rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

9 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Which popular creative or young player do you think he will pick on and attempt to drive out of the club?  Harry Winks, maybe?

that's a good shout, he also likes to totally ostracise an older/expensive player or two as well, its like a prison style thing where you have to assert dominance early otherwise the showers aren't a safe place to go.

11 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Which popular creative or young player do you think he will pick on and attempt to drive out of the club?  Harry Winks, maybe?

Dele Alli for sure. 

Whether he is popular is another matter mind. 

Can’t say I’m pleased about Mourinho but you have to have hope (it’s what kills you) and he did win trophies with a worse set of players at Man Utd....

Nope, can’t do it #pochback

• Upvote 1

Cant think of a worse choice.  Spurs like to develop youth and bring them through. Jose buys players who are already the finished article.  

He likes total control, Levy will not give him that. He likes to spend big and Levy wont spend. 

Spurs will be in turmoil within 12 months.

4 minutes ago, Herbalizer said:

Cant think of a worse choice.  Spurs like to develop youth and bring them through. Jose buys players who are already the finished article.  

He likes total control, Levy will not give him that. He likes to spend big and Levy wont spend. 

Spurs will be in turmoil within 12 months.

It explains the short contract.

I think Levy just really wants a trophy and feels he can manage Mou's personality. He also obviously feels the interviews went well.

To be fair, Spurs have been stinking it up the vast majority of 2019, the Champions League final bought Poch way more time than he would have gotten previously.

My biggest shock is he actually sacked him, considering how well sort after he is by all other big clubs. I really thought he would have struck a deal with someone like Bayern rather than sack him. Do we know if Poch got the full pay off?

It was certainly at a point where a squad overhaul was required or a change of manager and the manager is far cheaper, when you consider the number of players who have clearly fallen out of form under Poch. Realistically how much did he need to spend to try and turn it around.. Plus the hope will be Jose can convince some of those running down contracts to sign new deals, if he does that, Levy is won over.

If Jose comes in and galvanizes that team, and its still a bloody good team, they are capable of playing the Jose way, running through brick walls which they did in years gone by. I recon this is all poised nicely for a Jose revival job. Which will happen this season and then next season is where it will start unraveling. Looking at the squad, its a mostly experienced team, which again suits Jose, I think this is a better fit than United and Jose.

Hopefully he wont be as miserable as he was at United, well at least at the start, he always turns miserable eventually.

More interested now in where Poch will go! Sheffield United away this weekend for Man Utd, a very difficult place to go at the moment and also being beaten by a newly promoted team is the perfect excuse to make a head roll. :lol:

It will end in tears, But IF Levy backs him in the next two seasons they might finally win something. The guy is exceptional at getting players over the line.

This feels like one of those decisions that the Totally Football Show will do a flip reverse on in five years time.

Mourinho did pretty well at United for a while considering the club is in turmoil (albeit he also contributed to that). Spurs have a better squad and are more stable... he'll get them back in the top four and *stares into mystic ball* reach the Big Cup semi-finals (more power to him if he beats Pep along the way).

Pochettino will surely have Man United (if they've any sense left at all) and Real Madrid hoisting their skirts to flash him a bit of ankle.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

People are answering this and seemingly ignoring the fact Spurs have recently spent big on a young English left back who is just getting back to full fitness. 

4 hours ago, glb said:

Wait... the play-offs are a mini tournament now? Did UEFA hire Partridge?

Partridge would do a better job.

Each Nations League division has a two round playoff, contested by the four teams that won their group. Which would be simple if it wasn't for the minor issue of most teams that'd contest it having already qualified.

• Upvote 1

Looking around (and this is so far off the other discussion in the thread, so I'll just chirp in with "Fuck Mourinho"), CONCACAF also have a Nations League, but they've tied it to the Gold Cup in a more sensible format - every position in the league brings with it qualification, a playoff spot, or elimination. No case of waiting for results elsewhere.

I wonder if UEFA could improve on the current international offering by making the Nations League replace European Championship qualifying entirely, instead of the two-route system they have at the minute. 55 teams could be split across three tiers, 24-20-11, with the top tier having four groups of six, the middle tier four groups of five, and then two groups in of 5 and 6 in the bottom. This means each team has ten or 8 matches to play, same as now, but against sides of comparable ranking, rather than the mismatched affairs like England - Montenegro and Italy - Armenia over the last week.

Automatic places can then go to the top 3 teams each group in the top tier (12 teams), the top place in each group in the second tier (4 teams), and the host nation. The remaining 7 places could be decided by playoffs, with all remaining top tier teams entering, as well as second place teams in the middle tier and the group winners from the lowest tier.

The advantages of such a system are that almost half of the UEFA nations get to play against higher quality opposition every match, renewing interest in the qualifiers for teams who normally walk it. Qualification for the best teams rather than the playoff threat in the top tier should keep it competitive, while a Nations League finals tournament on offer for the four group winners gives something to push for. The middle tier teams lose out on automatic matches against the best teams in Europe, having instead to earn them, but do have a healthy shot at qualification themselves. The lowest 11 teams get to play games against similar quality opposition and can still qualify for the tournament with a good run.

No, it's not as straightforward as the old qualifiers-playoffs-finals approach, but then look at how dead this thread was for England's two matches, coupled with the usual disdain for international weeks during the season. People want competitive football with something on the line.

