rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

17 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Incredible skill by Ali there, I was willing VAR to not rule that out

It was such a good goal that it seemed nailed on that VAR would rule it out. 

2-1 in the Derby. Getting feisty too. Robertson shithousery on Davies. Alexander-Arnold leaving his foot in on Richarlison too.

Pickford again has a nightmare. 3-1.

He's so far off his line all the time. England keeper? Not for long.

4-1.  And the weird thing is, Everton have largely given as good as they have got.  But they've been undone by some brilliant, brilliant goals.

1 hour ago, Stopharage said:

Another great VAR decision in the Leicester game. Vardy gets his ankle kicked and is then booked for diving. Var review agrees. No-one else does. 

Everton should have had a penatly. VAR looks, no penalty. Its baffling. 

Pellegrini reckoned West Ham dominated the 2nd half at Molineux.

To be fair to him, there were a lot of games being broadcast simultaneously. It'd be easy to mix them up.

• Upvote 3

Quite exciting night in Scotland, Rangers somehow blew a comfortable 2-0 lead at Pittodrie while Celtic looked to have dropped two points to a last minute Hamilton equaliser before getting an even later winner to go two points clear. 

The two teams have been matching each other in blowing teams away all season but December's fixture list is absolutely hellish in Scotland - Celtic have 9 games in 30 days - and it will go a long way to deciding the league. Whoever survives with fewer injuries and drops fewest points on frozen ploughed fields will be in a great position 

• Upvote 1

just when you think Italy can't get any more racist Corriere dello Sport lead their preview of Inter v Roma with pictures of Lukaku & Smalling and the headline 'Black Friday' - they'll claim its a tribute to 2 great players or some such shit.

spacer.png

I don't speak Italian, so I can't read the text around the headline. Is there some context we're missing that frames it differently, or is it really just a reference to the colour of their skin? 

The article accompanying the headline called former Manchester United team-mates Lukaku and Smalling "the idols of Inter and Roma fans" and that their confrontation would be the "battle inside tomorrow's big game".

It's a reference to the colour of their skin. It's not racist though cos it's positive. FFS.

As far as I'm aware the game is being played on Friday, and they are black - it's nothing deeper.

Doubt there is some subtext about them being signed at bargain prices, and even if they were its still tone deaf and shows how deep the issue is in Italy that it could get printed.

While the headline is objectionable and they deserve pulling up on it, let's not forget our rags have been peddling racist hate for years. 

On 04/12/2019 at 14:29, Fry Crayola said:

No reason for it to do so. BBC's live channel streams don't do that, for example.

Unless you pause for more than 2 hours, I suppose.

I don't have any particular axe to grind in the matches tonight so I'll do a bit of experimenting.

44 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

VAR lol. Interesting when everyone but the striker goes with the whistle/flag, and basically gift him the goal.

More fool everyone else. The goalie shouldn't have been complacent like that. And of all the "oh his lace was offside" calls that rule put goals, he was clearly on side, and it's nice to see a var rule correct a bad call for once. 

I was at St James Park on Saturday and really enjoyed the game and seeing Shelvey's goal so it was good to see him clinch the match again. 

Was a tense match for us (as Newcastle fans) because I really didn't expect a result like this from the way it started. But Newcastle seemed to get clearly stronger as Sheffield got more and more frustrated and then started making mistakes.

The Saturday game against Man City really felt like a win and was a great match to watch. We had really great seats* and I was just buzzing for ages afterwards. 

* We felt a bit bad because I believe the availability of seats is a little bit due to the boycott against Ashley. But we were in Newcastle for one long weekend and since my other half was a junior magpie when she was a Nipper, we couldn't not. 

• Upvote 1

Aye, I agree, I just thought it was funny. And even funnier is the somewhat bitter reaction from the Blades manager in his post-match interview. Not sure I've seen anyone as salty in post-match since Mourinho's worst days.

• Upvote 3