rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
idiwa

Which Dark Souls?

PS4

I'm going through a bit of a Meh period with gaming and I can't really be arsed with anything apart from leisurely games of Everybody's Golf. Having never touched anything like Dark Souls in the past I was wondering about giving one a go. Dark Souls 3 is dirty cheap at the moment on PSN. Is that a good one to start (die) with?

Not sure if this sound stupid but is Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice similar to Souls? or just the same studio?

I assume these games are not tied in anyway, ether by narrative or previous character saves?

Cheers.

Get Dark Souls 3, it's the best one by far or Bloodborne but I find Bloodborne is better played in the autumn due to it's gothic horror atmosphere. 

Sekiro is the same studio but I wouldn't say it's that similar, there are no rpg elements or world exploration or weapon/build variety or even much NPC interaction.

Just go for Dark Souls 3 :)

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Minion said:

Get Dark Souls 3, it's the best one by far or Bloodborne but I find Bloodborne is better played in the autumn due to it's gothic horror atmosphere. 

Sekiro is the same studio but I wouldn't say it's that similar, there are no rpg elements or world exploration or weapon/build variety or even much NPC interaction.

Just go for Dark Souls 3 :)

3 is a rough start for a beginner, Gundyr would be no fun as your first DS boss.

I'd say start with the first one and its DLC. The best level design in the series by miles, much better exploring potential and build variety, and it's just weirder and more satisfying. I don't think the third one has the magic of the first one and you won't get what the fuss is about.

• Upvote 4

I played Dark Souls 3 first (after Bloodborne) and I found it very magical, it has the best combat, the best bosses, the best weapons and gear and builds and is most balanced.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Minion said:

I played Dark Souls 3 first (after Bloodborne) and I found it very magical, it has the best combat, the best bosses, the best weapons and gear and builds and is most balanced.

I'm really surprised you would think that. The builds had nowhere near the character or or potential for being as straight-up weird as the first game, the level design was dull with nothing even approaching the glory of Sen's or the sheer misery of the Depths and Blightown, and the bosses  didn't compare to the amazing Gargoyles fight, Capra or O&S. DS was just so iconic and distinctive. 3 was diluted and felt like a tribute act.

• Upvote 5

There's something about Bloodborne that puts me off. I think its the colour palette just seems very depressing. I think I watched a Giantbomb quicklook when it was initially released. 

Absolutely the first Dark Souls. Get the remastered version, it plays wonderfully, and if you have PSN you should still be able to experience some of the online stuff.

• Upvote 5

I think 3. The only reason 3 fell a little short is because it borrowed so much from 1. On a standalone basis it's the best game. It also looks far better.

• Upvote 3

Actually I'd say Remastered looks way better than 3 on PS4 - it's a full 60fps and sharp as hell. The first Dark Souls has far more genre defining moments and the DLC is the best Dark Souls has ever been.

• Upvote 3

Dark Souls no contest, 3 is amazing but you need to experience the first one, first. Yeah Demon's Souls was really the first, but, no, Dark Souls.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, idiwa said:

Cheers everyone (even JPL) I've gone for the Dark Souls Remastered. I'm sure I'll be dying a lot before this night ends. 

It's a good choice to be fair. Absolutely excellent game. Make sure you get around to Sekiro at some point though, the movement and combat in it is better than Dark Souls for me.

• Upvote 2

Make sure you guys let us know how you’re getting on as you go. Nowt better than reading people’s Dark Souls journeys. 

Also make sure you check out Dark Calls podcast once you’ve finished it. 

• Upvote 2

Sekiro is brilliant, but also quite different. If you fancy a great, challenging action game, you can't go wrong with it. Great traversal too, DS feels like wading through quicksand in comparison.

Out of the rest, Bloodborne is by far the best. Better pacing than DS, none of its lows (Bed of Chaos anyone?), better combat, better art direction, better lore, cooler weapons and awesome enemies and bosses. Great DLC as well.

I prefer DS3 to DS. Better combat, better bosses, the best location in the series (Cathedral of the Deep), none of DS's dips in quality and visually much more appealing.

DS is still a masterpiece though.

They all are. Except 2.

EDIT: too late, I see. :)

• Upvote 3

People don't talk enough about the serious dip in quality the first Dark Souls suffers. The first half is incredible, then there's a bit of a lull, then there's a huge one.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, Timmo said:

People don't talk enough about the serious dip in quality the first Dark Souls suffers. The first half is incredible, then there's a bit of a lull, then there's a huge one.

But with the Remaster and DLC, this becomes a slight but noticeable dip, and then ramps up again to some of the best bosses, levels and gear in the game.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

But with the Remaster and DLC, this becomes a slight but noticeable dip, and then ramps up again to some of the best bosses, levels and gear in the game.

A great point! The DLC is excellent.

5 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I'm really surprised you would think that. The builds had nowhere near the character or or potential for being as straight-up weird as the first game, the level design was dull with nothing even approaching the glory of Sen's or the sheer misery of the Depths and Blightown, and the bosses  didn't compare to the amazing Gargoyles fight, Capra or O&S. DS was just so iconic and distinctive. 3 was diluted and felt like a tribute act.

Dull level design???

Blightown is probably the best level in any game ever. The undead burg/undead parish/firelink triangle is probably the best interlinking design ever. But to say Dark Souls 3 has dull level design?

Cathedral of the Deep (especially)

Irithyl Dungeon (actually especially this too)

Lothric Castle

Grand Archives

Irithyl of the Boreal Valley

So it is at least debatable. But in my opinion DS3 has far, far better bosses. There are barely any rubbish ones, and there are loads of amazing ones - Dancer, Aldritch, Sulyvahn, Nameless King, Champion Gundyr for example.

O&S are of course incredible videogame history. Capra is great just for the sheer audacity of a boss you can die against in less than five seconds.

I can see the original poster has made the correct decision to start with Dark Souls, and will hopefully move onto Dark Souls 3 after.

Can you explain what the straight up weird builds are from DS?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, idiwa said:

Cheers everyone (even JPL) I've gone for the Dark Souls Remastered. I'm sure I'll be dying a lot before this night ends. 

Good choice. I came to DS relatively late after bouncing off the game when I first played. When I got around to playing again, it clicked. After that, you can enjoy the rest of the series at your leisure, and you will! I ended up buying a PS4 just to play Bloodborne

Post your progress (controller smashing moments) in the DS thread :D 

• Upvote 1