Football Thread 2019/2020

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Offside. still hate VAR. Olympiacos very unlucky

Fuck ‘em. At least with social distancing and an empty stadium, the directors can’t visit the officials at half time.

• Upvote 1

I thought we were outplayed for most of that - Olympiacos are a seriously good side so I'm not criticising us by saying so.

However - we had plenty of good chances, and we hung on. Brilliant stuff.

The last 8 of the Europa League is a magnificent achievement for us - very proud of what we've achieved this season. 

Of course, we're underdogs v Sevilla and would be against any of the sides in our side of the draw but this is the last 8. Of course we're underdogs! The rest of the sides still in the competition are all used to Champions League football. 

Can't wait til Tuesday. It should be a great game, and no matter what happens, we won't disgrace ourselves. 

• Upvote 1

£40m is a lot for a defender from a relegated team, particularly one that has been as defensively poor as Bournemouth have for the last three seasons.

Just looked it up - when Hull went down a mere three seasons ago, Leicester got Harry Maguire for £12m and Liverpool got Andy Robertson for £8m.

10 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

£40m is a lot for a defender from a relegated team, particularly one that has been as defensively poor as Bournemouth have for the last three seasons.

Just looked it up - when Hull went down a mere three seasons ago, Leicester got Harry Maguire for £12m and Liverpool got Andy Robertson for £8m.

I can only assume that Ake's had good PR people around him bigging him up a lot (even though I don't think he's all that great). Probably helped by the Press' love affair with 'plucky' Bournemouth.

Three years is a lifetime as far as modern transfer fees go (Neymar to PSG only happened that summer and the long-term effects of it hadn't kicked in yet) but Bournemouth paid £20m for Ake even back then. Double that for a player who now has a few years of top flight experience and international caps doesn't seem that outrageous to me with the way the market's gone. He's definitely seen as much more the finished article than either Maguire or Robertson were at the time.

Having said that, I think there are plenty of Premier League teams he would've improved but City probably aren't one of them.

As an aside, he's one of those players where I've always wondered how much of his reputation comes from being a FIFA/Football Manager 'wonderkid'. The effects of those games on the way young players are perceived and hyped up is pretty interesting to me but it's something I've rarely seen written about (outside of stuff like 'Whatever Happened to Freddy Adu?') and obviously it's pretty hard to quantify.

Turns out Garcia, who looked pretty bloody good for such a young defender, wants to leave City. That leaves Laporte on his own, the rest of the central defenders simply aren't good enough.

Ake definitely improves team when/if Garcia goes.

Craig Shakespeare in as assistant manager at Villa.  Not hugely surprising, he’s a Brummie, he’s a Villa fan, he goes back donkeys years with Dean Smith and he brings much needed Premier League experience.  Dunno what this means for John Terry, but put the last time Shakespeare was assistant at a midlands club who’d just avoided relegation they won the league the next season. So put your house on us for the title.  

• Upvote 1

There is some noise that Dyche wasn't nominated.  I can't really agree, but he has definitely done better than a man who took Chelsea to a worse finish than last year and a bloke who managed to plummet out of the Champions League places in the second half of the season.  Hasenhuttl and NES would be my replacements.

12 minutes ago, Plissken said:

There is some noise that Dyche wasn't nominated.  I can't really agree, but he has definitely done better than a man who took Chelsea to a worse finish than last year and a bloke who managed to plummet out of the Champions League places in the second half of the season.  Hasenhuttl and NES would be my replacements.

How dare you say anything negative about FLCFC!

I'm not suggesting Ole should be in there but how does forth place Frank make it in over him? Same for Rodgers who shit the bed once the restart came along.

Were these nominations from before lockdown or something? While we all know the other three are there just to make up the numbers Frank and Rodgers just seem to be odd inclusions.

56 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Wolves fined by UEFA for breaching FFP.

Not a fan of FFP but I believe it’s a small slap on the wrist. The period that was looked at began when Kenny Jackett was in charge In the Championship so it would have been tough To pass, really just illustrates ow far the club has come in a short time. 

Two other clubs were fined I believe.