rllmuk
Dirty Harry Potter

Game Of Thrones Prequel - The Long Night

Cant see another thread on this. This seems like it’s started shooting and here is the first official still of the production:

7AD654FA-C831-4D74-88EC-04CE927F214E.thumb.jpeg.a6f836316a4000a91592caa82d9674b9.jpeg

Starring Naomi Watts and takes place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers.

Personally I think I’m pretty over Game Of Thrones - and not sure what else I want to see in that world. But happy to be surprised by it. 

I think this is pretty much the most boring thing they could’ve chosen for the prequels. It’s an event that we know tonnes about, know the ending of and have already seen the second version of play out. It’s literally the most boring moment in the entire history of Westeros to base a show on.

• Upvote 4

Yep me too.  We Had 7 seasons build up to a character who ended up going precisely nowhere storywise, so why anybody would be the slightest bit interested in a whole show devoted to delivering more is beyond me.  The show runners clearly did not give a toss about the character by season 8, so don’t know how they expect the audience to care going forward?

• Upvote 1

On 19/06/2019 at 08:19, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Cant see another thread on this. This seems like it’s started shooting and here is the first official still of the production:

7AD654FA-C831-4D74-88EC-04CE927F214E.thumb.jpeg.a6f836316a4000a91592caa82d9674b9.jpeg

Season 7, Episode 4: The Spoils of War. Arya returning to Winterfell.

• Upvote 1

I guess I am the only one here who isn't a miserable git then.  I'm looking forward to it, great to hear that (hopefully) another quality fantasy show is on it's way.

• Upvote 8

Would've much rather seen the doom of Valyria... I'm sure this will be good, but unless there's some great revelation that makes the way the NK 'died' turn on its head and mean somethign different then I really don't see the point of it.

Would have been more interested if the Night King had any sort of impact on the grand scheme of things. But he couldn't even make it past the first Northern fortress with a Dragon and billion Zombies+1 for every person they killed. Oh and Giant Zombies though he only fancied using the one. 

He was a bit pointless in the end. 

• Upvote 6

The exact path of this show is already written: Execs love it because it's a prequel/sandbox and doesn't need a fixed ending -> starts off completely boring and underwhelming -> loses the OG GoT fanbase -> gathers a smaller, more dedicated fanbase -> writing starts to improve around end S2/start S3 -> HBO cancels it.

After season 8, now knowing that it all went absolutely nowhere, that there was no convincing resolution to any of the character arcs and that the showrunners themselves clearly only wanted to wrap it up asap, I've lost all interest in anything GoT related.

In terms of quality fantasy shows (which, let's face it, the last few seasons of GoT were not) I have high hopes for The Witcher. At least those books are all finished and the show runners won't have to end up clumsily winging it.

• Upvote 5

27 minutes ago, Treble said:

The exact path of this show is already written: Execs love it because it's a prequel/sandbox and doesn't need a fixed ending -> starts off completely boring and underwhelming -> loses the OG GoT fanbase -> gathers a smaller, more dedicated fanbase -> writing starts to improve around end S2/start S3 -> HBO cancels it.

Wasn't that pretty much what happened to the BSG spin-off Caprica? Except that didn't even make it through one season.

Hey Hollywood, I’m full of hot pitches. How about a long drawn out prequel series about the origins Alfred Molina’s character from Raiders of the Lost Ark?

• Upvote 1

The thing is, even if the Night King wasn’t a huge damp squib, this show just sounds like it’s retreading the same old ground we already had 8 seasons of. I wouldn’t have know that  promo pic wasn’t just existing shot from GoT if the OP hadn’t said.

Am I missing something here?  The op mentions Westeros’s history and the true origin of the White Walkers, that doesn't mean it won't be about other stuff too.

This thread is just sounding like a load of fan boys who are pissed off because they didn't get the ending they wanted and now they want nothing to do with anything GOT.

I for one am looking forward to hearing more about it, i'm not just going to stick my fingers in my ears and shout la la la.  Get a grip people!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 11

Well, I’m looking forward to this and I’m one of those who hated the last season. It’s Goldman who’s running this isn’t it? I feel like she’ll have a good grasp of the material so I’m willing to be positive because of her involvement.

Youve got to feel sorry for hbo though. Looking at the meh temperature here plus the popular fallout from series 8, they can’t have seen it coming. I wonder if D&D will be getting a Christmas card from them this year?

7 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

This thread is just sounding like a load of fan boys who are pissed off because they didn't get the ending they wanted and now they want nothing to do with anything GOT.

I for one am looking forward to hearing more about it, i'm not just going to stick my fingers in my ears and shout la la la.  Get a grip people!

The irony is strong in this one.

I do hope this new show is good of course, as good as the seasons of OG GoT based on the books even, and that you are able to enjoy it without letting different opinions get to you.

17 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

Is this just the go to excuse now that when some people say they don't like something or aren't interested in anything follow ups? You're just entitled fanboys? Maybe it's that it wasn't just elite hardcore fans it pissed off, it was the vast majority of the fans. You have a point when it comes to people saying "that's not my Game of Thrones" and signing stupid petitions to get the season remade, but that's a small minority. The vast majority of people disliked it because of the awful writing, pacing and reasoning behind certain decisions.

I never had any thoughts about who I wanted on the throne because I couldn't ever make my mind up and I would have been quite happy for everything to happen exactly how it did if it had just been written, paced and plotted better.

If you enjoyed it fine but dont pigeon hole those who dont as just spoilt fanboys when some people have very good reasons for disliking the final season.

But back to this, I'm quite happy to see more of the Westeros world but that last season undoubtably left a sour taste in my mouth and with only been a month or so removed from the end of Game of Thrones it's hard to muster up any energy and welcome this show with excitement right now.

• Upvote 7

17 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

Am I missing something here?  The op mentions Westeros’s history and the true origin of the White Walkers, that doesn't mean it won't be about other stuff too.

:)

That's not my approach at all, I just think prequels are - by and large - bollocks. It's difficult to get invested in concepts where the consequences have already played-out. That's why Better Call Saul works so well, as Jimmy's story was unfinished, and why the Star Wars prequels don't.

A sequel would clearly be more interesting and exciting, but risk aversion and (i'm guessing) GRRM wanting to keep interest in a potential sequel path clear puts the kibosh on that. I'll definitely be tuning in, but it'll be with a cautious and jaundiced eye.

• Upvote 2

There are at least 2 other GoT shows being pitched. I think there were 5 at one point. A sequel is still possible. 

I get the point about prequels but this is so far in the past I think it is much less of an issue. The Seven Kingdoms don't exist. The Wall doesn't exist until the very end. Valyria doesn't exist. Some of the Houses exist but the people there are literally mythic figures. The Children of the Forest were key players. The actual Long Night in the stories is meant to have lasted a generation, and impacted everywhere. Baddies win for a bit. 

That's an okay premise. Most stories end with the good guys winning and the baddies pushed back, so knowing that is no great shakes. They might balls it - epic Zombie Horde runs amok for years until desparate alliance pushed them back sounds really expensive. But I don't think it's automatically bad, and I'm just looking forward to it as ankther big fantasy story.