rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

10 hours ago, Gotters said:

what I love with rugby and cricket is you hear the process and its a conversation in rugby’s case to assist the ref 

it’s just so unsatisfactory in football and designed to not override the ref, which defeats the object

its pish, unless ruling out Burnley goals, which I’m usually fine with. 

Every other sport with video reviews I know of at least has the ref going on mic to explicitly state the final decision and why it was made. It's the only way it works properly, otherwise you easily have confusion and frustration among everyone watching. It needs to happen as soon as possible.

That and the common use of slowmo really are major weaknesses (but that doesn't apply in the EPL so much given the fact the refs never seem to watch the videos for some reason).

Just seen the MotD angle on that Burnley late VAR equaliser being ruled out, most of the angles (like in the twitter post here earlier) are crap - have to say its probably right as Evans does get foot stood on, and can't believe he'd have the presence/speed of mind to think to go down and get the goal ruled out rather than try to stay up and clear up if he could.

That said it's these tiny fractional calls that seem so unsatisfying, even if you think they're right. Not picking this cos it's Arsenal but the goal against Utd when he was a yard onside and the lino flagged felt fine as was clearly a massive mistake being rectified, players being ruled offside cos their left bollock is ahead of the defenders big toe (players should wear smaller boots) feels wrong and needs a major overhaul off the offside law rather than VAR.

For officials the number of decisions they need to make doesn't help, Wolves disallowed goal was offside, but hard to spot at realtime, their penalty was one of those debatable ones, Doherty made a great run but his exaggerated fall and move into the defenders leg is one of those plays I hate, 'drawing contact' 'he was clever there' I just don't think that is meant to be what fouls or penalties are about. 

The implementation of VAR just need to copy Rugby as much as practicable.

That would probably get us to a point where we understand why decisions were made.

There are still contentious decisions in rugby even with the TMO but it cuts out any obvious mistakes. Which is what VAR was about.

Rugby’s approach combined with the NFL’s explanations to the crowd would go a long way to smoothing some of the confusion.

Although we’d probably still get, “After reviewing the decision on the pitch, we’re just going with... hang on... because... [holds finger to ear] Alan... Alan, what was it again? C’mon buddy, my kids are watching this”

• Upvote 1

This is like one of those 3rd round cup ties where plucky but limited ability underdogs from the lower league huff and puff whilst never looking like scoring, then the good team goes up the other end when they can be bothered to move into 2nd gear and score a winner.

Except it’s Utd v Liverpool

It's a fucking foul that first the ref should have called and secondly VAR should have called.

This implementation of VAR is a fucking joke and I want it in the game.

Yesterdays was even worse with the Watford penalty being denied.

• Empathy 1

The replay is up on sky app and after a load of watches I’m not sure it’s a foul, also not sure how quickly the VAR guys made that decision as it’s close - Origi defi milks it whether kicked or not.

• Upvote 2

VAR got both right, 2nd obvious handball and the first is the typical theatrical striker dive that is designed to prevent teams breaking on them

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Stigweard said:

And what of the kick to the shin? That didnt happen no?

A tap on the leg and he goes down like a sack of spuds. Deserved a yellow for that. :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Stigweard said:

It's a foul, or is being kicked in the shin regardless of power not a foul now anymore then :rolleyes:.

A tap? No that's not a foul. Diving is a yellow though. Take those Liverpool fan blinkers off and look at it properly :lol:

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, spork said:

A tap? No that's not a foul. Diving is a yellow though. Take those Liverpool fan blinkers off and look at it properly :lol:

Haha oh fuck off with the blinkers, you're just as bad, if not one of the worst from your lot.

Oh and I'm not disputing Origi going down like hed been snipped, but then point is he was still kicked and the replay they reviewed shows that. 

Just now, Shimmyhill said:

These things even out over a season two match weekends, Liverpool got a lucky decision at Leicester and an unlucky one today....

:lol: You wouldn't have thought so with how Stigweard goes on and on like he does whenever something goes against Liverpool.

18 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

These things even out over a season two match weekends, Liverpool got a lucky decision at Leicester and an unlucky one today....

24 hours. It took 24 hours for VAR to contradict itself.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

The team in white and blue are playing so shite I keep forgetting I’m not watching Spurs....

Late equaliser too. You must be having flashbacks.