rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

46 minutes ago, Gotters said:

So Jose was going on in his press conference about the quality of the beds and pillows at Spurs training ground hotel - I have it on good authority for those interested that they use Mammoth mattresses, I know this as bought a couple myself from the local department store Fishpools who told me this, and can vouch they are indeed 'special' (seriously so comfy)

Who needs titles and cups, when we have the finest pillows known to man.

• Upvote 2

The Euro 2020 playoffs are about to be drawn. Mostly irrelevant for the Irish sides given it'll only determine who's at home in the final, whereas for Scotland it'll decide who they actually play.

• Upvote 1

Scotland play Israel. I don't envy them. Iceland play Romania, winners play Bulgaria/Hungary.

Scotland's final, should they get there, will be hosted by Norway or Serbia. Ireland's final (ha) will be hosted by Bosnia or Northern Ireland. 

Which brings the prospect of Ireland needing to go to Belfast to qualify. Oof. I doubt it'll be as hectic as the time Big Jack took them to qualify for USA '94, but then we might have Brexited by that time and fallen back 30 years. Maybe Bosnia v Slovakia will just be safer. 

In the U21s things are going back on track for Stephen Kenny as they tore apart Sweden in the second half on Tuesday night, winning 4-1 after being 1-0 down at half time. I was happy to see Troy Parrott in the squad (and getting a goal) too. Kenny requested that if he didn't play against Denmark that he join up with the team, which was a good move. Looks like qualification there will come down to a meeting with Italy in October next year - when Kenny's likely to be in charge of the senior squad.

Football finance journo Matt Scott (also a slightly rabid pro Emery Arsenal fan) is saying this morning that Spurs have effectively been for sale for 10y as Joe Lewis a capital appreciation investor, but that its Levy's enthusiasm for the job, and great work he's done in raising the value that means they've kept hold of it.

The interesting bit which I didn't know, and explains the grasp on the budget and transfer dealings, is Scott is claiming that Levy owns 30% of the club.

I'd assumed he was a highly waged Lewis mouthpiece.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gotters said:

Football finance journo Matt Scott (also a slightly rabid pro Emery Arsenal fan) is saying this morning that Spurs have effectively been for sale for 10y as Joe Lewis a capital appreciation investor, but that its Levy's enthusiasm for the job, and great work he's done in raising the value that means they've kept hold of it.

The interesting bit which I didn't know, and explains the grasp on the budget and transfer dealings, is Scott is claiming that Levy owns 30% of the club.

I'd assumed he was a highly waged Lewis mouthpiece.

Wikipedia seems to explain it quite well:

ENIC Group (formerly English National Investment Company) is a British investment company, focused on the sports and media sectors. ENIC is owned by Joe Lewis (through Tavistock Group) and Daniel Levy. ENIC's Bahamas-registered subsidiary, ENIC International Limited, currently holds 85.55% of the total issued share capital of English Premier League club, Tottenham Hotspur. Levy and his family own 29.4% of the share capital of ENIC International Limited, while Lewis owns 70.6%

i.e. the company that owns virtually all of Spurs is 29.4% owned by Levy and 70.6 by Lewis.

• Upvote 1

West Ham letting Adrian leave on a free isn't looking like such a great decision. I've seen more competent goalkeeping in PES than I've seen from Roberto today.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Surely they must have an under 10s keeper that's better than this guy?

2 sackings this week?

All down to the two pricks in charge, as usual. Adrian wanted £50k a week, so they cheaped out as usual and got Martin and Roberto for less than Adrain wanted. What could possibly go wrong? :doh: :( 

Pains me to call for the managers head as the rot goes far, far deeper than him but something needs to change and he's the easiest option.

27 minutes ago, Seanfl9 said:

It's going to get much worse under Jose, isn't it?

Well, this bit goes without saying.

We've thoroughly shithoused Watford today. They've had all the chances, Burnley had one shot on goal (which Wood scored) before adding a penalty. Sorry about that, Hornets fans.

Wolves up to 5th! We're on a great run of form and seem to be coping well with the extra fixtures in Europe too. Cheered me up as I lie here in bed with a minging cold! 

So good to beat Bournemouth - I can't stand their gamesmanship and the 'plucky underdog' myth the media continually peddle. Wish they'd fuck off and get relegated.

Only wish Ipswich would have scored a winner v Blackpool as I'd be £200 richer. Bastards.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1