight game win streak is something else.   WBA haven’t been great since after Christmas (something like 8 wins in 24) which simply isn’t promotion form.  Watching them yesterday it feels like a bottle job.

Weird subs and a seeming lack of urgency especially near the end of the game.  Not exactly what you want when you needs wins to get automatic promotion.  Huddersfield played well and were difficult to break down.  We only had a small number of chances, despite playing some decent football occasionally.

Even worse, Pereira was supposed to be a full West Brom player right now.  Loan terms were played 20 games and promotion, or played more than 30 games for more than a half.  He’s hit that, but no word on actually securing the transfer.  We are somehow going to bottle that as well and he’s going to end up at Wolves or somewhere just to make us look extra foolish.

Well well well funny thing is pressure, and Brentford are not coping with it too well at the moment.  Are they going to bottle it now it’s in their own hands?

You have to fear for whoever does miss out on the automatic spot, because the pressure will only ramp up from there on in.  How often do we see it (Us last year for starters) that the team that finishes 3rd fall apart once you get to the play-offs?

1 hour ago, Waggo said:

You have to fear for whoever does miss out on the automatic spot, because the pressure will only ramp up from there on in.  How often do we see it (Us last year for starters) that the team that finishes 3rd fall apart once you get to the play-offs?

Don’t worry I’m sure lovely old Cardiff who never ever brutally punish any mistake or indecision under normal circumstances will go easy on the 3rd place team.

Although as it stands - we could finish above Forest so any combination of play off games bar us vs Forest is up for grabs against Brentford, Fulham or West Brom.

I’ll look silly when the Jacks overtake us on the last day now.

Do we have any Hull fans here? They had 39 points on January 1st, now they're on 45. I know they sold Bowen at the end of window but still, how the fuck does that happen? Just an incredible loss of confidence they couldn't ever recover from or is there more to it?

Well yeah, but I mean - why? We had one win in nine months when they arrived and they somehow steadied a club in absolute chaos with a squad made up of broken psyches/total wankers/inexperienced kids.

There were a lot of questions to be answered about them regarding their style of play in a less panic-stricken situation and their shithouse antics didn't feel a great fit for us but they certainly deserved the chance to build something from the wreck they inherited. We paid a fair amount of compensation for them in the first place and as they were supposedly on a fair whack we'll have a lot to pay off too. Either something's gone on behind the scenes or something's about to. Nothing else makes sense really.

I was just coming in here to post. Huddersfield sacking them this close to the end of the season seems like Watford levels of mis-management. 

I know they were well regarded before their move and I'd agree that giving them until part way through next season would have given the club a fairer assessment of their strategy, but giving them the sack now seems ludicrous.

Anyway, Chris Hughton is still available!

37 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

I was just coming in here to post. Huddersfield sacking them this close to the end of the season seems like Watford levels of mis-management. 

I know they were well regarded before their move and I'd agree that giving them until part way through next season would have given the club a fairer assessment of their strategy, but giving them the sack now seems ludicrous.

Anyway, Chris Hughton is still available!

And big Sam, and Mark Hughes :hat:

Funnily enough Carlos Corberan from Leeds was the name immediately being thrown around yesterday and the Leeds chairman seems to have all but confirmed that he's leaving.

No idea what to think about that really, however highly rated he might be by Bielsa he seems as likely to be another Siewert as another Wagner so I'm surprised we're going that route again. If it fails and the Cowleys go on to do well elsewhere our board will have taken the last couple of years worth of incompetence to even more impressive depths. Though if the rumours that they were talking to Bristol City while we were still in the midsts of a relegation battle are true it's a bit more understandable.

Birmingham have sold Jude Bellingham to Borussia Dortmund. Seems they've got somewhere north of £25m for him, which is a pretty good fee in my opinion.  He only celebrated his 17th birthday three weeks ago. The Bluenoses I know seem to think the kid is legit. It's refreshing to see English kids broaden their horizons and hopefully Bellingham gets first team football in Germany.  Hopefully the national team starts seeing the benefit of all of this in the next few tournament cycles. 

End Game

I'm not sure anyone predicted a three way fight for 2nd place on the last day, but that is just one of the stories to be resolved tomorrow in what has to be one of the must unresolved last days in Championship history.

2nd Place - 3 Teams can finish second

Play-Off Places - 4 Teams out of 6 will be in the play-offs, but any of the current 4 teams in the play-off places may be playing their last game of the season tomorrow.

Relegation - Mathematically, no relegation spots have been decided. Throw in Wigan's point probably points deduction and any of the bottom 3 can still stay up. In total, 7 teams could go down (plus Wigan).

Every game bar one is meaningful.

Automatic

West Brom vs QPR and Brentford vs Barnsley and Wigan vs Fulham. West Brom win then they are promoted, but if they draw then or lose then a win for Brentford would gain them promotion if West Brom fail to win. If Brentford draw and West Brom lose then Brenford are promoted unless Fulham win who are promoted instead. If West Brom draw, Brentford fail to win and Fulham draw then Fulham are promoted on goal difference.

Play-Offs

Cardiff vs Hull, Reading vs Swansea and Forest vs Stoke: If Cardiff lose then Swansea win then the Jacks overtake the Bluebirds for the 6th play-off spot. However, Forest could lose out if they lost 3-0 to Stoke and Swansea won 3-0 with Cardiff getting at least a point against Hull then Swansea would finish 6th and Forest 7th. There is a very unlikely scenario where Cardiff lose to Hull, Swansea win and Forest lose very heavily to Stoke where they lose out to both Cardiff and Swansea on goal difference.

