rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

10 minutes ago, humdrum said:

VAR isn't what was sold to the public, it was meant to fix the bad decisions but you have the foul on Rodri for Man city that wasn't given and now a foul by VVD in the lead up to Liverpools goal that just gets ignored. 

This whole not re-refereeing the game thing is crap. Premiership refs and crap and VAR was meant to help them when they miss things but it just isn't.

It was never meant to do those things, it’s very clear what it’s meant to do and correcting my team bias is not part of it.

Harvey Barnes’ goal tracked at 862mph, which might be faster than light, I’m not sure, I’m not a scientist.

Ridiculous save from Schmeichel too. Albeit the goal wouldn’t have counted but can only admire the reaction speed involved. Kasper could probably catch flies with chopsticks.

• Upvote 1

They clocked it at 71mph on MotD which is slower than I expected. I remember Richie Humphreys scoring with a shot against Villa on the opening day of the season about 20 years ago with a shot that was something like 95mph, it was on the full volley so that's probably part of the reason but I thought I'd Google fastest shots and there seems to be a list which appeared first on The Guardian but has been regurgitated in a ton of other places which lists plenty of shots over 90mph but they are all from the mid to late 90s.  I'm kinda suspicious of clustering like that, I wonder if it's down to how they measured things in the 90s giving false scores. It might be the ball but the goals were across different leagues so they'd probably be using different balls. 

What was Lascelles just doing? Looked like a very strange fall in real time and slow motion, the contact with Kane looked minimal too so it would have been a soft penalty. VAR got it right.

5 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

They clocked it at 71mph on MotD which is slower than I expected. I remember Richie Humphreys scoring with a shot against Villa on the opening day of the season about 20 years ago with a shot that was something like 95mph, it was on the full volley so that's probably part of the reason but I thought I'd Google fastest shots and there seems to be a list which appeared first on The Guardian but has been regurgitated in a ton of other places which lists plenty of shots over 90mph but they are all from the mid to late 90s.  I'm kinda suspicious of clustering like that, I wonder if it's down to how they measured things in the 90s giving false scores. It might be the ball but the goals were across different leagues so they'd probably be using different balls. 

I’m stunned Shearer marmalising the ball on the volley against Everton isn’t in the top 10. Some say the pace of that shot inspired the Large Hadron Collider.

• Upvote 1

Let me start by saying that was the worst performance I’ve seen by Spurs in years, worse than when Newcastle beat us 5-1 and a dismal game of football but fuck me id rather lose a game than play the way Newcastle did - just the worst most boring way to play a game and some disgusting time wasting.

We deserved nothing even tho we should have had a penalty (that we would have missed) but in a game referee so badly by the worst ref in history and VAR bottling it it’s no surprise. 

Utter shite all round.

• Empathy 1

So then. Liverpool and City with daylight already. Then Arsenal and Leicester, with 1 point covering 5th - 19th.

Both depressing and exciting at the same time.

• Empathy 1

6 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Let me start by saying that was the worst performance I’ve seen by Spurs in years, worse than when Newcastle beat us 5-1 and a dismal game of football but fuck me id rather lose a game than play the way Newcastle did - just the worst most boring way to play a game and some disgusting time wasting.

We deserved nothing even tho we should have had a penalty (that we would have missed) but in a game referee so badly by the worst ref in history and VAR bottling it it’s no surprise. 

Utter shite all round.

Spurs have to keep Eriksson until the end of the season now surely. yes he'll leave on a free in the summer but they had barely any creativity in attack until he came onto the pitch.

Newcastle were awful to watch but I imagine that's a legacy of Benitez that will slowly ebb away as they spend more training sessions with Bruce.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Spurs have to keep Eriksson until the end of the season now surely. yes he'll leave on a free in the summer but they had barely any creativity in attack until he came onto the pitch.

Newcastle were awful to watch but I imagine that's a legacy of Benitez that will slowly ebb away as they spend more training sessions with Bruce.

Yup, I imagine Levy is trying to get him on a 2 year deal with option to go in the summer - he wants the player and the money but Erik holds all the power and no doubt it’s fucking up our season at the moment.

However, we still have players to come back and most teams would want Deli and Sessegnon in their sides but we will struggle until we get the Erik/Jan issues sorted and the team back and fit.

Arsenal will maul is at the weekend unless Jan comes back fit.

North London derby already? Nom nom nom.

As a neutral, that’s a derby that’s elevated in recent years thanks to Tottenham’s progress (and after what felt like ages of Arsenal dominating...)

Least favourite derby is Liverpool Man United. Even with a vested interest it’s usually a shite game with a horrible tension beforehand. Only upside is winning it.

3 minutes ago, glb said:

Least favourite derby is Liverpool Man United. Even with a vested interest it’s usually a shite game with a horrible tension beforehand. Only upside is winning it.

The tension on here the day of that derby is always amazing. All the pool and Utd fans quietly ignoring the other side, not posting any top bants (that they were happily posting in the days leading up to it) just in case their team losses embarrassingly.

Even when one side go two nil up with 20 minutes to go the tension between the two sets of fans remains because if you start gloating too soon you're stupidly expensive defender will probably cock up and give away a penalty while getting sent off and you end up losing 3-2 which doesn't hurt any where near as much as seeing either Mr Do celebrate with his trademarked smiley (:omg:) or Dizzog make what he thinks is a stone cold zinger in the utd thread along the lines of "yOu WoN lAsT wEeK bUt LoSt ThIs WeEk LoL sUcKeRs!!".

It's always a beautiful day.

On 23/08/2019 at 22:16, bradigor said:

Apparently a deal has been agreed to sell Bury at the 11th hour. 

Fell through.

Less than an hour left, and the Football League will have to decide if they are going to throw them, and Bolton, out of the league altogether (in the case of the latter, it looks like the administrators are going to start to sell the assets starting tomorrow morning).

It's devastating. I feel quite upset. It almost happened to my club and I genuinely felt physically sick during those weeks so I can't imagine how sad the Bury fans feel right now.

• Upvote 3

On 25/08/2019 at 18:39, Shimmyhill said:

Utter shite all round.

We were there at the stadium for that. It was sort of an amusing game in some ways...Some fans were so angry I can't imagine they really get any enjoyment from the £££ they spend on games. 

My Fiancee is a Newcastle fan so was pleasantly surprised, and it was actually nice to see them be a much improved team after the last  game against Norwich. So you know, another side to the coin.

So as I'm basically a 50/50 split Newcastle and Spurs fan, seeing Newcastle get 3 points made it less frustrating. The last 30 minutes just felt like the same pass-semicircle around the goal with no real shots. From that point of view 

Fans were shouting at them to take a shot but from where we were sat (at the top, overlooking the goal) I really don't think Newcastle were letting any gaps open. On the few occasions Newcastle broke back from situations like that, they got better attempts on goal than Spurs did.

So all this said, I don't know whether it's better to lose a game than play a tactic that worked to keep their lead. I would say it is not.

I do wish Spurs had a bit more of a tactic to try in these situations though. I guess a game when it's both your teams you can look a bit more objective. If I had no love for Newcastle then I'd probably be much more frustrated. 

• Upvote 1

And since we haven't mentioned it here yet, Bolton have been given 2 weeks but it's very unclear if they'll survive long enough to take advantage of it.

Yeah the administrators threatened to sell assets from today but have seemingly backed down.  I think the administrators believe the club is insolvent, which may be part of the reason why they wanted to sell assets now.

7 hours ago, Dudley said:

And since we haven't mentioned it here yet, Bolton have been given 2 weeks but it's very unclear if they'll survive long enough to take advantage of it.

This aged well!