rllmuk
Mike1812

EFL Championship 2019/2020

I guess we should have a new thread for a new season. 

Predictions: can anyone predict what's going to happen in this league? 

I really hope Leeds can go that extra inch and get automatic promotion. We need a few players first before I can be confident. 

Frank Lampard's Derby County looked good towards the back end of last season but how will the cope without Frank? And what will we call them?

Swansea and Stoke should do better than last season I'd have thought. 

I expect the relegated teams to be up there, depending on what players they lose. 

Let the madness commence!

Fixtures here

• Upvote 2

So, to get our season underway we sacked Monk.....

I suspect there will be a downturn in fan attendance for us this year with it being considered another absurd decision similar to getting rid of Rowett.

The CEO came out with an interview stating how it was all Monk, not willing to budge on playing style, wanting to only use 1 football agent to sign players (I imagine he was thinking to try and recreate the success of Mendez at Wolves) and a lack of effort in recent weeks / months i.e. not willing to meet with the board etc.

To say all that there has to be some truth otherwise Blues can expect to be putting an awful lot more money into Monk's pocket.

My concern though is that a number of our first teamers are in talks with other clubs and I suspect we might see a fire sale this summer, so what's the reason for this? To provide funds for a new manager? Or to try and recoup some of their losses up until now and let us struggle on next season using our youth team?

Yeah, it's not looking good for us at the moment and it might be worth a bet on us to go down =/

• Empathy 1

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the division this year.  It will be interesting to see year 2 of Bielsa at Leeds, I think they run the risk of losing a couple of players over the summer but I'd still imagine they will go into the season as favourites for the title. 

• Upvote 1

Still gutted we went down and now I'm already annoyed by today's fixtures.

The home games over the summer holiday's have dropped badly for me, they've now introduced an equal split of games in midweek between Tuesday and Wednesdays so we have Wednesday home games for pretty much the first time ever (which are difficult for me to get to), Swansea away is in October half term so will miss it. I probably can't do Bristol City at home. We are home for Boxing day for the first time in years, but its bloody Milwall and Swansea home is my son's birthday week-end (which might work out nicely for him as I said he couldn't go to a Swansea game yet, but he can play the birthday card, but my wife won't be impressed) and I'm already worrying about play-offs!!

Bloody championship ;-)

Leeds don't seem to have much money to spend so I'm expecting loan signings. Helder Costa from Wolves has been rumored which would be a good start. I have a feeling someone might have to be sold, hopefully not Phillips as the team was kind of built around him. We need to keep Roofe unless we sign another striker or two. Clarke could be off to Spurs which might not be too bad, he's a good prospect but we can do without him. 

I can look forward to the season knowing I dont have another season of Pulisball to suffer through.

Woodgate certainly wasnt my 1st choice, or 2nd or 3rd or 4th etc etc but I really hope he can prove me wrong.

Pulis has done what Pulis does whislt he was here, our squad looks completely out of balance and shaped towards his 'style' of play, Woodgate has a shoestring of a budget to try and turn that around, just need to find a couple of Messi's in our academy and we will be golden. :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike1812 said:

Leeds don't seem to have much money to spend so I'm expecting loan signings. Helder Costa from Wolves has been rumored which would be a good start. I have a feeling someone might have to be sold, hopefully not Phillips as the team was kind of built around him. We need to keep Roofe unless we sign another striker or two. Clarke could be off to Spurs which might not be too bad, he's a good prospect but we can do without him. 

Really hope we loan you Costa, could be a great move for all parties

2 hours ago, Steely said:

I can look forward to the season knowing I dont have another season of Pulisball to suffer through.

Woodgate certainly wasnt my 1st choice, or 2nd or 3rd or 4th etc etc but I really hope he can prove me wrong.

Pulis has done what Pulis does whislt he was here, our squad looks completely out of balance and shaped towards his 'style' of play, Woodgate has a shoestring of a budget to try and turn that around, just need to find a couple of Messi's in our academy and we will be golden. :ph34r:

He wasnt in my top 10 either but i've really come around since hearing his interviews and about bringing an attacking style to Boro, im certain he wont be playing 5 at the back with 3 holding midfielders, he's gonna go for it and get Britt scoring, get your money on him with 20 plus this year.

Woodgate has calmed down from the lad who was always out partying now he has 2 young kids and a cosy home life near the moors. I wish him all the best and really hope he's a fans favourite like Ole.

In terms of Cardiff

Warnock is staying which is good although he has pretty much said this is his last year so I'm assuming sucession planning will start around Christmas depending on how we get on.

