rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
idiwa

Which Dark Souls?

12 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Bloodborne is the best combat action game. 

Dark Souls is the best action RPG.

Sekiro is the best ninja game. 

Is the combat in Bloodborne really better than Sekiro? The agility of Wolf is something I absolutely love about it and it worries me that going back now will feel too slow.

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

Is the combat in Bloodborne really better than Sekiro? The agility of Wolf is something I absolutely love about it and it worries me that going back now will feel too slow.

It's a different combat system . Sekiro is rhythm based, right? Whereas BB is about unleashing a constant stream of aggression.

47 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

It's a different combat system . Sekiro is rhythm based, right? Whereas BB is about unleashing a constant stream of aggression.

It ebbs and flows with Sekiro depending on the enemy. There are loads of different attack patterns. Some of it is rhythm based when you’re trying to fill their parry meter for a death blow, but aggression is also key if you want to take their health down.

I’ve heard a lot of people say it lacks the depth of the combat in their previous games, but I don’t think that’s totally right. A lot of the character build stuff has been stripped right back, but how you approach each fight is usually up to you, utilising different sugars, balloons, the different arm prosthetics and your own tactics based on the enemies moves.

It’s a lot deeper than I think some people give it credit for and it’s really fun. It’s a lot more fluid than Dark Souls combat.

I would argue that regardless of preference, you should play Miyazaki’s three games in the order they were released in. Dark Souls has the best world design anyway, but a lot of the bosses in BB and DS3 felt like they were designed to be most difficult if you fell back on the pattern learned in DS1. There’s also a lot of story stuff linking 3 to 1 that would be worse if experienced backwards.

• Upvote 1

The beginning being Demons Souls, of course.

I replayed this recently. Its a fucking masterpiece. Just dripping with atmosphere.

And it really, truly, utterly makes you appreciate a bonfire. Even Dark Souls is generous by comparison!

• Upvote 1

The NPCs and dialogue are pretty godly in every single game.

My favourite is probably the Maiden in Black from Demon's but there are so many. The Armourer Maughlin from DS2 is another favourite, nervy and weary then full of piss and vinegar before losing it.

Also, the blacksmith from DS2. 

"I'll be around...if you make it back, twat!" 

He doesn't actually say twat but my brain always fills it in because of his condescending tone and the rhythm of the sentence. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

My favourite is probably the Maiden in Black from Demon's but there are so many. The Armourer Maughlin from DS2 is another favourite, nervy and weary then full of piss and vinegar before losing it.

Also, the blacksmith from DS2. 

"I'll be around...if you make it back, twat!" 

He doesn't actually say twat but my brain always fills it in because of his condescending tone and the rhythm of the sentence. 

“Spell from the Demon Maiden in Black's Soul. Sucks the soul out of whoever it touches. The Maiden in Black, who aids the demon slayers with her command of Soul power, was once one of the oldest, most dangerous demons herself.”

Some of the Lore.... is just so.... beautiful :wub:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Sekiro really suffered from a lack of this. 

• Upvote 4

The truth is I would say anyone whose become jaded with gaming, and never played a Soulsborne, could pick up any one of these games and fall in love all over again. 

With the possible exception of 2 - personally I love it, but I can't ignore the fact that some people do not seem to. 

13 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

The truth is I would say anyone whose become jaded with gaming, and never played a Soulsborne, could pick up any one of these games and fall in love all over again. 

With the possible exception of 2 - personally I love it, but I can't ignore the fact that some people do not seem to. 

2 was the first one I played. It's an exceptional video game that made me fall in love with gaming again. 

It's the worst of the bunch but as a first Souls it still has the magic. 

• Upvote 6

Posting this here because it's another way of comparing games in the series...

New Frame Plus has done a video comparison of parry animations across the Dark Souls games (and, briefly, Demon's Souls and Sekiro):

Most of the video is spent on DS1. He highlights details such as the tiny judders/hitches in the arcs of the riposte animation, and the way that a female player character jumps awkwardly from the standard riposte animation into the female version of the idle stance.

I've never played Demon's Souls, but from the clip he shows I agree that it's disappointing that Demon's Souls kept parried enemies looking off-balance right up until the riposte attack hits them, but then Dark Souls introduced an unnatural pause where enemies snap into a neutral pose as if they're waiting to be hit, and that this was not corrected for Dark Souls 3.

• Upvote 1