rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Arsenal are a bit like us(LFC) around 2010-13 with Torres then Suarez up front but then Charlie Adam, Kyriagkos, Joe Allen etc 

8 minutes ago, JamesTW said:

Arsenal are a bit like us(LFC) around 2010-13 with Torres then Suarez up front but then Charlie Adam, Kyriagkos, Joe Allen etc 

Charlie Adam was an amazing player when Blackpool got promoted. One of the best players I've seen live. I've seen Gazza, Linekar, Di Canio and Cantona live too.

He ran the entire game and I've never seen a player since who can take a better corner. He played us this season in the League Cup for Reading and looked sadly about four stone overweight. He did nothing but kick people :(

39 minutes ago, JamesTW said:

Arsenal are shitter than us back then. Those Liverpool teams could (and should) have won the title on a couple of occasions.

This Arsenal team is just a side in freefall. More like us under Hodgson/Kenny’s second coming and in danger of just falling away.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

I've got tickets for the England group game against mystery team - slightly underwhelmed as I've seen us play Scotland and the other games aren't exactly exciting.

Now seen the game is 8pm and I'm taking my ten year old - looked at Wembly travelodge for after the game - £175! Its £50 two weeks before on a Friday night. Supply and demand I know, but I'm not paying that.

we did the Hilton the night before a friendly with Portugal. It has a swimming pool!

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

Sorted it for you.

He didn't though. He was one of the most creative players I've ever seen. Such a shame he went wrong.

He reminds me of Paul Ince. A fabulous footballer who became The Governor for no reason at all.

Rodgers will definitely take the arsenal job if offered. And he's desperately asking them to offer it in his mealy-mouthed David Brent speak. 

Leicester fans, don't say we didn't tell you so. 

20 hours ago, neoELITE said:

He didn't though. He was one of the most creative players I've ever seen. Such a shame he went wrong.

He reminds me of Paul Ince. A fabulous footballer who became The Governor for no reason at all.

Nah he was a nasty piece of work. I remember him deliberately going in on Bale. Exactly the kind of unprofessional behaviour that belongs to a bygone era. 

• Upvote 5

On 30/11/2019 at 12:11, Timmo said:

You know many of those players were brilliant before him, right? Adama Traore was amazing for Middlesbrough. Ruben Neves is the most expensive Championship player ever and was already a Champions League level player, as were Moutinho and Patricio. I'd expect any Championship team to go up and stay up comfortably with that level of connection/investment.

Sorry for the late response.

I originally said that without Nuno, we wouldn't have signed Neves, Moutinho or Patricio (amongst others). He was a massive factor in persuading them to join.

Traore has always had ridiculous pace but a very, very inconsistent end product and a total lack of a footballing brain. The difference in his game compared to last season in particular is huge. Potential is being unlocked finally. 

And you wouldn't recognise Matt Doherty (an error ridden right back in a back 4 who wasnt even our first choice when we were in League 1) or Conor Coady (a central midfield who didn't seem to have any attributes at all) before Nuno realised they were better off playing as an attacking wing back and a sweeper. They look much fitter, far more confident, both are excellent communicators and both are now excellent premier league quality players as a result.

As for the investment - I would never pretend we haven't spent big, but we weren't the biggest spenders. And all Wolves fans have seen that spending money does not equal success. Since Nuno arrived, we've spent very well to create a team that works, and its not just been mega money deals. We've used Nuno/Mendes contacts as well as recruiting sensibly from this country (Ryan Bennett and John Ruddy being 2 examples) but its how it's all fitted together that has been the key. And that's down to Nuno and his staff.

So investment - not guaranteed success (hello, Fulham). Connections - a slightly different aspect, and I'll concede that but that was part of my original point about why Nuno has been such a success. He's very shrewd, he knows what he needs and he knows how to glue it all together. 

• Upvote 2

Macclesfield are heading the same way as Bury.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50634040

Players at Macclesfield Town have issued an ultimatum to the club's owner that they will not train, or play on Saturday, if they are not paid wages they are owed by 18:00 GMT on Monday, BBC Sport understands.

Silkmen owner Amar Alkadhi told the BBC on Monday morning that arrangements for payments to players had been made.

I believe that the game for Rotherham tonight is the first time that they have ever been in a televised live match.

They've been in trouble for a while now, Sol Campbell didn't get paid for his time there from what I recall.

44 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I believe that the game for Rotherham tonight is the first time that they have ever been in a televised live match.

This is clearly untrue as I distinctly remember in the documentary Chucklevision where a Mr B. Chuckle pops up with a last second headed winner, only to realise in calamitous circumstances that he done so at the wrong end to condemn the Millers to defeat. A dark, confusing moment in their history.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

They've played in the Championship and been in play off semi-finals and finals. 

8 hours ago, neoELITE said:

They've played in the Championship and been in play off semi-finals and finals. 

Which weren't live broadcast.

There is no minimum broadcast requirement for Championship coverage. Yorkshire TV would concentrate on Leeds or the Sheffield clubs.

They've definitely been on TV before. My dad is a Rotherham fan and I remember him making a huge fuss of the fact they were on Sky. I think they were in the Championship at the time.

27 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Which weren't live broadcast.

There is no minimum broadcast requirement for Championship coverage. Yorkshire TV would concentrate on Leeds or the Sheffield clubs.

They were in the 2018 League 1 play off final. 

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

They were in the 2018 League 1 play off final. 

And 2014 - I went to that one.  They beat Leyton Orient on penalties.  That was also on TV.  They lost another final to Dagenham a few years before that when they were in League 2.