We've lost 3 of our 4 central midfielders from last year (Camarase and Arter gone back from loan) and Gunnerson retired to Qatar - all big loses and we need a couple of replacements there as we only have Ralls and Bacuna.

On the wings, we've got Hoilett, Mendez Laing and Murphy who should all cause some havoc.

Defence is all good as long as Manga renews his contract and Bamba recovers from injury.

In goal, Etherridge has been linked with Villa and Liverpool - hopefully he will stay.

Up front is where we need a big signing - Reid didn't get enough chance last year and I think will do very well back in the Championship as long as Warnock plays him. Ward is alright, but nothing more. Zahore has the occasional good game, but remains a player that sometimes looks like Drogba and other times looks like he has never played football in his life. Hopefully Tomlin and Madine will be got rid of and not get anywhere near the team.

That leaves Patterson, once he is back from injury, to terrorise the Championship in whatever position he damn well chooses.

I think we are certs for the top ten bar something going very wrong and with a couple of good signings we will be stronger than we were two years ago, but its the Championship so if that translates to another shot at automatic or a horrible scrap for the last play-off place remains to be seen.

I hope we finish 1st, 2nd or 7th.

The Wednesday seem to be trying every trick in the book to not fall foul of financial fair play rules. Bruce surprised and impressed me greatly last season so I actually pretty confident for the upcoming season. Getting Westwood to sign a 2 year deal is a massive bonus and if we can get some genuine pace in the side and avoid the injuries that have plagued our last few seasons we could mount a serious play off challenge. Moving to London in July so my season ticket will not be getting used enough but at least I have a decent  amount of away games to go to.

On 20/06/2019 at 15:02, dr_manhattan^ said:

Really hope we loan you Costa, could be a great move for all parties

We really shouldn't be loaning Costa. At the end of next season, he'll be into the final year of his contract.

Helder needs a move, but it needs to be a permanent one. I'd be amazed if Leeds could afford him.  

If he does move on permanently I'd expect it to be to someone like Villa or for him to move to a European club. We should be looking to recoup what we paid for him as there's still a cracking player there.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Boothjan said:

We really shouldn't be loaning Costa. At the end of next season, he'll be into the final year of his contract.

Helder needs a move, but it needs to be a permanent one. I'd be amazed if Leeds could afford him.  

If he does move on permanently I'd expect it to be to someone like Villa or for him to move to a European club. We should be looking to recoup what we paid for him as there's still a cracking player there.

I assume it would be a loan with a clause that we had to buy for a fixed price if we get promoted. Leeds surely can't afford £13m right now. 

There are so many rumors going round, I've seen Leeds linked with Gigi Buffon and Francesco Totti, as if we pay wages like that in the Champ. 

It seems a lot of the rumors start with a player following a club on Instagram or Twitter. Costa did that with Leeds. Any tenuous link is reported these days. 

On 20/06/2019 at 13:31, Mike1812 said:

Clarke is indeed going to Spurs. £10 million potentially rising to £11.5 million according t'intenet. That is good money but it's still a bit sad that he joins the list of talented players we've had to sell on be because we're shit. But failing to get promoted basically robbed us of the ability to hang onto anyone if a Premiership club comes in. 

Hopefully it means that we'll be able to make some moves in the transfer market because I don't think the same team will do as well this season. We need a few players at least. The defense needs to be a little less leaky and being actually able to hit the net more than 1 in 12 times would be, like, great. 

Well Southampton are now sniffing elsewhere for a new striker :)

Due to the upheaval we haven't responded regarding their 14 million pound offer for Che Adams. To me that's grand news! What's irked me is that our club seems to have a reputation now because of the Yeung years. Their first offer was a measly £8 million. Any other club would be asking for closer to £20million but clubs think they can come in with small amounts and end up getting our players cheaply.

Only have to think back to Demarai Gray, Nathan Redmond and Jack Butland.

There is more concern at the moment, Pep Clotet the current head coach was interviewed yesterday and he basically answered he doesn't know to most of the questions. Questions including who's in charge of bringing in players this summer :doh:

10 hours ago, Luseth said:

Well Southampton are now sniffing elsewhere for a new striker :)

Due to the upheaval we haven't responded regarding their 14 million pound offer for Che Adams. To me that's grand news! What's irked me is that our club seems to have a reputation now because of the Yeung years. Their first offer was a measly £8 million. Any other club would be asking for closer to £20million but clubs think they can come in with small amounts and end up getting our players cheaply.

