rllmuk
Dirty Harry Potter

Game Of Thrones Prequel - The Long Night

Maybe, but if they want it to seem different, setting it in the same place and having one of the same villains and releasing a screenshot that looks exactly like GOT isn't giving it that vibe. It seems safe, and like they're scared to try something different so they've chosen a story with the same basic plot set in the same place.

20 hours ago, Don Wiskerando said:

I would like to see the Doom of Valyria on screen because it's the only way I'll ever get to see a good version of the Cataclysm from Dragonlance. 

Now that would be a good tv series.

i never got around to watching the animated cartoon starring kiefer Sutherland.

edit - it’s been uploaded to YouTube. That’s my evening sorted.

2 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Nope. That’s the first official image of this new series.

On 19/06/2019 at 10:25, makkuwata said:

Season 7, Episode 4: The Spoils of War. Arya returning to Winterfell.

:quote:

On 20/06/2019 at 15:32, deerokus said:

There are some exceptions but prequels are rarely very interesting. 

Maybe this will be the Yakuza 0 of GoT though. 

I don't really understand why prequels so often seem to be the go-to in sci-fi/ fantasy.

We already know, in broad terms, how it's going to end up. Why not start with a completely blank canvas and tell us what happens next, instead? 

• Upvote 2

Plus your own imagination often fills in the blanks. It's often better to let the viewer or reader's mind think about back story based on nothing more than a throwaway line or scene. For example, who can honestly say the Star Wars prequels or the Alien prequels have really done anything apart from pour cold water over everyone's sense of wonder?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

I don't really understand why prequels so often seem to be the go-to in sci-fi/ fantasy.

We already know, in broad terms, how it's going to end up. Why not start with a completely blank canvas and tell us what happens next, instead? 

The best prequels are focused on individual characters I find - 'how did this interesting character who we haven't fully explored before end up like this' rather than 'what happened in this world before the story you care about'. 

But the most popular kind seems to be the latter. And even the other kind can ruin a character. See the Han Solo film for example. 

It’s what, 5000 - 8000 years earlier, I hardly think that warrants the kind of “waaaah, it’s a PREQUEL” complaining that’s going on in here. It’s not like it’s going to be a Star Wars, Batman or Hannibal one where it’s Character X: The High School Years or even their parents. It’ll be (with likely two minor exceptions in Elf Chick and Ol’ Blue Eyes) a whole load new bunch of people we’ve never seen before that no one knows sweet FA about. When something is set so close to an existing time period I could understand the complaint but when there’s this large a gap and so much unknown, I don’t think it’s justified at all.

Maybe they’ll throw in some ice spiders this time.

• Upvote 1

The true origin of the white walkers may have nothing to do with the Night King. There is no Night King in the books, and would be surprised if they go full show canon over book canon now D&D aren't involved. Sure, the later seasons have left a sour taste, but I'm prepared to keep an open mind about this. I still love the whole world that GRRM built up.

Also, don't really have the same ennui towards prequels as some are expressing. Sometimes watching/reading something a second time is just as fun, if not more fun, because you get to experience everything knowing the full significance of even the smallest of events. Prequels can have the same effect.

If they manage to make it as good as the 1st 3 seasons of GOT then I doubt anyone will care when it's set or what it's connected to. 

Look at Legion, I'd barely be able to draw the link between it and the wider x men universe based on the tone and style  of the show, certainly for the 1st series( haven't seen the rest). 

The main thing with prequels is that 9 times out of 10 they don't exist because the writer has a good idea for a story worth telling that takes place before the previous one, but they exist because the creators/producers don't want to deviate from the profitable thing that made big money previously. So instead of thinking, 'this makes for a great story', the thought behind most prequels is 'let's give the audience more of the same'. That's when you get stuff like 'the story behind the funny hat that some dude in the background wore when Luke entered that one building in that one scene in that fan favourite mega successful movie'. That's when you get Star Trek Discovery.

How long a prequel is set before the story already told, be it three months or a thousand years, is completely irrelevant and tells us nothing about which kind of prequel it is.

Maybe GRRM has a great story to tell about something that happened before the Ice and Fire sing-along, I don't know. I hope so. This being a TV show thing exclusively instead of being based on one of his books, gives me low expectations about the whole thing looking at the last few seasons of main GoT. But we shall see. If it's good, it's good. I'm willing to be convinced.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Maybe GRRM has a great story to tell about something that happened before the Ice and Fire sing-along, I don't know. I hope so. This being a TV show thing exclusively instead of being based on one of his books, gives me low expectations about the whole thing looking at the last few seasons of main GoT. But we shall see. If it's good, it's good. I'm willing to be convinced.

This was one of the pilots that was co-wrote by GRRM so it should at least have his influences in it.

My prediction for a Mind Blowing Subversion Of Expectations:

There will be a full on rotter of a character, proper Ramsay style bunny torturer. He will initially only be referred to by his first name, but eventually it's revealed that he's.. a Stark! Whoa holy shit! I thought the Starks were the good guys! Didn't see that coming! Where is your God now?! Etc.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, dug said:

My prediction for a Mind Blowing Subversion Of Expectations:

There will be a full on rotter of a character, proper Ramsay style bunny torturer. He will initially only be referred to by his first name, but eventually it's revealed that he's.. a Stark! Whoa holy shit! I thought the Starks were the good guys! Didn't see that coming! Where is your God now?! Etc.

Bran the builder actually used the bodies of his slaves for his constructions....

https://deadline.com/2019/07/game-of-thrones-martin-lannisters-starks-the-longest-night-george-r-r-martin-1202643694/

GRRM says there will be Starks, Direwolves, White Walkers and mammoths. Lannisters aren't there yet, at least at the start. Casterly Rock is, but at this time it's occupied by the Casterlys. While the old show talked about The Seven Kingdoms, that's after a lot of consolidation. At this time there's much more, maybe a hundred little kingdoms.