25 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Partridge would do a better job.

Each Nations League division has a two round playoff, contested by the four teams that won their group. Which would be simple if it wasn't for the minor issue of most teams that'd contest it having already qualified.

Well that's just silly.

1 hour ago, Revival said:

The guy is exceptional at getting players over the line.

He's like one of those project managers who delivers the project on time, but everyone on the team is forever damaged and quits the company in the next 6 months. Whether that's a net benefit to the company depends on how you look at it.

It makes sense, in a way. Five years with a great manager who built a team but won nothing. Now they'll get 2.5 years with a manager who will destroy that team, but almost certainly win a few trophies on the way. Poch complains that the squad is too old; Mourinho likes older players and tends to stifle youth. The question of financial backing in the transfer market promises to be fascinating, though.

Rest assured I'm still ribbing the hell out of my Spurs supporting brother in law.

As a neutral, I'd quite like to have seen Eddie Howe given a chance at a bigger club, and Spurs and Leicester look like the two best fits.

Spurs could have become proper title condenders if Poch had been given more transfer money and control these last couple of years, its was so clear to see the potential around him, and fair enough if they dont want to become a big spending team then thats up to them, but to then hire Mourinho, it just doesnt make sense.

I like people assuming Mourinho will always spend his career winning trophies. We Man United fans often regale stories to each other of our dramatic Carabao Cup winning journey, or our Europa League triumph against adversity. Oh no wait we don’t, we barely remember them occuring because the team played like shit. 

It is a shame Pochettino never won a domestic cup or wasn’t poor enough through a season to land a Europa league place which he could then blitz through in an easy year when Sevilla and Athletico Madrid’s dominance had ended. If i was a spurs fan i’d treasure the Champions League run and impressive performances and wins against some of the most successful teams and managers of the last decade, completely outplaying them, rather than forever pining for a trophy, any trophy that might as well mean nothing, and willing to sell your soul to the devil to achieve it. 

Pochettino’s ambitions were always bigger than simply winning a trophy, any trophy to validate his work and something to put on his cv. He wanted the team to be among Europe’s best and match the very top sides consistently enough to transform how the club view themselves and how the world does. With trophies, as Klopp (prior to champions league win) has also shown, sometimes it’s just bad luck, fine margins, and poor timing. But people still reckon there’s certainties. 

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

Not sure if anyone's seen this on the news in the last week or so... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50479168

Basically a player broke his ankle in a non league game a few years back and has now sued the opposing club and won. The club now has to pay 135k damages and legal fees which they can't so their main option is to sell their ground. 

This is a very dangerous precedent set by the courts as since this other players have started to some forward with claims. It's the end of semi pro football as we know it. 

This ruling also has a knock on affect further down to grass roots. Imagine a friendly 5 a side with your mates where you accidently injur someone and next thing you know you're in court... 

The club mentioned above have set up a go fund me page. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/SaveOurGround

Even if you don't donate, please share the link on social media. The supporters are doing all they can but it would be a lot easier to raise some money if more than 400 people saw the link :lol:

16 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

I like people assuming Mourinho will always spend his career winning trophies. We Man United fans often regale stories to each other of our dramatic Carabao Cup winning journey, or our Europa League triumph against adversity. Oh no wait we don’t, we barely remember them occuring because the team played like shit. 

It is a shame Pochettino never won a domestic cup or wasn’t poor enough through a season to land a Europa league place which he could then blitz through in an easy year when Sevilla and Athletico Madrid’s dominance had ended. If i was a spurs fan i’d treasure the Champions League run and impressive performances and wins against some of the most successful teams and managers of the last decade, completely outplaying them, rather than forever pining for a trophy, any trophy that might as well mean nothing, and willing to sell your soul to the devil to achieve it. 

Pochettino’s ambitions were always bigger than simply winning a trophy, any trophy to validate his work and something to put on his cv. He wanted the team to be among Europe’s best and match the very top sides consistently enough to transform how the club view themselves and how the world does. With trophies, as Klopp (prior to champions league win) has also shown, sometimes it’s just bad luck, fine margins, and poor timing. But people still reckon there’s certainties. 

I broadly agree! Poch gave us our club back after some dismal year of torrid managers and football -  we played great football under him and the champions league run will stay with me forever! I’m old enough to remember the cups we have won and I’d take this Poch run over a Europa cup, league cup etc and you always felt that he would win something given how far ahead of our financing we were punching.

• Upvote 1

Not my quote but I loved it.

"If Spurs wanted a manager who was a toxic arsehole whose methods had been out-evolved, then Neil Warnock would have been cheaper."

Korean news reporting that Yoo Sang-chul has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Only 48. 

For those that don't know, Yoo was one of the first modern Korean icons and a very talented and versatile player that was only blocked a move to Barcelona by a contract already signed with Yokohama F Marino's. Scored in two world cups and played a vital part in Korea's amazing if slightly fortuitous run to the semi finals in 2002. 

Good 2 mins of goals. 

• Empathy 3

So Jose was going on in his press conference about the quality of the beds and pillows at Spurs training ground hotel - I have it on good authority for those interested that they use Mammoth mattresses, I know this as bought a couple myself from the local department store Fishpools who told me this, and can vouch they are indeed 'special' (seriously so comfy)

• Upvote 1