Football Thread 2019/2020

Reports today of Amazon having concerns over the ability of the UK internet network to handle streaming of their rounds of premier league matches - apparently they even tried to do a deal to get the merseyside derby on terrestrial TV but their deal with the PL prohibited it.

They have concerns about massive concentrations of people in one area all streaming at same time, and then a wider concern about lag (which already impacts sky and BT, but both of them aren't exclusively streaming the matches so Amazon figures will be larger, especially with so many folks having Prime).

I'm sure Arsenal at home to Brighton on the Thursday with an 815pm KO won't cause any widespread bandwidth issues.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Probably one to keep an eye on.

After FAI President John Delaney resigned, a full independent audit of the accounts was ordered by Sport Ireland.  That has now been completed and the report handed to... the police.

As an aside, I was reading up on Delaney.  He was known for mixing with the Irish fans at World Cups/Euros and buying rounds of drinks for everyone, 10, 50, 100 people at a time.  Turns out he was using an FAI credit card to do so, so effectively he was buffing up his reputation with the fans using their own money.

Doesn't surprise me - sorry but the FAI have been a joke for decades.  So much of a joke that even Roy Keane called them out on their shit show 17 years ago.

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

Reports today of Amazon having concerns over the ability of the UK internet network to handle streaming of their rounds of premier league matches - apparently they even tried to do a deal to get the merseyside derby on terrestrial TV but their deal with the PL prohibited it.

They have concerns about massive concentrations of people in one area all streaming at same time, and then a wider concern about lag (which already impacts sky and BT, but both of them aren't exclusively streaming the matches so Amazon figures will be larger, especially with so many folks having Prime).

I'm sure Arsenal at home to Brighton on the Thursday with an 815pm KO won't cause any widespread bandwidth issues.

I'd take all of that with a pinch of salt.  Is it just Amazon reminding people they've got the football and it would be cool if we all got Prime in December. 

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, Naysonymous said:

I'd take all of that with a pinch of salt.  Is it just Amazon reminding people they've got the football and it would be cool if we all got Prime in December. 

Not so sure, it's a network stress test the likes of which rarely happens - apparently they've had difficulties with their live streaming of tennis, plus its not just about their infrastructure

What will hundreds of houses in the same area of Liverpool all hitting HD or 4k simultaneously at the exact same time do for the local broadband infrastructure ?

Anyone been following the Luis Enrique / Robert Moreno stuff this week? The former is coming across like a bit of a cunt, calling Moreno 'disloyal' - as sad as Luis Enrique's personal situation is, I think Moreno's request to manage the tournament itself and then step down is totally fair - he was in charge for all but one of the qualifying games and I don't think his ambition in this instance is malicious, but now he's just been painted as a complete snake.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Gotters said:

What will hundreds of houses in the same area of Liverpool all hitting HD or 4k simultaneously at the exact same time do for the local broadband infrastructure ?

Why would "hundreds of houses in the same area of Liverpool" not be actually watching the match at Anfield?

21 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

Why would "hundreds of houses in the same area of Liverpool" not be actually watching the match at Anfield?

At a guess, because Liverpool has a population of half a million while a quick google suggests Anfield only seats 54,000, of which only 2,000 or so will be available to Everton fans. Also, not everyone can afford to go to the match and/or fit it around their other obligations.

• Upvote 1

Half a million supporters though?  Nope.

Of course I'm guessing but I'd say there's a high proportion of supporters who actually go to the match vs to people who won't or can't, compared to a lot of other cities.  And then you have a lot less people who also have Prime.

So a significant number of Liverpool supporters in Liverpool watching on Prime?  Only Amazon could say, really.

I don't really know what your point is @Smoothy, the problem being reported is a worry about internet bandwidth both centrally, but more specifically locally, when a more concentrated chunk of the population than usual log on in unison to stream the same thing at the same time

its a concern Amazon have about BT, Virgin, Sky etc, nobody is besmirching VVD or Klopp.

10 hours ago, Plissken said:

Probably one to keep an eye on.

After FAI President John Delaney resigned, a full independent audit of the accounts was ordered by Sport Ireland.  That has now been completed and the report handed to... the police.

As an aside, I was reading up on Delaney.  He was known for mixing with the Irish fans at World Cups/Euros and buying rounds of drinks for everyone, 10, 50, 100 people at a time.  Turns out he was using an FAI credit card to do so, so effectively he was buffing up his reputation with the fans using their own money.

There was a story in last week's Sunday Times by Mark Tighe, whose reporting earlier this year led to Delaney's departure, about money paid to Delaney's ex girlfriend. Apparently it was paid to an account she didn't have control of, which backs up her earlier denial of having received the €60,000 in question. 

There's still people out there going to bat for Delaney. :doh:

3 minutes ago, bear said:

There was a story in last week's Sunday Times by Mark Tighe, whose reporting earlier this year led to Delaney's departure, about money paid to Delaney's ex girlfriend. Apparently it was paid to an account she didn't have control of, which backs up her earlier denial of having received the €60,000 in question. 

There's still people out there going to bat for Delaney. :doh:

Someone I know who is fairly well connected in football said we could be looking at an eight figure sum.  As for support, Delaney was very good at giving people a few free tickets to big matches.

4 hours ago, Plissken said:

Good job Amazon don't have any big cloud infrastructure or streaming music / TV / movie stuff.

It's not the Amazon side that's the problem.  It's that they sell you broadband while having maybe 5% of the capacity needed to supply everyone knowing they won't all try to use it all at once in an area.

Until of course, they do.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Smoothy said:

Of course I'm guessing but I'd say there's a high proportion of supporters who actually go to the match vs to people who won't or can't, compared to a lot of other cities.  And then you have a lot less people who also have Prime.

Most of the Liverpool fans come from Dorset, Wales, Stevenage, Devon and Norway ;)

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Well yes, but that would be true if every single person in Liverpool was a Liverpool fan.

But yeah, it's like the old joke about that Chelsea v Man Utd match that got suspended for snow a few years back.

"For the safety of the travelling Chelsea fans".

• Upvote 1