rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
new666uk

Will there ever be an Amiga or Atari ST mini?

The whole idea of a mini-fied Amiga, done in the style of a SNES or a NES mini with a selection of games hardwired onto a ROM, goes right against the ethos of a home computer anyway. It'd be closer to a 64GS or a GX4000 than a mini Amiga. If they included a version of Workbench you could piss around on, a copy of AMOS and SEUCK to make terrible games on, Octamed for some shit house music, a copy of DPaint to make bad studies of 2000ad covers and a copy of Xcopy just for authenticity, then fair enough - but without all that stuff, you'd be missing out on such a huge part of the whole Amiga experience that it seems a bit pointless. Like, they could stick Cannon Fodder and Super Skidmarks on there, and they're still great to play now, but they're hardly likely to put any demoscene stuff on there, let alone any PD utilities for editing team names and colours on F1GP, which probably accounted for about 5% of the total time I ever spent on my Amiga.

It wouldn't really be the Amiga without all the random stuff lurking in the disk box between the games. A Raspberry Pi feels closer to the vibe of the Amiga anyway.

• Upvote 4

But as we all know all these mini systems end up with a hack and library of great games / roms installed. Also with so many comments I can see there is an interest too.

Having started this topic off I had my mind in ST mode and dug mine out of the loft last night. Opened it up and cleaned the dust bunnies and outer case then powered it up. It's been sat idle for 25+ year and fired straight up. Played a handful of discs at random, all A-OK.

Can't find my boxed copies of Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes back - might be in the parents loft. Got plenty of other games to play for now.

I picked up an ste a couple of years ago that Powered up but wouldn't work on the modern flat screen the guy tried to demo it on through the RF connector. Been meaning to pick up a VGA cable and try it out on an old monitor but can't bear the thought of my hundreds of disks now being dead. Back in the day I had a lovely 4 Meg machine with an internal 235MB IDE hard drive installed by a shop in Windsor (system solutions or maybe the upgrade shop), miss that machine so much.

:(

• Empathy 1