rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

3 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

And he decided to blow the whistle a quarter of a second before the ball hit the back of the net because he's either got utter contempt at the idea of being undermined by VAR or he just doesn't give a shit about it.  The implementation of VAR has to be examined as a whole and what they've got at the moment is bollocks.  

He blew before the guy shot didn't he?

A really frustrating home defeat for us tonight, albeit against what I thought was a good Braga team. So annoying - overall I thought we played well but our finishing let us down, and we were punished by a defensive error at the other end. Should have won but we come away with nothing.

We're better than the past few results suggest and I hope confidence doesn't drop too much. 

I really really really hate our fans after defeats though. Doesn't seem like any defeat is allowed and the end is nigh. More respect is needed for Nuno and the players.

• Upvote 2

Celtic game had some of the most baffling refereeing I've ever seen. By the end Rennes had given up trying to play football and were content to dive around, feign injury and try to get our players sent off (successfully). One of the most egregious outfits for diving I've seen in a while, were they like that against Arsenal last season? Really infuriating to see a team of big units like that collapsing when touched all the time. Then to see French fans online whining and call us 'butchers' lol. Is tackling just not a thing in French football? Celtic are hardly a physical side. 

A bit annoyed not to have won that match in the end, Rennes seemed shockingly average. A draw is a good result without doubt, though. 

51 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

A really frustrating home defeat for us tonight, albeit against what I thought was a good Braga team. So annoying - overall I thought we played well but our finishing let us down, and we were punished by a defensive error at the other end. Should have won but we come away with nothing.

We're better than the past few results suggest and I hope confidence doesn't drop too much. 

I really really really hate our fans after defeats though. Doesn't seem like any defeat is allowed and the end is nigh. More respect is needed for Nuno and the players.

It’s all gone a bit Burnley since you got into Europe, at least you can look forward to beating Spurs soon!

Feyenoord were there for the hammering tonight. 1-0 flatters them. I am just fucking delighted to be in a position where I can feel vaguely disappointed at not having fucked a club like Feyenoord 4+ nil considering where we’ve been recently. Incredible stuff and an emotional evening. R.I.P. Fernando Ricksen you mad bastard.

635CE131-5C68-49D2-93CF-FC504EF7C7BD.jpeg

• Upvote 4

Aye I was surprised by how poor Feyenoord were just as I was by Rennes. Youse could have won that more easily.

Maybe Scottish teams aren't THAT bad? I'm hoping for an Old Firm tie in the knockout stages. 

Definitely a more than decent night of results for both Old Firm teams. I wasn’t impressed by Feyenoord at all. First half they didn’t string 3 passes together, under our pressing game they were hitting balls out the park. Second half we started to stand off them and show them too much respect, making for a brutal final 20 minutes. Delighted over all though, no doubt about it.

9 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I think you’re being a bit harsh on our fans. They’ve stuck with the players through a very bad run of results. Last night was the only one we probably didn’t deserve. 

Didn't go last night but I’ll be at palace on Sunday. Big game for us now. Four defeats on the bounce would be a bad look, and then we have Reading after that, so it doesn’t get any easier. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I think you’re being a bit harsh on our fans. They’ve stuck with the players through a very bad run of results. Last night was the only one we probably didn’t deserve. 

Didn't go last night but I’ll be at palace on Sunday. Big game for us now. Four defeats on the bounce would be a bad luck, and then we have Reading after that, so it doesn’t get any easier. 

Going by the forum I frequent and Twitter, I'm really not. Entitled hyperbole and looking purely at results rather than performances, views on players written before the game has even started etc.

Crowd at the game sounded loud and stuck with the team so no complaints there whatsoever. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Going by the forum I frequent and Twitter, I'm really not. Entitled hyperbole and looking purely at results rather than performances, views on players written before the game has even started etc.

Crowd at the game sounded loud and stuck with the team so no complaints there whatsoever. 

But the performances have been shocking.

Sounded loud on TV too.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

But the performances have been shocking.

Sounded loud on TV too.

Everton was poor.  Chelsea was awful.  Last night was okay.  Too many players off form for me - but nowhere near bad enough to warrant the reaction online.

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

Everton was poor.  Chelsea was awful.  Last night was okay.  Too many players off form for me - but nowhere near bad enough to warrant the reaction online.

Burnley and Leicester was poor too. We haven’t really played well in any game bar arguably united at home. 

Last night was ok, but still not good. 

8 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Burnley and Leicester was poor too. We haven’t really played well in any game bar arguably united at home. 

Last night was ok, but still not good. 

Leicester was a decent enough performance IMO and we should have won.  Stupid VAR.  Agree about Burnley though.  I don't fully agree with the most likely excuse of the Europa League - too many players are simply not performing as well as they did last season and it's very frustrating.  I don't put that down to fatigue either.  Not saying it's having no impact, but certainly not as much as is being made out.  We're making basic errors which is in turn affecting confidence.

4 minutes ago, Mugman said:

#NunoOut

You kid, but I have genuinely seen people on Twitter say that!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Boothjan said:

You kid, but I have genuinely seen people on Twitter say that!

You think that’s bad, people will say it about Klopp if we draw against Chelsea 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

You think that’s bad, people will say it about Klopp if we draw against Chelsea 

Ridiculous isn't it?  Too many people seem to act like disgruntled customers rather than supporters.  And I daresay wouldn't take kindly to be called out as such.

• Upvote 1

Also, after their last minute equaliser against Burnley there were a lot of comments from Wolves fans that the Clarets "don't play football the right way".  Given the results against Chelsea and Braga, perhaps you need to be playing more teams like that - after all, they seem to have a bit more joy against them.

I wonder what would have happened if the ref had blown for a pen as thus far VAR haven’t gone against the ref in a penalty decision, I guess the offside overrides anything afterwards.

Just now, Gotters said:

what is is with Spurs and VAR

I dont know, this season we had two awful decisions go against us so nice to see it being used correctly for a change.

• Empathy 1