Only have to think back to Demarai Gray, Nathan Redmond and Jack Butland.

There is more concern at the moment, Pep Clotet the current head coach was interviewed yesterday and he basically answered he doesn't know to most of the questions. Questions including who's in charge of bringing in players this summer :doh:

His interview was very underwhelming and cagey. He will be gone by Christmas I reckon. 

The Che Adams one is a bit weird. I don't think he's worth any more than £12,000,000 and think he will struggle to make a significant impact in the PL. However, we will find it very difficult to replace him in our current situation. 

37 minutes ago, Elseb said:

The Che Adams one is a bit weird. I don't think he's worth any more than £12,000,000 and think he will struggle to make a significant impact in the PL. However, we will find it very difficult to replace him in our current situation. 

Leeds are in a similar situation with Kalvin Phillips. Realistically, he's worth around £15m to a Prem side as he's untested but Leeds don't want to sell so price him at £30m to put people off. And what would it actually cost to replace him? 

Daily Mail are reporting we've accepted a £16,000,000 bid for Che today. Hopefully we can reinvest some of it but not expecting much. 

9 hours ago, Elseb said:

Daily Mail are reporting we've accepted a £16,000,000 bid for Che today. Hopefully we can reinvest some of it but not expecting much. 

I think its the beginning of the end! 

We are selling our most valuable assets before they sell the club (and us getting relegated!)

Not sure where it leaves us. We have to get in line with FFP so we knew we'd have to get the money from somewhere, it was either do a dodgy ground sale or sell players.

It looks like we're being forced to go with youngsters next season and a new style of football. It's not looking good at all. 

13 hours ago, Elseb said:

Not sure where it leaves us. We have to get in line with FFP so we knew we'd have to get the money from somewhere, it was either do a dodgy ground sale or sell players.

It looks like we're being forced to go with youngsters next season and a new style of football. It's not looking good at all. 

To be fair loads of clubs have done that with the ground (Villa are due to be the latest I think?) so whilst it's 'dodgy' it evidently does the job.

Che's confirmed as leaving (for 15 million by reports). I think we might see 2 or 3 million reinvested just as a token gesture. I have a horrible feeling they are banking on Vassell to do the business this season and I think that's a big ask of someone who's unproven at this level.

On the other side of the coin, reports are that Southampton are paying Che 60k a week for the next 5 years. A striker that's unproven at premiership level. I hope he does well but that's a gamble in itself isn't it considering he's only had 1 good season in his career as of yet. Is this to do with a potential profit they could make through Liverpool down the road maybe?

Phillip Cocu linked with Derby but only willing to join if he's given some pocket money. Both of those outcomes excite me.

Michael Morrison is not signing a new contract so we've also lost our main centre back. 

Jota, Adams and Morrison all gone. Probably worth a tenner on us getting relegated. 

• Empathy 2

I should be enjoying this Blues implosion but after the last few seasons at Villa, in fact about everything which happened at Villa Park between the summer of 2011 and February 2019 I just can't do it. It really sucks to see clubs torn apart by incompetent and/callous owners, especially when you realise the rest of the world don't care because they are all preoccupied by the fact that Barcelona haven't won the Champions League since 2015 or that finishing 2nd in 2018 is probably as good as those long suffering Manchester  United fans will have it for a few more seasons. 

So you've got my sympathy buddy.  I'll still be a prick about it to the Blues fans I'm friends with irl obviously, but I've got a persona to maintain there.  

• Upvote 3

On 26/06/2019 at 09:50, Mike1812 said:

I assume it would be a loan with a clause that we had to buy for a fixed price if we get promoted. Leeds surely can't afford £13m right now. 

There are so many rumors going round, I've seen Leeds linked with Gigi Buffon and Francesco Totti, as if we pay wages like that in the Champ. 

It seems a lot of the rumors start with a player following a club on Instagram or Twitter. Costa did that with Leeds. Any tenuous link is reported these days. 

It seems that a loan deal for Costa to Leeds is close after all.

If you manage to get just half of the talent he possesses, you're going to have one hell of a player for that league - a massive coup.  Completely unplayable on his day.  Check out the highlight reel from his first season here - he used to take the piss out of defenders whenever he got the ball.  And despite what some of our fans might say, he was excellent the season we won the division too, though he featured less due to injury and the fact we had a much better squad.  He suffered a bit last season but that might have been down to trying too hard in the few chances he had.  A move is definitely what he needs.

The fact he got a call up (and scored) for Portugal speaks volumes.