rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Just now, Plissken said:

What's he deflecting from?  It's not as if we were expected to win, or turned in a bad performance.  If he really wanted to be sarcastic, he'd probably have said something like "I wish we had had VAR the last three times we played them".

I assume he's equally concerned with time wasting whilst scores are level and niggly shit-housing shoves or knees in the back of players ? Maybe he just didn't have time in a short interview to mention them.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, its what makes his myopic whining so dull (and he's not alone in doing it) - I prefer the managers who just take it on the chin and don't talk up everybody else failings and not their own.

it's not like Burnley are playing to the Corinthian ideals is it ?

12 minutes ago, Gotters said:

it's not like Burnley are playing to the Corinthian ideals is it ?

You really might want to look into the disciplinary stats (including fouls) over the last four seasons for the two teams before you make such a claim.

6 minutes ago, Plissken said:

You really might want to look into the disciplinary stats (including fouls) over the last four seasons for the two teams before you make such a claim.

What's your point ? I suspect there is one in there but not sure what it is actually ?

That if you compare the disciplinary records of the two teams, then the only conclusion is that compared to Burnley, Arsenal are a bunch of thuggish diving cunts.

Arsenal more fouls, more yellows and fewer goal attempts today than the Clarets.  God, why don't they just play the game the proper way?

Just now, Plissken said:

That if you compare the disciplinary records of the two teams, then the only conclusion is that compared to Burnley, Arsenal are a bunch of thuggish diving cunts.

Well diving requires you to have the ball, so guess we'd always outrank you on that one.

Just now, Plissken said:

Trying to think if Norwich 3-0 Newcastle is a surprise or not.

It is to me, I thought it was 3-1

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

Arsenal more fouls, more yellows and fewer goal attempts today than the Clarets.  God, why don't they just play the game the proper way?

The yellow card thing really doesn't count for much when for example you can have burnley twice shove players to the ground off the ball and not get booked for it.

I can’t decide whether this performance means City will run away with the league or the (possible) result means that maybe they won’t. 

2 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Hope my LDF buddies are please with my lot, you wonder if luck could be with Liverpool this season after both results today!

Fuck off.... where was that in April ;) 

• Upvote 1

The implementation of VAR seems very strange. its happy to rule out a goal for handball (fair enough those are the rules.) but how comes it doesn't give the penalty in the first half. 

6 minutes ago, humdrum said:

The implementation of VAR seems very strange. its happy to rule out a goal for handball (fair enough those are the rules.) but how comes it doesn't give the penalty in the first half. 

It has to be clear and obvious...

eg:

Ref gives a penalty for a player being tripped, but VAR sees there was zero contact - Over turned

Ref waves play on for a handball call, but VAR sees player stuck his arm out deliberately - Overturned

In the case of the earlier penalty, the ref decided there wasn't enough contact to be considered a foul and/or both players were doing wrong. In this case VAR didn't see it as a clear and obvious error, as it was a more subjective call. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Plissken said:

What's he deflecting from?  It's not as if we were expected to win, or turned in a bad performance.  If he really wanted to be sarcastic, he'd probably have said something like "I wish we had had VAR the last three times we played them".

Exactly. Not today though.

16 minutes ago, bradigor said:

In the case of the earlier penalty, the ref decided there wasn't enough contact to be considered a foul and/or both players were doing wrong. In this case VAR didn't see it as a clear and obvious error, as it was a more subjective call. 

I think anyone watching the replay can clearly see it's a penalty and if the point of VAR is to get the correct calls, then it should be intervening,

As I said it the implementation that is killing it for me and it's purely because they don't want to hurt the ego of the referee.  

49 minutes ago, bradigor said:

It has to be clear and obvious...

eg:

Ref gives a penalty for a player being tripped, but VAR sees there was zero contact - Over turned

Ref waves play on for a handball call, but VAR sees player stuck his arm out deliberately - Overturned

Deliberate isn’t a consideration anymore.  

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Hope my LDF buddies are please with my lot, you wonder if luck could be with Liverpool this season after both results today!

Eh? What about luck with Spurs, the result was for them right or are they out of already?

• Downvote 1