rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Just over 6 years since I took my son to his first Leicester game. We lost 2-1 to Charlton but ended up winning the Championship that season. The following year was the great escape where we won 7 of our last 9 to stay in the Premiership. Next year we win the bloody thing. Following year we get to the quarter finals of the Champions League. Then two top 10 finishes and the death of Vichai. 

@Naysonymous, if you have even a tenth of the enjoyment I’ve had with my son watching Villa, I guarantee you’ll have an absolute ball. Hope you have a great time tonight. 

Just remembered, that wasn’t even his first game which was when England fluked a 1-0 win against the world champions, Spain, at Wembley. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Big day in the Naysonymous house, it's time to take my son to his first game. I've probably been thinking about this day for 20 years (certainly for a lot longer than I've actually been a dad) and here we are. Don't let me down Villa!

Such a momentous day (and one I wish I could share but my boys both hate football :( ) but a win would take us third so I'm afraid I hope you get soundly beaten :D 

At least he'll get to watch one good team in claret and blue (won't be us as we'll be in white) ;) 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Big day in the Naysonymous house, it's time to take my son to his first game. I've probably been thinking about this day for 20 years (certainly for a lot longer than I've actually been a dad) and here we are. Don't let me down Villa!

I took Lucas to his first game for his 11th birthday - Block 202 of the Kop vs Southampton. It felt more special than any game I'd been to previously. Soak it up, it is an amazing feeling. 

• Upvote 2

He’s out of options now isn’t he. Courtios has taken the spot he wanted at Real Madrid. Barcelona have ter Stegen, Neuer isn’t retiring anytime soon and Juventus don’t pay large transfer fees. He form at the World Cup and last season didn’t help either and he’s no longer the best goalkeeper in the league that he was a couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

He’s out of options now isn’t he. Courtios has taken the spot he wanted at Real Madrid. Barcelona have ter Stegen, Neuer isn’t retiring anytime soon and Juventus don’t pay large transfer fees. He form at the World Cup and last season didn’t help either and he’s no longer the best goalkeeper in the league that he was a couple of years ago.

Ronaldo? Higuain?

It doesn’t stop him going anywhere else, it just means that whomever buys him pays a massive fee instead of him getting a shitload as a free agent. 

Juventus have preferred free transfers (Can, Ramsey) since they signed Ronaldo because his wages are so high they don’t have the funds to buy anyone else. Buffon returned on a free and they spent the summer trying to get rid of Dybala, Can, Higuain and Khedira to free up some funds and reduce their wage bill and were unable to shift them. Until Ronaldo leaves or they can move some players on they just don’t have the money to fund a big money move for de Gea. They’re going to be paying the transfer fee for de Ligt for the next five years on top of his wages and Serie A tv money is pitiful compared to the Premier League so they can’t use that to plug the gap.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ryodi said:

It's the same problem Eriksen had this summer, outside of England the only bigger teams these days are Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juve.  Bayern don't pay the silly wages English teams pay and while PSG will, no footballer goes there for any reasons apart from money.

So in the end, where can the top players at English clubs really go if none of the afore mentioned teams want them?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49733568

Manchester City and England defender John Stones will be out for between four and five weeks after suffering a muscle injury in training.

Stones suffered the injury in Ukraine on Tuesday, where City are preparing for Wednesday's Champions League group game with Shakhtar Donetsk.

The injury is a setback for City, who are also without Aymeric Laporte until January or February because of injury.

It leaves City with one established central defender in Nicolas Otamendi.

Can Phil Foden play in defence because it's the only way he'll get a game at City this season.

I took my boy to his first match about 2.5 years ago. Wasn't even a proper stadium :blah:

Now he and his sister have shirts (which they absolutely wanted)  and want to go to every game!

They still don't really follow the game but prefer running around and buying drinks and burgers. To be honest, the way our team plays, I can't blame them. :lol:

4 hours ago, christaylor said:

Reus has just had a penalty saved in the Dortmund Barca game, Ter Stegen was at least a foot off his line when the ball was struck. Have they given up with VAR already? 

VAR does not review the keeper on line, that’s for ref to deal with.

6 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

At this point what's the point in even having VAR. I'm all for its implementation but fuck me if all they're gonna do is use it for fractional offsides and dubious handballs, what's even the point?

We have the tech for people to watch an incident and overrule something the ref might have missed or got wrong but they wont because they dont want to admit it when refs fuck up. It's the whole boys clubs thing where they refuse to admit their own failings.

Either use it properly or fuck it off.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Same as the disallowed Villa goal from a couple of weeks ago then.   

"Oh, yeah, we've bought and paid for VAR but it's company policy not to actually use it." 

The implementation at the moment is utterly boneheaded because it's giving ammunition to people who don't like it as it's not even addressing the issues we are being told it would solve when the idea was being sold, and it's exposing that some laws of the game like keepers moving before penalties are taken or how handball is interpreted simply aren't fit for purpose.  It's kinda embarrassing.  

I wasn't fond of how they awarded Chelsea's penalty last night either.  They called the VAR after quite a lot of game had happened, more than enough for a Valencia counterattack to have resulted in a goal for instance.

Ross Barkley could still have hit the fucking target though.

2 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Same as the disallowed Villa goal from a couple of weeks ago then.   

They couldn't use VAR for that, the ref had blown before the ball was struck so play was dead and there is no way the goal could have stood, the ref could have let play run and VAR review afterwards, so it's the ref rather than VAR that deserves your ire.

And he decided to blow the whistle a quarter of a second before the ball hit the back of the net because he's either got utter contempt at the idea of being undermined by VAR or he just doesn't give a shit about it.  The implementation of VAR has to be examined as a whole and what they've got at the moment is bollocks.  

• Upvote 1

Fernando Ricksen has passed away aged 43, following a battle with motor neurone disease.

He’d done a fair bit of fundraising as he battled, can only admire his bravery in the face of such a destructive end to his life.

• Empathy 1