Football Thread 2019/2020

1 minute ago, Stigweard said:

I mean, this is a football thread, Newcastle only has one football team in it, are we really going to be that pedantic?

F1161C51-0FC9-4F89-8E16-06D7C91289C7.gif.565f66372dfe9edd5f51c459efb65d17.gif

There was talk of a Qatari take over of Leeds. I really don't want that to happen, I know we're probably in a better state than Newcastle, but I think I'd have becoming another PSG and buying our way to success. 

On the other hand, we've been owned by Ken Bates, and anything is better than that. 

I really like our team right now. They seem to get on well, have a really good team spirit. Does anyone else feel like that about their team? Almost not wanting any star men coming in and upsetting the balance?

10 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

I really like our team right now. They seem to get on well, have a really good team spirit. Does anyone else feel like that about their team? Almost not wanting any star men coming in and upsetting the balance?

Yes I think it's really important. And it can really help teams who may not have the financial muscle to compete. Sheffield United strike me as that sort of team as do Burnley. But I think in both cases, they have a strong system the players have been living with for a number of seasons which helps them to get the job done.

36 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

I felt the same about Villa about a year ago, then I found out that everybody in the Premier League had much better players than we did.  :lol:

Did Villa have a great team spirit a year ago?  Half of them had only just met each other! :)

It seemed a few years ago that Championship teams were loading themselves up with loanees to get promoted and were then fucked when they couldn't keep most of them in the PL.

Is this still a thing? I'm out of touch with those teams.

I think first teams being relatively heavy on loans is quite common right through the division. It's definitely a factor in the unpredictability of the league since a fair chunk of your starters will be changing every season even before you get to sales.

22 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Did Villa have a great team spirit a year ago?  Half of them had only just met each other! :)

The team who finished 2018/19 definitely did.  There were a lot of comings and going’s over the summer (a team full of loanees and thirty sometimes in the final year of their contract will ensure that happens) but we did make three of the loan signings permanent and it probably would have been four if Manchester Utd hadn’t decided to recall Axel Tuanzebe so he could play 180 minutes of football this season. There still seemed to be a good vibe at the place, the jury is still out on Dean Smith but he got us promoted when we were left needing snookers before his appointment and then kept a hugely inexperienced squad with (apparently) the third lowest wage bill in the league up.  He does seem to be capable of instilling a good atmosphere in the place and based on the evidence of the past two seasons that seems to be important. 

We are at a crossroads this summer though. Again.  

40 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It seemed a few years ago that Championship teams were loading themselves up with loanees to get promoted and were then fucked when they couldn't keep most of them in the PL.

Is this still a thing? I'm out of touch with those teams.

There are a lot of loans, yes. Villa went up and lost Abraham for example. Leeds have made sure they had the option to buy on all their loans except Ben White, as Brighton wouldn't have it. 

13 hours ago, ckny said:

Are Rangers the first British team to be competing in two different seasons at the same time, given they’re still in the Europa League for 2019/20 and the 2020/21 SPL has started? I imagine this happens all the time with the Scandinavian teams, but must be a new thing here, no?

It's happened before, but not in the same way. The 2008 Setanta Cup, between the best teams in the North and Republic of Ireland, was held from February to September that year. As such, it spanned the 07-08 and 08-09 seasons for the UK entrants of Cliftonville, Dungannon Swifts, Linfield and Glentoran. And, as it happens, Derry City, the NI-based club playing in the League of Ireland, who also achieved the feat in the 2009-10 edition, when they played their group games between August and March, spanning two domestic seasons for them. We can probably discount Derry because they don't play in a UK league, but the other four do. No other Setanta Cup was played over two seasons for either association.

The Inter-Cities Fairs Cup - which preceeded the UEFA Cup - ran over multiple seasons in its first couple of competitions. Birmingham City competed in the first edition, playing group stage games between May 1956 and April 1957, and then the semi-final defeat in October '57. That spans two, or possible three seasons (the FA Cup final was played prior to Birmingham's first group game, so whether you count that game as part of the 55-56 or 56-57 seasons is up to you). 

They competed again the following tournament, playing eight matches from October '58 until picking up the trophy in May '60. 

Both are oddities - the Fairs Cup was never intended to be played on a seasonal schedule, while the Setanta Cup involved teams from two countries playing in separate calendars and the edition in question had to align with one or the other. I can't think of any examples that are similar to Rangers' case.

12 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I mean, this is a football thread, Newcastle only has one football team in it,

Newcastle Benfield's tears are carried away in the wind...

I would have said Newcastle Blue Star but they folded... and now I discover they've reformed!

4 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

There are a lot of loans, yes. Villa went up and lost Abraham for example. Leeds have made sure they had the option to buy on all their loans except Ben White, as Brighton wouldn't have it. 

I think the plan with all of our loanees is to have them playing first team football for us. The faint hope for Leeds is because we have about 77 defensive players, buying Ben White is a possibility assuming someone comes along with an offer we can't refuse. I understand the only defensive player going nowhere is Adam Webster, but we'd at least have the conversation about any of the rest.

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Both are oddities - the Fairs Cup was never intended to be played on a seasonal schedule, while the Setanta Cup involved teams from two countries playing in separate calendars and the edition in question had to align with one or the other. I can't think of any examples that are similar to Rangers' case.

The Fairs Cup isn’t even a real competition, you didn’t qualify on merit (it was invite only like a lot of pre season tournaments are) and it wasn’t sanctioned by UEFA who to this day don’t recognise it.  It seems to have an elevated status on these shores because they recycled the trophy for the UEFA Cup/Europa League and Newcastle United list it as their most recently won honour. 

Clive Tyldesley has signed for Rangers as their commentator, hope he stays ther. Made for each other. 

As for the two seasons at the same time thing, it applies to a handful of teams up here as last season's Scottish Cup still has two rounds to go, final scheduled for a few days before Christmas. A team could win two Scottish Cups in the space of six months. 

Just now, dr_manhattan^ said:

Not a hope in hell of me clicking that.

Oh you should.  Because think beforehand about what it could have in it based on just that still and I guarantee that you will have ticked each one of them off by the end.

On 03/08/2020 at 11:29, Naysonymous said:

we did make three of the loan signings permanent and it probably would have been four if Manchester Utd hadn’t decided to recall Axel Tuanzebe so he could play 180 minutes of football this season.

I think this is unfair, Tuanzebe has spent most of the season injured it seems.

I'm pretty disappointed but Brentford blew it against Barnsley and shouldn't have even been in the play offs. I just wanted to see a new team in the top flight. Fulham are so boring and West Brom went up too and they're even more boring.

On 03/08/2020 at 10:15, Naysonymous said:

I felt the same about Villa about a year ago, then I found out that everybody in the Premier League had much better players than we did.  :lol:

Not quite everyone.  There were three teams at least who didn't :(

Ironically I still believe Watford have better players - in midfield and attack at least - than a lot of our peers but they fucked it by being too injury prone (Deeney, Deloufeu, Sarr) and lazy (Pereyra, Success). Not helped by a championship defence and wasting 10 games under QSF's awful management.

Oh good it's that time just before the PL starts when the amateur pundits on Twitter lay into the promoted teams (minus Leeds), Burnley, Brighton and, new for 2020/21 Villa as relegation candidates.

The only prediction I'll tentatively make is that Everton with be the first established PL team that Leeds will take 3 points from.