Relegation

Cardiff vs Hull, Luton vs Blackburn, Wigan vs Fulham, Sheff W vs Middlesbrough, Leeds vs Charlton, Brentford vs Barnsley, Milwall vs Huddersfield, Birmingham vs Derby. <deep breath>. 

If Wigan don't get deducted 12 points: Hull are doomed unless they beat Cardiff and Barnsley don't win and Luton lose and then Charlton lose and Hull manage to overturn a 16 goal difference swing. So they need to beat Cardiff 8 or 9 nil and Charlton lose 8 or 9 nil. Barnsley have to win to have any chance, but they also need Charlton to lose and Luton to fail to win. A draw for Luton is enough as long as Charlton and Barnsley lose. If Luton win then it gets interesting: A Luton win with Charlton failing to win means they are safe, but if Luton and Charlton win then any one of Middlesborough, Huddersfield and Birmingham could go down if they lose.

If Wigan do get deducted 12 points: M'boro, Huddersfield and Brum can't go down. Hull can escape with a win if Barnsley, Luton and Wigan lose. Barnsley still need a win and other teams to slip up. A Luton win would keep them safe as would a win for Charlton. Wigan would need a win to stay up, but that wouldn't be enough if Luton and Charlton win.

2 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

End Game

I'm not sure anyone predicted a three way fight for 2nd place on the last day, but that is just one of the stories to be resolved tomorrow in what has to be one of the must unresolved last days in Championship history.

2nd Place - 3 Teams can finish second

Play-Off Places - 4 Teams out of 6 will be in the play-offs, but any of the current 4 teams in the play-off places may be playing their last game of the season tomorrow.

Relegation - Mathematically, no relegation spots have been decided. Throw in Wigan's point probably points deduction and any of the bottom 3 can still stay up. In total, 7 teams could go down (plus Wigan).

Every game bar one is meaningful.

Automatic

West Brom vs QPR and Brentford vs Barnsley and Wigan vs Fulham. West Brom win then they are promoted, but if they draw then or lose then a win for Brentford would gain them promotion if West Brom fail to win. If Brentford draw and West Brom lose then Brenford are promoted unless Fulham win who are promoted instead. If West Brom draw, Brentford fail to win and Fulham draw then Fulham are promoted on goal difference.

Play-Offs

Cardiff vs Hull, Reading vs Swansea and Forest vs Stoke: If Cardiff lose then Swansea win then the Jacks overtake the Bluebirds for the 6th play-off spot. However, Forest could lose out if they lost 3-0 to Stoke and Swansea won 3-0 with Cardiff getting at least a point against Hull then Swansea would finish 6th and Forest 7th. There is a very unlikely scenario where Cardiff lose to Hull, Swansea win and Forest lose very heavily to Stoke where they lose out to both Cardiff and Swansea on goal difference.

Relegation

Cardiff vs Hull, Luton vs Blackburn, Wigan vs Fulham, Sheff W vs Middlesbrough, Leeds vs Charlton, Brentford vs Barnsley, Milwall vs Huddersfield, Birmingham vs Derby. <deep breath>. 

If Wigan don't get deducted 12 points: Hull are doomed unless they beat Cardiff and Barnsley don't win and Luton lose and then Charlton lose and Hull manage to overturn a 16 goal difference swing. So they need to beat Cardiff 8 or 9 nil and Charlton lose 8 or 9 nil. Barnsley have to win to have any chance, but they also need Charlton to lose and Luton to fail to win. A draw for Luton is enough as long as Charlton and Barnsley lose. If Luton win then it gets interesting: A Luton win with Charlton failing to win means they are safe, but if Luton and Charlton win then any one of Middlesborough, Huddersfield and Birmingham could go down if they lose.

If Wigan do get deducted 12 points: M'boro, Huddersfield and Brum can't go down. Hull can escape with a win if Barnsley, Luton and Wigan lose. Barnsley still need a win and other teams to slip up. A Luton win would keep them safe as would a win for Charlton. Wigan would need a win to stay up, but that wouldn't be enough if Luton and Charlton win.

I dont want Swansea anywhere near the Premier League again. Its killed the club. Ill take mid table Championship football with the occasion cup run. Premier league brings money and that attracts mercenary players and scumbag owners. 

16 minutes ago, Herbalizer said:

I dont want Swansea anywhere near the Premier League again. Its killed the club. Ill take mid table Championship football with the occasion cup run. Premier league brings money and that attracts mercenary players and scumbag owners. 

I’d we go up I think we will end up doing what Chris Sutton predicted two years ago and do a Derby.

We’d have to spend considerably to strengthen across the pitch. Maybe they’d surprise me, but I think not conceding after being under pressure and then pouncing on mistakes won’t work against better opposition and then like 2 years ago we’d also get taken apart by the big teams.

I think, and now I’ll jinx it, that we are the only team having a nice chilled out evening comfortably beating Hull while everyone else is on a roller coaster.

I feel the fans of teams chasing 2nd are better off at home as the stress must be bad enough without being on the terrace hearing false reports from elsewhere.