Football Thread 2019/2020

4 hours ago, spork said:

I'm not suggesting Ole should be in there but how does forth place Frank make it in over him? Same for Rodgers who shit the bed once the restart came along.

Were these nominations from before lockdown or something? While we all know the other three are there just to make up the numbers Frank and Rodgers just seem to be odd inclusions.

For however much people want to laugh at Chelsea, for balance Lampard was working under a transfer ban, lost the best player the club has had for years and nobody really expected them to make the CL. I'd say he's more worthy than, say Ole, for example (given Man United's good season was only rescued from their own mistakes by the signing of Fernandes).

11 hours ago, Liamness said:

Just seen Ronaldo's goal. Probably the hardest I've ever seen a player strike a ball with their "weak" foot.

There's a highlight reel on YouTube. Ronaldo was immense in that game. He's just phenomenal. 

15 hours ago, spork said:

I'm not suggesting Ole should be in there but how does forth place Frank make it in over him? Same for Rodgers who shit the bed once the restart came along.

Were these nominations from before lockdown or something? While we all know the other three are there just to make up the numbers Frank and Rodgers just seem to be odd inclusions.

A new Premier League manager with no ability to bring in players despite losing his best player?  Lampard out performed by at least 2 places and made a cup final.  He's had a great year.

Better than "Same number of points as last year despite spending £148m" Ole.

44 minutes ago, Dudley said:

A new Premier League manager with no ability to bring in players despite losing his best player?  Lampard out performed by at least 2 places and made a cup final.  He's had a great year.

I hated Man I before you!

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Now do one for Brendan Rodgers!

They needed a 4th one and compared the table to their "This is the natural order of things table".

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

I hated Man I before you!

I don't have any feelings about Man "I".  But there's no good argument they overperformed. There is for Chelsea.

Sarri sacked by the evil empire. Presumably they’ll go for Poch.  That’s two clubs in a row where they’ve employed Sarri to bring the sort of football he played at Napoli and binned him off after one season where he won a trophy.  Surely if you want a change in style you’ve got to give your man two or three seasons? 

Whoever takes over will be hamstrung by Ronaldo being a passenger when the team is defending and will also put every free kick in a threatening position into the stands. 

24 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Whoever takes over will be hamstrung by Ronaldo being a passenger when the team is defending and will also put every free kick in a threatening position into the stands. 

Even if those two points are true, it's a ridiculous stretch to suggest he'd be in any way a burden to any team in the world, even now.

The best co-commentator I've ever listened to was Jimmy Armfield on Five Live. No trying to be a fucking personality like everyone these days on TV/radio, or giving his personal opinion like Alan 'The Opinion' Green. Just utterly listenable.

On 07/08/2020 at 18:14, Plissken said:

There is some noise that Dyche wasn't nominated.  I can't really agree, but he has definitely done better than a man who took Chelsea to a worse finish than last year and a bloke who managed to plummet out of the Champions League places in the second half of the season.  Hasenhuttl and NES would be my replacements.

Not sure Lampard is even top 10 tbh. God forbid he ever accomplishes anything good - the hype will be unbearable.

Martin Keown’s just said Messi never fails to disappoint. The fucking lack of language skill from these broadcasters is shocking. They just give a job to anyone who’s kicked a ball. They should test their ability to communicate or at least give them some training. 

I don’t why it’s pissing me off now, it’s been going on for years. It seems to only get worse though. First it was the adverbs, they disappeared like Argentinians in the ‘70s, now it’s entire phrases being bastardised or inverted. 

Ally McCoist should do it all. He’s personable and can speak properly. 

7 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Sarri sacked by the evil empire. Presumably they’ll go for Poch.  That’s two clubs in a row where they’ve employed Sarri to bring the sort of football he played at Napoli and binned him off after one season where he won a trophy.  Surely if you want a change in style you’ve got to give your man two or three seasons? 

Juve don’t really hire foreign coaches, I’d be surprised if they ever considered Pochettino.

27 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Juve don’t really hire foreign coaches, I’d be surprised if they ever considered Pochettino.

You're quite right.  They've just appointed Andrea Pirlo. Two year contract. 

I wonder what decision making went into deciding Seven Nation Army should play when a goal is scored, given they're playing in a neutral venue?

Wolves have been second best most of the game - after the penalty miss they played as if already convinced it wasn't going to go their way. Meanwhile, having got away with one, it seemed to give Sevilla more confidence - as if they needed any.