rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

I switched from my TV app to the Xbox One app and that has HDR. Why do Smart TVs have to be so dumb? There is something to be said for the more primary coloured pitch of the SDR image, to be fair.

1 minute ago, DC Lemon said:

I switched from my TV app to the Xbox One app and that has HDR. Why do Smart TVs have to be so dumb? There is something to be said for the more primary coloured pitch of the SDR image, to be fair.

Get a better TV. :hat:

The little player videos of the goal scorers in the bottom left are so fucking tacky. Ugh. 

Although.... I kinda want loads of different people to score now so I can see each one. Ffs. 

Did amazon make the players record them? Is a goalie made to do it? 

• Upvote 1

Took the kids to their first night game, testing their resolve for the big'un against Brighton on the 16th.

What a result, down to 10 after 20 minutes and nicking a 1 - 0 in the last 15.

Bournemouth were woeful, a better team could have taken us apart.

• Upvote 1

Flawless picture here - Roku 3, 802.11ac, BT Fibre-to-the-Property on the cheapest package. We're the youngest people in our neighbourhood by a good 30 years though, so I'd imagine contention is low.

That said, I honestly think I prefer listening to it on the radio, then watching Match of the Day.

• Upvote 1

Loads of games on tomorrow. Who's watching what?

I think Man Utd Vs Spurs is probably the one to watch for goals. Spurs score a lot but let in a lot. Merseyside derby games aren't like they used to be.... watch them all.

1 minute ago, Alexlotl said:

Flawless picture here - Roku 3, 802.11ac, BT Fibre-to-the-Property on the cheapest package.

That said, I honestly think I prefer listening to it on the radio, then watching Match of the Day.

As a neutral, I prefer MOTD too.

I won't keep going on tonight about Amazon streaming frame rates, I suspect I'm sensitive to it in the same way people complained about Mario Kart only running at 59fps and the dropped frame was ruinous. 

watched some Amazon on multiple screens now, both live and the highlights to test it - my tv does give UHD, my mac doesn't but hit 1080p - it all looks fine until there is a wider shot with the ball hit long/fast (like Rodri's goal, or a goal kick) - then the ball itself seems to not move perfectly smoothly along its path, I suspect its a frame rate and speed of movement thing similar to when car wheels look like they are going backwards whilst the car moves forward.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

One thing I did like about Amazon is the "Start from the beginning" option you can select before it spoils anything if you amble in late.

Oh, something that didn't occur to us at all was that we might be able to pause it. Is that a thing you can do? Midweek football on Telly always results in one or the other missing a goal because they were preparing dinner (it's usually me)

I'm torn tonight as to whether or not to watch the goals show, pick a match, or just wait for MOTD like @Mike. On the one hand, BT's Champions League Goals Show is my favourite way of watching the European football - all of the goals from all of the matches, as they go in, interspersed with chat, lots of excitement and no risk of picking a duff match.

But then BT have James Richardson and a suite of knowledgable football writers. Amazon have Robbie Savage.

8 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Oh, something that didn't occur to us at all was that we might be able to pause it. Is that a thing you can do? Midweek football on Telly always results in one or the other missing a goal because they were preparing dinner (it's usually me)

You could pause their tennis coverage, so I expect the same here.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Apparently there was a "Stadium Atmosphere" I.e no commentary option. Might try that tonight.

I hope they bring back fans commentating like Sky had in the old days. I loved that.

Its unusual reading about Amazon’s coverage because BeIn shows every Premier League game every week here, with goal flashes during whichever is the featured game ie with studio coverage. Forget the norm is relatively limited live coverage of the top flight.

Having staggered kick-offs tonight means can watch the first 40-odd minutes of Man Utd Spurs then flick over for the Merseyside derby, conveniently missing any Keys and Gray punditry.

It does feel like the Premier League are slowly nudging towards every game being shown live and staggered starts like this - the last rights deal achieved a lower price per game, but hit a higher overall figure as they sold more matches and packages (with this Amazon one being held back and sold last).

If this trend continues they'll keep adding more and more matches into the mix to achieve the overall number, until eventually I think we'll see the whole lot on offer, and variants like single club viewing season tickets.

Whilst on an upward trajectory they placated the smaller leagues and teams by respecting protecting their audience - but that won't last forever if the EPL rights are falling.

3 hours ago, cowfields said:

Didn't try it I'm afraid.  My guess is if you're watching "Live" and pause it, it'll skip back to live but if you're watching timeshifted it'd stay put.

10 minutes ago, Gotters said:

It does feel like the Premier League are slowly nudging towards every game being shown live and staggered starts like this - the last rights deal achieved a lower price per game, but hit a higher overall figure as they sold more matches and packages (with this Amazon one being held back and sold last).

The worry I have is the pushing of midweek matches even later.  Traditionally it was 7:45, now CL matches are at 8, and Amazon are pushing these ones to 8:15.

If I go to a midweek match, as cup and CL ones almost always are, I already get home at midnight, much later and it's going to make it very difficult to go. 

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

The worry I have is the pushing of midweek matches even later.  Traditionally it was 7:45, now CL matches are at 8, and Amazon are pushing these ones to 8:15.

If I go to a midweek match, as cup and CL ones almost always are, I already get home at midnight, much later and it's going to make it very difficult to go. 

agreed, though not sure how much later they can push it and maintain an audience here on TV. 

we don't have a weather based kick off schedule that has seen games KO at 10pm because 40c heat has had to dissipate (though may have in a few years with climate change), its just not part of our national psyche, but again they'll follow the money, so if the audience is in asia and they are paying then sure they'll stuff the fans and push kick off as late as possible. I found it hard to stay awake til end of City game. 

having a season ticket is actually quite hard work now in London if you don't live by the ground - getting to Arsenal on Sundays when rail engineering often happens, and roads are rammed is a right pain.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

My guess is if you're watching "Live" and pause it, it'll skip back to live

No reason for it to do so. BBC's live channel streams don't do that, for example.

Unless you pause for more than 2 hours, I suppose.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Plissken said:

Apparently there was a "Stadium Atmosphere" I.e no commentary option. Might try that tonight.

Could do with that on BT Sport.