rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Yeah we played well tonight, kept plugging away when our heads could have dropped, especially after the penalty miss. Deserved to win - nearly there!!

I hope their centre half isn't too badly injured - I was in the south bank and the way he fell to the ground old cold looked horrible. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Yeah we played well tonight, kept plugging away when our heads could have dropped, especially after the penalty miss. Deserved to win - nearly there!!

I hope their centre half isn't too badly injured - I was in the south bank and the way he fell to the ground old cold looked horrible. 

Yeah that was a worry, but I have to be honest, I love the way Raul tried to get the other centre half with an overhead kick ten minutes later :lol:

Our inability to take chances bothers me.  Two goals from 45 shots last two games, something's not right there, but we're bloody hard to beat.  I think that's three losses in 22 games this season.

In terrible career move news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50330200

Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill looks set to be appointed as the new Stoke City manager.

The Irish FA gave permission to the Championship strugglers to approach O'Neill on Thursday and talks are understood to have progressed well.

Stoke will have to pay compensation to the Irish FA for O'Neill's services but this is not expected to prove a stumbling block to his move.

O'Neill is expected to take charge of Stoke in Saturday's game at Barnsley.

Surely his work with NI could have landed him a much better job than Stoke City.

The squad's a mess but the potential long term is massive. Rich, committed owners, no debt, premier league quality stadium, etc. It's crazy to think that just a few years ago they were finishing in the top half of the Premier League. 

He's got a hell of a job on his hands mind you. They're absolutely awful.

Watford are off the mark and off the bottom! I was never that worried about finishing bottom but I'm not sure who will need to make way for us to climb out of the bottom 3. Everton, as crap as they are, run hot and cold and I expect them to go on a good run soon. Villa and Burnley are solid too. Newcastle ... I have no idea. A point vs Burnley and beating Southampton would look fairly rosy I reckon. Maybe.

• Upvote 1

Watford didn’t look like the bottom club at all last night. Norwich looked pretty bad to me, seemed clear they’ve lost so many defenders to injury for that opening goal. 

fantastic run and finish from delefio though 

10 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Watford are off the mark and off the bottom! I was never that worried about finishing bottom but I'm not sure who will need to make way for us to climb out of the bottom 3. Everton, as crap as they are, run hot and cold and I expect them to go on a good run soon. Villa and Burnley are solid too. Newcastle ... I have no idea. A point vs Burnley and beating Southampton would look fairly rosy I reckon. Maybe.

I reckon it could be Southampton sadly.  Could be one of the closest ones yet for relegation.  Wonder if there will be any surprises and someone goes on an absolute stinker of a run and gets dragged into it?

1 hour ago, davidcotton said:

Wonder if there will be any surprises and someone goes on an absolute stinker of a run and gets dragged into it?

Brighton always have it in them to go on a 10 game shit run so I can't see them staying up there too long. They have some tough games coming up (Arsenal, Man Utd, Leicester, Liverpool then the Palace grudge match) so they could tlget dragged in as well.

Sheffield United, Brighton - as mentioned above - and Palace are all punching well above their weight so far. Wouldn't be surprised to see any one of them sink down the table by January.

It won't happen, but would be interesting to see how Spurs / Man United coped with being bottom half for a prolonged period and getting sucked into a few dogfights. Suppose they would just do what Chelsea (Mourinho v2) and Liverpool (Hodgson) did and replace the manager. Neither should be where they are though. Suppose Everton might get stuck but likewise a change of manager coupled with a pretty decent squad should see them be fine and comfortably upper-mid table by May.

Chelsea's youngest PL starting line up ever, also the youngest PL manager against the oldest.

Chelsea will go 2nd with a win but you've got to get past Gary Cahil first...

10 minutes ago, Dudley said:

4 minutes to rule a goal offside for literally a pixel, even assuming they got the right frame.

Pathetic.

"Clear and Obvious"

It's a fucking joke.

Must be scraped.

• Upvote 1

Especially as they showed us them constantly redrawing lines on the damn thing, seemingly in order to try and find an excuse to rule it out.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

Especially as they showed us them constantly redrawing lines on the damn thing, seemingly in order to try and find an excuse to rule it out.

Our second game of the season Neves scored a worldie against United.

Those fuckers tried so hard to rule it out.  Absolutely no advantage like the first Sheffield United goal today.

It's just shite, I didn't celebrate the Raul goal last weekend against Arsenal.  No doubt it'll ruin tomorrow's game against Villa.

If it's not fixed I don't know if I'll bother with live football.  The feeling of scoring a goal and being there is one of the only benefits of actually being there.

42 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Remember when Spurs were 3rd and EVERY GAME WAS AN AWAY GAME JUST WAIT TIL WE’RE IN OUR NEW STADIUM :omg:

1980s glory boy posts yet another bait post :omg:

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

4 minutes to rule a goal offside for literally a pixel, even assuming they got the right frame.

Pathetic.

"Clear and Obvious"

It's not even consistent. Why is the line from the defender being measured from his knee this time and not his shoulder or his head? 

All VAR has done is move the incompetence from pitch-side to behind a monitor. 

6 minutes ago, redbloodcel said:

All VAR has done is move the incompetence from pitch-side to behind a monitor. 

That's not true, you now have multiple useless aresholes to worry about now rather than one.

• Upvote 1

I’m a Blade, but it’s important to realise that ‘clear and obvious’ doesn’t apply to offside. You’re either offside or you aren’t. It can also only be a body part that can touch the ball that counts, hence the knee being used rather than the arm.

It’d be interesting to know what they feel millimetre precision on offside decisions does to enhance the game, though. It doesn’t feel like anyone wants it.

Reasonable point today, but it feels like we should have taken three.